Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2022, 03:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Tires hot and smoking

Okay, picked my Rv up today from service, drive it home, and when I git out I could smell an odor like burnt rubber. Looking at rear tires and they looked like they were smoking/steaming. It’ was 40 degrees outside. Tire felt hot, rim felt cool, any ideas or suggestions. Is it a tire pressure issue or something else. Anyone know what the tire pressure should be, I’m not sure you use the tire pressure listed in door jam on chassis.

2022 Thor Magnitude RB34, 5000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022 Thor Motor Coach Magnitude RB34 Class C Motorhome (Stock# 13992) 13.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	36338  

Old 03-02-2022, 03:52 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Either the pressure posted on the door or the sidewall.
I'm sure others will state to weigh the rig then adjust pressures accordingly, but in my opinion 99.9% of rv owners will, sooner than later, have their rv loaded to the max so inflating the tires to max will have you covered.
Yes it may create a stiffer ride, but if you want a cushy smooth ride get a luxury car not something built on a truck chassis, especially a Ford chassis.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:06 AM   #3

THOR #2531
Thank you. The ride has been excellent but I will take safety over luxury ride any day. I have never had tires get hit on me before. Thank you for the input. I will check pressure in the daylight.

Do you think low pressure would cause them to get hot?
Old 03-02-2022, 04:11 AM   #4

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Low pressure (too low) will definitely cause heating because the sidewalls flex much more causing friction which creates heat.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:14 AM   #5

THOR #2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Low pressure (too low) will definitely cause heating because the sidewalls flex much more causing friction which creates heat.
I will know if that’s the issue tomorrow. You would have thought service would have checked the pressure before releasing the unit they’ve had for 4 1/2 months.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:16 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
I will know if that’s the issue tomorrow. You would have thought service would have checked the pressure before releasing the unit they’ve had for 4 1/2 months.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:27 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Europe
THOR #7351
That your rimms where not hot, indicate its not a bearing or brake that gives the heat, so I think pressure is way to low, if it gives even rubber smell.
Or it must be that the tires rubb against something.

A quick way to check, if you dont have a gauge, is to simply measure the deflection of tire.
This is difference between from bottom rimm edge to top of tire, and upper rimmedge to the ground. Deflection must be between 15% and 20% of the free flexible part of sidewall .
Calculate sidewallhight, and substract 1 inch of that for the treath and part in the rimm.

Or yust yudge the bulge of sidewall.

Once you have determined the axle- or better axle-end- weights fully loaded, I can calculate save pressures for you.

Do I see dualload on the picture???
If inner tire then is flat, outer tire carries all the weight.
Was it on both sides or only one side.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
Okay, picked my Rv up today from service, drive it home, and when I git out I could smell an odor like burnt rubber. Looking at rear tires and they looked like they were smoking/steaming. It’ was 40 degrees outside. Tire felt hot, rim felt cool, any ideas or suggestions. Is it a tire pressure issue or something else. Anyone know what the tire pressure should be, I’m not sure you use the tire pressure listed in door jam on chassis.

2022 Thor Magnitude RB34, 5000 miles.
It's on the sticker on the MH. That pressure is for OEM tires at full GVWR for the chassis. No need to inflate to full sidewall pressure. That is the pressure for the max load rating of the tire.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1646226188
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	77
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	36339  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:16 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
If this is just on set of duals you might consider having them removed and checked for damage internally

Low pressure and road hazards are the primary cause of tire failures

My tires were 20 psig low when i picked up my Coach and luckily we stayed at the dealership overnight

Visually they looked fine

Enjoy the rig
Old 03-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #11

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
I always stick a tire gauge on the tires, or thump them with a hammer on the tread (when in a hurry), and verify that one is not flat or super low. Don't wait for the issue to "appear" with tire pressure (same goes for dip sticks), check regularly and never leave it to someone else (my opinion). Better to be at the camp site that on the side of the road. :-)

PS - If you are not sure what tire thumping is, just take a hammer and hit the tire tread straight on. The tire thump will make a "thud" sound. The tires should sound about the same and the hammer shoudl have about teh same spring-back. If one is really low, or flat, the sound with be apparently different and the spring-back will be noticeably less. But a guage is the best method, and make sure that you screw that metal sealing cap back on nice and tight. Tire valve extenders can leak if installed at wierd angles and the metal seal cap will prevent a tire form deflating.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:57 PM   #12

Model: SV34
THOR #24580
My money is on "Low Pressure" after sitting at the dealer for 4 1/2 months - Highly doubt they checked them.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:04 PM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
I'd also recommend a good name brand TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) to keep an eye on the pressures & temperatures.
I had the TST507 system on all 10 tires of my truck & 5th wheel & would highly recommend this system. There are cheaper systems, some use your phone as the monitor, but in my opinion I would rather see the information instantly without having to pickup the phone to open the app. Cheaper also usually means you get what you pay for.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:18 PM   #14

THOR #2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
That your rimms where not hot, indicate its not a bearing or brake that gives the heat, so I think pressure is way to low, if it gives even rubber smell.
Or it must be that the tires rubb against something.

A quick way to check, if you dont have a gauge, is to simply measure the deflection of tire.
This is difference between from bottom rimm edge to top of tire, and upper rimmedge to the ground. Deflection must be between 15% and 20% of the free flexible part of sidewall .
Calculate sidewallhight, and substract 1 inch of that for the treath and part in the rimm.

Or yust yudge the bulge of sidewall.

Once you have determined the axle- or better axle-end- weights fully loaded, I can calculate save pressures for you.

Do I see dualload on the picture???
If inner tire then is flat, outer tire carries all the weight.
Was it on both sides or only one side.
Both sides and I ordered a gauge/Inflator today. Going to take 5 days to get it.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:22 PM   #15

THOR #2531
Tpm

I took it for granted a new unit would have TPM system. I thought it would be standard on new chassis. I guess my bad. I will definitely be buying a TPM system.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:35 PM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m guessing something is rubbing on a tire. If the pressure was low enough to create that much heat I think you’d see it looking flat. I also agree on running your tire pressures at the yellow sticker levels. Those levels are set for the maximum GVWR. Use that until you have a few trips under your belt then weigh and use the tire manufacturer’s weight table to fine tune. It’ll be less than the yellow sticker unless you are overweight and then you should start offloading stuff. Also strongly recommend a TPMS so you can keep an eye on things while you travel.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:26 AM   #17

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I would look for wear on the forward mud flaps of the rear tires first, then the rear mud flaps on the rear wheels. Look to see if they are being sucked into the tires while driving. I was baffled with a similar burning rubber smell until one of the fronts ones eventually was drawn completely into the rear tire and cut it down on the highway.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:26 AM   #18

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Tennessee
THOR #25865
My Thor Four Winds 31W has tpm in cluster panel of dash. Can't believe your MH does not have it.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:19 AM   #19

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
i have installed the TPMS system, and manually check and fill tires prior to a trip. I fill to 82 psi prior to driving. Then check against the TPMS for synch. Now i see 90-95 PSI during cruise and 32 Deg C on the temps. This has now become part of my scan every 1/2 hr. Best investment ever.

Prior to the installation of the TPMS. I found my inner rear tire almost empty. That was a wakeup call for me. Make sure you change batteries when system sticks on a tire pressure.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:24 PM   #20

THOR #2531
Findings

Well outside tires were at 92, driver inner tire was 92, and I the inner passenger tire was at 77. I assume that’s what was causing the hot tires. Is that a correct finding?

I’m not due to move until April 15th for summarization, so won’t know if it was the fix. I inflated to the Thor specifications on the door jam of the cab. 95 front 110 back.
williamprunty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smoking tires