Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2022, 03:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26016
Toilet

Hi my Thor Toilet does not hold water any more in the bowl. I brushed the rubber gasket thoroughly but there is a slow leak. Do I need to replace the gasket?

Old 10-20-2022, 03:22 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
yes... easy-peasey!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:02 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Before you replace the gasket, try applying some plumbers grease around the seal. Some have used Vaseline, but there is a concern about some of the ingredients.

You may have to reapply in a year.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:17 AM   #4

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
You need a good toilet seal conditioner

I was referred to this product by a seasoned veteran on this site. I have just started to use only 4 - 6 weeks or so. My coach is 3 years old so maybe too late, but I will use from here on out. I think the directions call for too much though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NSU0ZW...roduct_details
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:32 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I agree with Mr Sunshine about the plumber's grease. Put some on your finger (rubber glove optional ) and rub it directly around the seal. I've never had to replace a seal once I discovered plumber's grease.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:16 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
X3 plumber's grease WORKS for us
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:24 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If you have a Thetford toilet & get tired of constant issues with it replace it with a Dometic 310 (round bowl) or 320 (elongated bowl), both come in a tall version if your in that age category needing help getting up, IMO they are a much better quality toilet.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:57 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
If you have a Thetford toilet & get tired of constant issues with it replace it with a Dometic 310 (round bowl) or 320 (elongated bowl), both come in a tall version if your in that age category needing help getting up, IMO they are a much better quality toilet.
Yup! What he said.......
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:30 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Yup! What he said.......
So what is better, the Dometic has a nicer hole

Now I got to go find out what kind of toilet I have
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-26-2022, 06:53 PM   #10

State: Louisiana
THOR #10324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyl View Post
Hi my Thor Toilet does not hold water any more in the bowl. I brushed the rubber gasket thoroughly but there is a slow leak. Do I need to replace the gasket?
If it's a Thetford, they normally leak from the bowl if you ease off the flush pedal. If you let it snap back it normally seals. If not, it's time to replace the gasket.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:07 PM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsrsb View Post
If it's a Thetford, they normally leak from the bowl if you ease off the flush pedal. If you let it snap back it normally seals. If not, it's time to replace the gasket.
Then if you let the pedal snap back a few times the pedal falls off, a replacement pedal for mine was $89 + shipping, a new Dometic toilet at the time was $239 if I recall. The Thetford made for great target practice with my son's new Glock.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:08 PM   #12

Model: Siesta Sprinter
THOR #1178
Do you keep it lubricated? I apply vaseline every 6-12 mos. Other products work too. Have heard of adding glycerine before storage to create a film that prevents water from evaporating & also lubes the gasket, haven’t tried it myself.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:27 PM   #13

State: Louisiana
THOR #10324
Quote:
Then if you let the pedal snap back a few times the pedal falls off, a replacement pedal for mine was $89 + shipping, a new Dometic toilet at the time was $239 if I recall. The Thetford made for great target practice with my son's new Glock.
I haven't had that problem, but the flush valve started leaking after a couple of years. PITA to replace, and the new one also leaked. Replaced the bowl assembly with a struggle, and with covid and no travel, we're still good so far.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:15 PM   #14

THOR #13058
So I had to do this check

I have 3 Thetford Toilets and 2 Dometics

Main toilet in RV is Thetford 3 years old
Main toilet in Boat is Dometic 5 years old
The others are all portable and 10 plus years old.

Never had an issue with any of them.

Had I heard about Plumbers grease, I may have used that versus the Thetford Toilet Conditioner only because it is cheaper. I am 100% certain if both are used properly they will work.

Never had a leaking water problem in any of the toilets. But I use mine with some regularity. I have heard of some people complain of noise when flushing at night and yes you can't flush at night without hearing, but that is true at home if anyone is within 20 feet of my toilet when I flush.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:19 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Ok, so I prop up my Thetford side ways, I get my pellet gun and aim right at the center and hit nothing I conclude the Thetford hole is just too large, next RV I buy I will look for a Dometic as OEM
Old 10-26-2022, 10:03 PM   #16

Model: Ace 27.2
State: Ontario
THOR #11699
Tighten the screw that holds the waste ball drive arm to the waste ball. If the screw is loose then the parts will start to chew off the plastic tongue and groove. If there is significant damage that tightening won't fix just replace both parts, if you can find them.

You will need to pry off the pedal to get access to the screw.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:18 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
That is what happens with my unit, a Thetford Aqua Magic. I will give the plumbers grease a try (or maybe the Thetford lubricant).
Old 10-27-2022, 01:26 PM   #18

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
That is a great idea, mine is the Thetford and I don't like the flush system in the back, the Dometic 310 has holes all around the bowel. The other great feature on the Dometic is to change the gasket you just grab it with your teeth, I mean use your fingers and reach in and pull it out and slide the new one in. On the Thetford the toilet must be removed and the bottom removed from the top and put back together and reinstalled. When mine goes bad I'll replace it with the Dometic unless a better one comes along
Old 10-27-2022, 07:18 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
That is a great idea, mine is the Thetford and I don't like the flush system in the back, the Dometic 310 has holes all around the bowel. The other great feature on the Dometic is to change the gasket you just grab it with your teeth, I mean use your fingers and reach in and pull it out and slide the new one in. On the Thetford the toilet must be removed and the bottom removed from the top and put back together and reinstalled. When mine goes bad I'll replace it with the Dometic unless a better one comes along
Don’t fancy the holes all around the bowel………

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:22 PM   #20

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Don’t fancy the holes all around the bowel………
Bowl