Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #14649
Toilet issues

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and to Rv life. I have a 2012 Thor chateau, and am learning the ropes. The problem I’m having is when I turn on the water pump the toilet fills up and wants to spill over so have to keep flusing don’t understand why. Any thoughts? Would appreciate some help on this thx.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Sounds like a definite problem with the flush valve. To narrow down possibilities - When you step on the foot pedal to flush, does the pedal quickly return to the fully up position? Have you tried pulling it fully up by hand or lifting it with your foot?

If the pedal doesn't come all the way up, the valve won't close and water will continue to flow. If the pedal does come all the way up and water still flows, the valve needs rebuilding or replacement.

Considering the age of your rig, it may also be something as simple as giving the pedal/valve assembly a thorough cleaning and a shot or two of lubricant.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum !
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:33 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
It could be too much water pressure, a bad or sticking flush valve
Old 03-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
The flush valve does two things, it opens the bottom so the waste falls to the tank and two it turns on the valve to allow the water in. Depending on the type of toilet the valve assembly is a fairly easy and straight forward one to repair. I would start by taking the valve apart and inspecting all the working parts. I would go on the mfg. web site and pull up the valve assembly diagram. I would think that when you push the peddle the fresh water valve stays open maybe it has a built up on it.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:42 PM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
toilet peddle

Hi friends....Ron and I got the Axis our of winter storage and found the toilet peddle laying on the floor. Today, we are checking it out to see what, and if, we can set it back in place or if it should be replaced. Has anyone else had an issue with the toilet, like this?
WE are now a duo in RV maintenance as Ron has memory issues and, thank goodness...all the years we have been married, I have been his helper...so he educated me on many things...which now he does not remember....
Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The pedal seems ro have become disengaged from the flush valve...
Has it broken; or just slipped a bit?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #7
vkb

THOR #3510
Hi Bob ! when we got the Axis out of storage...the peddle was laying on the floor next to the toilet...It does not appear to be broken...you can see the mechanisms which fit into the peddle in order for it to work...there is a very stiff spring ending, which fits into a small area...and apparently, must be pulled down with pliers or pried with a screwdriver, so it will go back in its slot ...
Do you have any ideas? Ron has always been so handy and could figure anything out.....not now....

I will take photos and post them...
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
You'll have to assess whether anything is 'stripped' or broken. When you snap your pics, take some of the internal threads on the toilet (female) and external threads on the bolt (male). If you ca identify the type of toilet (usually stamped on the back). that may help if there's a fix to be had.

The spring is a very difficult thing to deal with. I'll attempt to find the video I saw on a tool some guy created for a $1 that assisted in getting the spring into the proper position. Some folks out here may know what I'm talking about and help scour youtube for the video. I'll post it if I find it.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:05 PM   #9

THOR #12189
Toilet Pedal and Spring

Old 05-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #10

THOR #12189
Overflowing toilet

Old 05-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #11
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
THANK YOU !
i AM POSTING PHOTOS of the mechanism and the peddle...nothing seems to be broken...
AND...that stinkin spring does need one of those tools...which I think Ron has in one of his many tool drawers !!

I will view the video you posted !

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-06-2021, 08:41 PM   #12
vkb

THOR #3510
toilet peddle

HERE ARE THE PHOTOS I TOOK !
Sorry for the delay...we were playing with the water pressure too !! Finally, hooked up hose from home and ran it through for a few minutes to make sure we didnt have a blockage somewhere....then disconnected hose ... turned on water pump and all is well...presume it needed a bit of a prime...

back to the TOILET ISSUE...

Click image for larger version

Name:	AXIS TOILET MECH..._1116.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	30306

Name:	AXIS_TOILET PEDDLE..1115.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	30307

i VIEWED THE VIDEO...SOOOO IT APPEARS OUR SPRING IS IN PLACE AGAINST THE TOILET BASE....it will not go into the slot in the peddle ! the peddle is marked .. where the spring should slip in...
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-06-2021, 09:15 PM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
That appears to be a Thetford toilet, if so this is only the beginning of the pedal falling off + replacing the pedal, which BTW is the only permanent fix, cost $90+.
Your best solution/cure is to replace that POS Thetford with a Dometic 310 (round bowl) or 320 (elongated bowl) for about $250 & about an hour +/- labor. Also add a shut off valve to the water line behind the toilet while your at it.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:22 AM   #14

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
HERE ARE THE PHOTOS I TOOK !
Sorry for the delay...we were playing with the water pressure too !! Finally, hooked up hose from home and ran it through for a few minutes to make sure we didnt have a blockage somewhere....then disconnected hose ... turned on water pump and all is well...presume it needed a bit of a prime...

back to the TOILET ISSUE...

Attachment 30306

Attachment 30307

i VIEWED THE VIDEO...SOOOO IT APPEARS OUR SPRING IS IN PLACE AGAINST THE TOILET BASE....it will not go into the slot in the peddle ! the peddle is marked .. where the spring should slip in...

Make sure the various plastic pins on the side of the toilet are set exactly like one of the previous videos shows for easier install of the peddle. it looks like the flush ball control on your picture is not all the way in it travel, which may prevent the peddle from going on correctly. It is hard to tell on some of the small videos etc but it may only be off a little and causing the peddle not to go back on. I attached a picture from the video showing the pin orientation.....hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Thetford Peddle Pin Orientation.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	30313  
Old 05-07-2021, 09:11 PM   #15
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
make sure the various plastic pins on the side of the toilet are set exactly like one of the previous videos shows for easier install of the peddle. It looks like the flush ball control on your picture is not all the way in it travel, which may prevent the peddle from going on correctly. It is hard to tell on some of the small videos etc but it may only be off a little and causing the peddle not to go back on. I attached a picture from the video showing the pin orientation.....hope it helps.

thank you !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-18-2021, 01:51 PM   #16
vkb

THOR #3510
toilet replacement

Thank YOU to everyone who contributed and helped with our toilet pedal issue with the Thetford which was factory installed. The keeper on the spring broke so we replaced the toilet....with another Thetford with the hand flush feature. The install was easy...the Aqua Magic V comes with the seal, and longer install bolts which must be used. We purchased from PPL in Houston and received in 3 days...I DO wish the sales force had suggested getting the hose extension. The toilet we replaced has the water hookup at the bottom of the toilet...the new toilet has water hookup on the top of the backside. We shopped locally for a hose with 1/2" connectors to no avail. Found the Thetford extension hose and 1/2" male on both ends adapter on Amazon. IF PPL had been on their toes, they would have gotten the sale of this hose !!! Our complete install was delayed a couple days...but, all is OK and if a person can love a toilet...then I guess we do !! ALL is well with our Axis !!

Happy Camping

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to see that this problem is now "behind" you...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:46 PM   #18
vkb

THOR #3510
THANK YOU BOB ! It is, definately, in the REAR view mirror !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-19-2021, 07:57 PM   #19

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Hi friends....Ron and I got the Axis our of winter storage and found the toilet peddle laying on the floor. Today, we are checking it out to see what, and if, we can set it back in place or if it should be replaced. Has anyone else had an issue with the toilet, like this?
WE are now a duo in RV maintenance as Ron has memory issues and, thank goodness...all the years we have been married, I have been his helper...so he educated me on many things...which now he does not remember....
Kay
You just hijacked the thread. you should start your own thread to keep down the confusion.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #20

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Come on back Seboya. Try it again. you got hijacked.