Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
There is no doubt in my mind that there is something wrong with the design of the black tank for this particular model.. We're the only one that I can see who have had their toilet relocated. The majority of the owners having the same style unit (Thor 30.2) also are having issues with their toilet and black tank. In a conversation with a local plumber, he suggested the slope of the tank underneath the toilet(s) might be too steep. He said if the slope is too steep the water can go down into the deep end of the tank so fast that it won't carry anything with it. He stated the slope of a drain in a house a drop of 1/4 to 1/2 inch over 10 feet. It seems you just need enough so the it goes down hill eventually. I just wonder how the black tank design on the 30.2 compares to other black tank designs. Maybe the fix by Thor would be to put a different designed tank, one that allows for the proper flow of debris and liquid, as part of a recall. Having a toilet that doesn't work properly can and is very frustrating. Defeats the purpose if you have to use a bathroom in the campground.

I'd also like to point out on the plumbing design for the 30.2, the shower also drains into the black tank.

We feel the pain.

Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #42

Model: 29.3
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2125
Toilet isue

Just started using the RV Ridex . Have not seen a major difference so far.
FRANKO
Old 09-26-2016, 11:42 PM   #43

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Our 2015 30.2 shower drains into the grey water tank. Some of the schematics we were given just did not match our build, even though they were labeled for the 30.2. In looking for certain electrical items even Thor could not say for certain where to find it, we were told, look here, or here, or maybe here. I guess things were adjusted as they gained more experience. Or maybe not.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:36 AM   #44

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that there is something wrong with the design of the black tank for this particular model.. We're the only one that I can see who have had their toilet relocated. The majority of the owners having the same style unit (Thor 30.2) also are having issues with their toilet and black tank. In a conversation with a local plumber, he suggested the slope of the tank underneath the toilet(s) might be too steep. He said if the slope is too steep the water can go down into the deep end of the tank so fast that it won't carry anything with it. He stated the slope of a drain in a house a drop of 1/4 to 1/2 inch over 10 feet. It seems you just need enough so the it goes down hill eventually. I just wonder how the black tank design on the 30.2 compares to other black tank designs. Maybe the fix by Thor would be to put a different designed tank, one that allows for the proper flow of debris and liquid, as part of a recall. Having a toilet that doesn't work properly can and is very frustrating. Defeats the purpose if you have to use a bathroom in the campground.

I'd also like to point out on the plumbing design for the 30.2, the shower also drains into the black tank.

We feel the pain.
That's hard to believe. Have you verified this? You could run the shower with the grey valve open to verify. That's a big problem.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #45
jro

State: Ohio
THOR #8478
Thor ACE 30.2 : Toilet Clogs

The toilet design is flawed and continually clogs. Our ACE 30.2 2016 has a raised seat with angled pipe to the Black Tank. My understanding is the seat was raised a few years ago to reduce the angle on its way to the tank but did not fully resolve the flow problem. It is still most evident. The smallest amount of single ply when coupled with the waste and a full tank of water prior to drop will result in a backup and air bubble pop.

We've invested in a number of trials to a solution: a flexible clean-out wand, a tornado flush on the exterior of the black tank, a number of different types of plungers, boiling water, ice, soaps... none of which seem to be preventative or abate the cause only serving to resolve the issue after the fact.

I doubt a recall will ever happen seeing the 'nature' of the problem, but I'd be happy to pay for a solution if Thor or someone else can suggest one.

... a dark blight on an otherwise wonderful rig.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #46

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jro View Post
The toilet design is flawed and continually clogs. Our ACE 30.2 2016 has a raised seat with angled pipe to the Black Tank. My understanding is the seat was raised a few years ago to reduce the angle on its way to the tank but did not fully resolve the flow problem. It is still most evident. The smallest amount of single ply when coupled with the waste and a full tank of water prior to drop will result in a backup and air bubble pop.

We've invested in a number of trials to a solution: a flexible clean-out wand, a tornado flush on the exterior of the black tank, a number of different types of plungers, boiling water, ice, soaps... none of which seem to be preventative or abate the cause only serving to resolve the issue after the fact.

I doubt a recall will ever happen seeing the 'nature' of the problem, but I'd be happy to pay for a solution if Thor or someone else can suggest one.

... a dark blight on an otherwise wonderful rig.
Well apparently to do away with the macerator they had this brilliant idea to turn the tank around. Never in the history of rv's has a tank worked by dropping waste onto a slope, it works fine for water. This design makes the whole old theory of putting a gallon of water in your tank to start useless. Very very poor design and now we are stuck with it. I have thought about turning the tank back around but not sure how they attach the fittings from the sink and toilet to the top of the tank. This is the absolute worst item about this coach. They should have put the slide on the opposite side and swapped sides with the bathroom.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #47

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You may have already done this and if so ignore. Even if you do have an angled drain pipe waste should still flow. You said you get a big air bubble, this would suggest a venting problem more than anything else. Two things I would check carefully, the air admittance valve, and the roof vent. The air admittance valve is probably under the bathroom sink, it will unscrew by hand. Remove the valve and check to see that it is functional and not frozen or plugged up. On the roof remove the vent cap and look for an obstruction, could be clogged by an insect nest or not installed properly. Because they aren't expensive I would replace the OEM cap with a 360 vent cap, better venting and almost no way to have an obstruction. Shine a good flashlight down the vent pipe and look for any problems. Have someone flush the toilet and make sure you can hear it thru the pipe, if not something is blocked. Without proper venting your toilet will never flush properly, even if it is a straight shot to the tank.

I hope this may be helpful to you! Problems like this can be very frustrating!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #48

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
You may have already done this and if so ignore. Even if you do have an angled drain pipe waste should still flow. You said you get a big air bubble, this would suggest a venting problem more than anything else. Two things I would check carefully, the air admittance valve, and the roof vent. The air admittance valve is probably under the bathroom sink, it will unscrew by hand. Remove the valve and check to see that it is functional and not frozen or plugged up. On the roof remove the vent cap and look for an obstruction, could be clogged by an insect nest or not installed properly. Because they aren't expensive I would replace the OEM cap with a 360 vent cap, better venting and almost no way to have an obstruction. Shine a good flashlight down the vent pipe and look for any problems. Have someone flush the toilet and make sure you can hear it thru the pipe, if not something is blocked. Without proper venting your toilet will never flush properly, even if it is a straight shot to the tank.

Im not sure about those who have the raised toilet, mine isnt and the problem isn't an angled drain pipe. They put the tank in backwards so you are pooping on the slope, they may say crap runs down hill but in a black tank that doesn't so much apply. The slope never sees any water till the black tank is almost full. So what happens is the poop and paper build a teepee right under the toilet.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #49

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post

We feel the pain.
I have the 29.3 but also the terrible design of the black tank in backwards. Our bath sink drains to the black tank but no the shower. I would be surprised if they did that in yours. Simply connect the hose preferrable with a clear connector and open the gray tank valve and turn on the shower I would expect you will see the water coming out. If it doesnt then close the gray and open the black and try again. If the shower water comes from the black tank you are really in for issues .
Old 07-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #50

THOR #2125
29 3 2015 ACe Black tank

One thing that I have found that seems to work the best after seeing and trying multiple recommendations from fellow Thor owners is the following.
Since the Black water tank is only 26 Gallons my concern has always been it is too small and I need to be concerned about filling it up with too much water too soon.
What I have discovered and find that works best for me. After dumping my black water tank I immediately add 5-10 gallons of fresh water along with any additive that one likes . I have found that by doing this that paper and waste fall into water instead of collecting on the bottom of the tank. The space between where the solids drop and bottom of tank is only a couple inches on my unit. This packing or collection point never seems to get wet enough to dissolve and float in the tank, as its should.
When I flush my Black water tank I get better removal of the solids and paper since they have disperse better and have dissolve more.
FrankO
Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #51

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post

I need to correct my post some, I did not realize that the 30.1 had the toilet on the drivers side of coach, I can see why the elevated toilet there, the remainder of the models have the toilet on the passenger side of the coach. So we are pooping over the shallow end of the tank which is approx. 3" deep and tapers to the other end, you can't flush enough water to move the stuff down or if you do your tank is full in no time.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #52

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgianni View Post
One thing that I have found that seems to work the best after seeing and trying multiple recommendations from fellow Thor owners is the following.
Since the Black water tank is only 26 Gallons my concern has always been it is too small and I need to be concerned about filling it up with too much water too soon.
What I have discovered and find that works best for me. After dumping my black water tank I immediately add 5-10 gallons of fresh water along with any additive that one likes . I have found that by doing this that paper and waste fall into water instead of collecting on the bottom of the tank. The space between where the solids drop and bottom of tank is only a couple inches on my unit. This packing or collection point never seems to get wet enough to dissolve and float in the tank, as its should.
When I flush my Black water tank I get better removal of the solids and paper since they have disperse better and have dissolve more.
FrankO
But what good is that? Adding 10 gallons of water just uses up 1/3 of your tank. If you are without sewer connection you're not going to go very long before it is full
Old 07-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #53

Model: A.C.E 30.2
THOR #4139
I had the same problem until i found my problem, read my thread and try the things i done.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...tion-4267.html
JEEP JKU
BrianA.C.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #54

THOR #2125
Thumbs up 29 3 2015 ACe Black tank

I know it seems contrary to the normal procedures but seeing water at the bottom of the black tank versus and dry spot reduces the piling up of debris in the one location where you need to keep material free flowing.
It works for me . If don't do it I have to bring out the flushing wand and break up the clog. Bad tank design means you must get creative.
Also, since my bathroom sink dumps into the black water tank I try to add hot water after each use as well. Heat helps with dissolving solids and paper.

It's worth a try
Old 07-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #55

Model: A.C.E 30.2
THOR #4139
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
But what good is that? Adding 10 gallons of water just uses up 1/3 of your tank. If you are without sewer connection you're not going to go very long before it is full
Adding water before driving at least moves around and keeps any toilet paper from drying out and becoming a brick in the tank. That was my problem, once i drilled a hole in tank i was able to look inside and found a large pile of dried toilet paper right under exit pipe from toilet. the paper was so hard i had to use high pressure water hose to break it apart. I have not had any problems since cleaned out and use half a bowl of water any time the toilet is flushed with paper in it.
JEEP JKU
BrianA.C.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #56

THOR #2125
29 3 2015 ACe Black tank

That's exactly why I add the water before each use . No pile ups no problem.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #57

THOR #1620
Filling the black tank 2/3 full of water is not a solution as much as it is an inconvenience.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #58

THOR #2125
29 3 2015 ACe Black tank

I add enough water to cover the tank floor which may in fact be less that the 5-10 gallon amount I stated.
Next time I fill the black tank I will use my water meter and get an exact amount.
CHEERS
Old 08-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #59

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Texas
THOR #8633
The OP was mainly concerned with the poop and/or TP not being flushed into the tank. Basically when you flush it goes down to a joint in the drain pipe and stops right there a few inches below the bottom of the toilet. I don't have a 30.2 but we did just buy a 2018 Four Winds 31E which is a Class C with basically the same floor plan and we are having the same problem.

I believe this is a definite design flaw. The toilets that are used in our RV's are gravity flush toilets. This type of toilet should be installed where it flushes directly down into the black water tank. The Dometic website actually states the following: "The gravity-flush toilet must be installed directly over the waste holding tank." Since the black water tank on our RV's is located on the opposite side from the toilet, Thor should have used a macerating-flush toilet. Per Dometic website "this flushing technology (macerating-flush) allows the toilet and waste holding tank to be positioned apart from each other." With that being said, Thor uses a Thetford toilet. So I contacted Thetford to see if they have the same direct requirements for their toilets and their response was "The recommendation is that the toilet be installed directly over the waste tank, however, some coach manufacturers do alternate types of installations." No wonder it's a Thetford and not a Dometic.

We have owned our motorhome for less than 2 months, and I wish we would have never bought it (we have a number of issued with it). This is a very bad design. Not sure if Thor has engineers involved when they finalize designs or if they just use a rule of thumb or what, but it is crazy that this problem has existed for so long.

I would guess that the raised toilet in the 30.2 is done to have a little more slope in the pipe between the toilet and tank to help solids flow down into the tank, more slope would be needed in an RV vs residential due to lower amount of water being used and potential to not be completely 100% level. Our 31E does not have a raised toilet. We have requested that Thor replace the toilet with a toilet that is appropriate for this application (macerator-flush), but we will see what they do, if anything.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #60

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
I think you're saying fill the black water tank about half way and then the problem is somewhat solved? Please clarify for me...maybe I'm just dull. I have a 2017 Ace 27.2 and have this problem. Didn't for a time or two but now do. I've tried manually setting up the jacks to put it a little UP in the front to try to get some gravity help. Sorta works....tells us again about the tank half full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyPause View Post
I wanted to adjust my hot water post from earlier. After 4 more outings of headaches we made 2 very simple adjustments. First fill the tank about 50% of water by holding the foot pedal half way down, before flushing. This gives enough force to push all down past curve leading to the black tank. Another change was toilet paper. We switched from the one the rv dealer recommended to a Scott one ply that actually did a better job, but disintegrates with no problem. Issue solved for us!

The hot water did help with disintegration but found out that the sink dumps in the black tank as well, so we'll usually let it run to hot for a little bit at the end of the day in colder weather. Sucks when dry camping as this fills up the black tank quicker. But the labor and headache of the snake makes it worth the trouble for us.