Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #21
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
How about dumping some sort of liquid soap down the drain first? It should act as a lubricant...
Bob...I think I saw, some time ago...someone suggesting liquid soap, like Dawn, or a bit of vegetable oil, in the empty tank...helps stuff slide out.
In addition...I may be wrong...but, it sounds like your tank additive is not doing its job...could too much water be diluting it to the point where it is not breaking down the paper n stuff ? Just thinking !

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #22

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
well, regardless, I will ADD to those who stated it this way: MORE WATER

no matter what type of toilet or waste system you encounter, not enough water is always going to be a problem... it just doesn't work dry. Now, you may say that you always give it enough water, but if you're not filling the bowl before you flush after you 'you-know-what', then you are going to many times find that there is just not enough 'push' of water to get everything you want out of the way of the bottom of the toilet outlet. There is not a lot of play from the bottom of the toilet outlet to the bottom of the black tank, but just enough if you use enough water pressure.

Also, the more paper you use, the more you need as well.... a flushing a full bowl more than once doesn't hurt either. Are there times when all of us have had to 'fish' a stick down the outlet? Sure, it happens to the best of us.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:36 AM   #23

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Unfortunately that is not his issue although I have read of this many times and it is not uncommon. His issue as is with many of us that have toilets on the passenger side is the drop zone is in the most shallow end of the tank which has just a slight angle. On every other coach I have owned the drop zone is usually right over the deep end of the tank, therefore it made sense to add initial water to the tank as some have mentioned here. In this particular case the problem is the angle is so shallow the poo cant slide but the liquids do thus leaving every thing else behind. It is a poor design and doesnt look like any future plans of correcting.
Okay well that really sucks that it’s a design flaw. Too bad it’s not an easier fix.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:39 AM   #24

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Okay well that really sucks that it’s a design flaw. Too bad it’s not an easier fix.
Its workable, I sent him the fix I use which is basically an installed spray wand in the tank with a solenoid valve. Has worked well for me for the last year.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:44 AM   #25

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Its workable, I sent him the fix I use which is basically an installed spray wand in the tank with a solenoid valve. Has worked well for me for the last year.
That’s what’s great about this forum. We have all had an issue and if you ask there is always a fix
Old 08-26-2018, 01:46 AM   #26

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Totally agree with the more water part. And I learned (at least with our coach) that if I have about 20 gals of water in the gray tank, I start the black tank draining then open the gray valve. The gray tank dump acts as a siphon for the black line - works well for us.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:02 AM   #27

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Quote:
Unfortunately that is not his issue although I have read of this many times and it is not uncommon. His issue as is with many of us that have toilets on the passenger side is the drop zone is in the most shallow end of the tank which has just a slight angle. On every other coach I have owned the drop zone is usually right over the deep end of the tank, therefore it made sense to add initial water to the tank as some have mentioned here. In this particular case the problem is the angle is so shallow the poo cant slide but the liquids do thus leaving every thing else behind. It is a poor design and doesnt look like any future plans of correcting.
I have the same issue in my unit. The TP seems to hit the low end of the tank and likes to stay there. Could you send me the link as well?

At our last stop, I used 4-5 pans of hot (heated, not boiling) water to help get everything cleared out. That works, but it's time consuming.

I talked to a full timer that gave me a tip. When he's heading on the road, he empties out & then puts some water & Pine Sol in to slush around and help clean the tank as he's driving to his next stop. Sounded good to me.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #28

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
I have the same issue in my unit. The TP seems to hit the low end of the tank and likes to stay there. Could you send me the link as well?

At our last stop, I used 4-5 pans of hot (heated, not boiling) water to help get everything cleared out. That works, but it's time consuming.

I talked to a full timer that gave me a tip. When he's heading on the road, he empties out & then puts some water & Pine Sol in to slush around and help clean the tank as he's driving to his next stop. Sounded good to me.
Sent you a message.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncii View Post
Have had a couple of lucky knee kick saves over the years on the glasses.[emoji16]I use a couple cap fulls of calgon suggested by someone else for slippery.

You must be related to THIS guy!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #30

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
We've found taking a crap in one of these is an art more than a science. First, flush any solids down as you do it....then when you come to wiping (no other way to put it) be sure there is some water in the bowl and drop your paper in there and be sure the paper is covered or more than covered....let it soak for about 10 minutes and then flush. It has solved our problem. Sometimes, the bowl will drain in the meantime...no matter....if the paper was soaked, it begins to break down. DOn't use anything other than one or two ply paper though. We used to have to plunge the thing to get it to work but no longer. Surprising how many people will not put paper down the toilet....they put it in a bag and send it to the garbage. Won't do that...try the soak method....works wonders for us.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Texas
THOR #11646
Please share

Quote:
Tom, I have a fix that worked for our coach but I have to see if I posted on this site, I know I have it posted on IRV2. Its fairly simple project but a few steps involved. In short I built a flush wand that is position right in front of the drop zone in the tank, I have it connected to a water source and solenoid and a switch mounted by the toilet, soon as I see the teepee starting I simply push the button and blast it away. Been using it since last year and have never had another issue. If you are handy and are interested I will find the post for you.

Originally I was going to drop the tank and reverse it and use a macerator but even that wouldnt work due to the location of the toilet.
Would you mind sharing with me? I have the same problem and have been using my toilet cleaning brush by sticking it all the way down the pipe. Ughhh, it's so disgusting and I'm the only one willing to do it. TIA💩
Old 09-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #32

State: California
THOR #12313
Thank you. Workable solution.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #33

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #8483
Thor293 - - ditto on sending link and mod details. Crappy factory design.

Have the factory installed flushing wand on my 2017/18 Ace, but is really setup for use when dumping. Does a good job in that case though (along with the water softener and Dawn). Also add OxiClean (Dollar Store variant) mixed in a gallon of hot water to the mix.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:53 PM   #34

Model: 29.4
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8430
Same problem 2018 Thor

We keep a bottle of Dawn dish detergent in bathroom to help ease it down . Definitely agree another poor Thor design flaw!
Ps I disagree the Ohio Camping World is the worst, that title goes to Camping World of Berkeley Massachusetts!
Old 09-02-2018, 04:09 AM   #35

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: British Columbia
THOR #10751
Quote:
Tom, I have a fix that worked for our coach but I have to see if I posted on this site, I know I have it posted on IRV2. Its fairly simple project but a few steps involved. In short I built a flush wand that is position right in front of the drop zone in the tank, I have it connected to a water source and solenoid and a switch mounted by the toilet, soon as I see the teepee starting I simply push the button and blast it away. Been using it since last year and have never had another issue. If you are handy and are interested I will find the post for you.

Originally I was going to drop the tank and reverse it and use a macerator but even that wouldnt work due to the location of the toilet.
Mind shooting me thatfix too, I have the exact same problem!!
Old 09-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #36

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #2904
Toilet Problems

I can't believe none of you told the guy what his problem is. You never, ever leave the drain valve open. You use the system and let the tank fill, if you are out for a weekend you empty when you leave or on an extended stay with full hook ups,you empty when your tank is full and everything will be evacuated, then simply flush the tank with your onboard flush or a wand through the toilet. Leaving the drain open will clog the holding tank right below the toilet, just like a outhouse and you will have to get into the tank and clean out all that good stuff.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Regarding the whole "more water" suggestion: Is it okay to filter it through my kidneys first?
Old 09-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #38

State: California
THOR #10570
Henn001

We also have the Thor 29M and have the same issue with the toilet. Bad design. We use a metal pole about 3 ft long to put down the toilet and push the remains to the side. It seems to work. We also flush a lot of water down after.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!

One Question: Where do you store that metal pole?
If it got mistaken for a marshmallow stick...
Old 09-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #40

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #2904
Toilet issues

I don't believe you folks, how long have you had RV's/TT's, a week. As I said earlier, leave the drain valve closed until the tank is about full, then drain the tank (make sure you have the hose on). Then you will not have an issue. Never, never, never, never use the toilet with the drain open, all you are doing is making a pile under the toilet that will eventually dry up and you will need that push rod and a lot of rubber gloves to clean up the mess, only you won't be pushing, you will be pulling.. Simple, don't open the valve until the tank is full or you are through with your little weekend trip and are leaving the park. If you had a 45 degree slope on your tank it still wouldn't run out without about 20 gallons of water to keep it floating. Read the instructions!!!!!!!!