Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2016, 01:21 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Top Tier Gasoline

AAA: Not All Gasoline Created Equal | AAA NewsRoom

Interesting article on AAA analysis of detergent additives in gasoline and the potential engine damage that can result from using gasoline that has lesser amounts of additives. There is also a link to TopTier.com which lists the companies that meet the highest requirements for gasoline additives. Interesting, Pilot/Flying J is not among the companies which meets the requirements and I found an article where they admit that the do not. Wish I had know this before I just put 5-600 gallons of gasoline thru my Axis - much of it Pilot.

I have found articles back to 2012 on this issue, so it is not new, but AAA has brought it to my attention.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:39 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I worked in the industry (pipeline maintenance) for 30+ years & unless you buy fuel from some no name unbranded mom & pop station the fuel has been tested/ certified as far as octane & other contents except for each different major retailers specific additive. Regardless of the name brand you choose the fuel at any number of different stations are getting their fuel from same 1-2 refineries in the area or pipelines from wherever, just because your favorite is say Chevron your favorite stop may be getting their fuel from Valero, Phillips, Exxon or whomever is in the area.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #3

THOR #1765
I believed that for 50 years and bought my gasoline from the cheapest station. However, after looking at the AAA study and TopTier I've changed my mind. There are differences in the additives that different companies put in their gasoline (Pilot gasoline confirmed it by admitting that they do not put in as much), AAA tests confirm engine carbon buildup using gasoline a with fewer additives and TopTier routinely tests gasoline to ensure that their TopTier gasolines have the additional additives. The USG mandates the additives and amounts but the guidelines are from the 1980s and the new engines are significantly different and apparently need additional additives. I've bought from the cheapest gas stations my whole life, but I will not be doing it any more. Until someone comes out a refutes the AAA study and TopTier, I don't see the sense in risking engine problems for a few cents a gallon. AAA has debunked the gasoline company claims that using higher octane gas every once in a while is good for your engine. So I don't think they are in league with the gasoline companies on this issue... or any issue for that matter.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #4

THOR #3610
You can surely buy fuel wherever you choose, but know any large volume retailers are moving much more fuel than others so it is always fresh & has not been in their storage for months, did AAA report any claims from any major supplier for bad fuel.
There are specific criteria every refiner must meet before the fuel leaves the refinery & is sampled hourly to ensure that it meets that criteria, to be honest I don't know who coined the term "Top Tier" or exactly what it is, but just know if you are buying from a known retailer you aren't buying anything that should harm your engine.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

THOR #1765
Actually, if you read the article, these are not claims, it is a study that AAA did using four vehicles - including a Dodge Truck - using gasoline with the additives required to be on the TopTier list and gasoline with fewer additives. The only thing the study addresses is whether the gasolines that do not meet the TopTier additive requirements can hurt your engine because of increased engine deposits. The study indicates that the use of not TopTier gasolines can lead to significantly more engine deposits. We are not arguing bad fuel or octane. As you mentioned in your first reply, sometimes different gas stations get their fuel from the same refinery but they add their own additives before selling it. The AAA study looks at the role the additives play in engine deposits and concludes that it is significant.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #6

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I was thinking the other day that gasoline just seems dirtier today than it used to.... or maybe it's just me.

I have been noticing this dirty film behind the fill door around my gas cap build up more over the last bunch of years than i ever remember before. Just the other day I was noticing another car at a stoplight had the funk multiplying and growing out form behind the gas fill door...

I wonder if this might be related to the topic of this thread....
Old 09-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #2121
It's not so much that plain gasoline will necessarily harm the engine, but that additives will help keep the engine cleaner and therefore should maintain/improve long-term performance.

All engines will have normal deposits, and it seems best to me to deal with deposits as you drive rather than let them get bad enough to cause an issue and then take the car in to have the fuel system cleaned.

I primarily buy Exxon but will occasionally buy other top brands; and have never had a single issue with injectors or fuel system on any vehicle. And some of them have exceeded 200,000 miles. I think it's cheap insurance.

I have on rare occasion purchased a tank of cheap gasoline, but have gone right back to Top Tier brands figuring the additional additives will clean any deposits over time.

According to the following it was the auto industry that requested higher quality gasoline (not to be confused with higher octane).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_...rgent_Gasoline
Old 09-21-2016, 06:41 PM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
From a wise old sage that used to work on my car...
"Once a year buy 3 bottles of injector cleaner and use on the next 3 fill-ups".

Cheap Insurance.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Why bother when you can do it on the go? It doesn't get simpler than that.

And it's always worked for me.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Fuel system cleaner a good idea for folks with limited access to top tier fuel providers. In the northeast, WaWa has displaced so many corner stations we no longer have as many choices depending on where you live and the drive to/from work.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #11

THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I was thinking the other day that gasoline just seems dirtier today than it used to.... or maybe it's just me.

I have been noticing this dirty film behind the fill door around my gas cap build up more over the last bunch of years than i ever remember before. Just the other day I was noticing another car at a stoplight had the funk multiplying and growing out form behind the gas fill door...

I wonder if this might be related to the topic of this thread....
That is more than likely the farmers subsidy (ethanol) building up you're talking about. The government wants 10% ethanol in the gas, worst thing for your engine, which in turn cuts your mpg by 10%, but now the farmer has a market for his corn.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #12

THOR #3610
BTW, not trying to start a war with any farmers on here, but in my opinion that's why the "Top Tier" fuel has so many additives is to counter act the poor effects ethanol has on your engine. If you truly want the BEST fuel, find a station that has ethanol free gasoline regardless of the brand.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Been using Top Tier gas for years! If you want to see what it is go to [url=http://www.toptier.com], great information there along with a list of retailers. If a retailer carries Top Tier they HAVE to carry it in EVERY station.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:02 AM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Have always wondered exactly which brands are "Top Tier" and which ones are not. Today I found a list on Wikipedia.

Was thrilled to find Costco on the list but disappointed not to see Wawa.

76 (USA)
ARCO (USA, Mexico)
Aloha (USA)
Amoco (USA)
BP (USA)
Beacon (USA)
Break Time C Stores (USA)
Breakaway (USA, Canada)
CITGO (USA)
Cenex (USA)
Chevron (USA, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, El Salvador, Colombia)
Co-op (Canada)
Co-op Diesel (Canada - select locations only)
Conoco (USA)
Costco Wholesale (USA, Canada, Mexico)
Costco Wholesale - Diesel (USA - select locations only, Canada - select locations only)
CountryMark (USA)
CountryMark PLUS (USA)
Diamond Shamrock (USA)
Energy (Mexico)
Esso (Canada)
Express Mart (USA - Wisconsin)
Exxon (USA)
Fast Fuel (USA)
Fast Stop - Diesel (USA - select locations only)
Fast Stop Express - Diesel (USA - select locations only)
G500 (Mexico)
HFN - Hawaii Fueling Network (USA)
Harmons Fuel Stop (USA)
Hele (USA)
Holiday (USA)
Irving Oil (USA, Canada)
Kirkland Signature Gasoline (USA, Canada, Mexico)
Kirkland Signature - Diesel (USA - select locations only, Canada - select locations only)
Kwik Star (USA)
Kwik Trip (USA)
MFA Oil (USA)
Marathon (USA)
Metro Petro (USA)
Meijer (USA)
Mobil (USA, Canada)
Ohana Fuels (USA)
Phillips 66 (USA, Puerto Rico)
QT (USA)
QuikTrip (USA)
Ranger (USA)
Ranger Fuel (USA)
Ranger Mustang (USA)
Ranger Stallion (USA)
Ranger Thoroughbred (USA)
Reeder's (USA)
Road Ranger (USA)
Rutter's (USA)
Shamrock (USA)
Shell (USA, Canada, Puerto Rico)
Simonson Station Stores (USA)
Sinclair (USA)
Sunoco (USA)
Tempo (Canada)
Texaco (USA, Canada, Panama, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Colombia)
Tobacco Outlet Plus Grocery (USA)
Valero (USA)
Value America (USA)
WOW (USA)
Win Win (USA)
Old 06-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
The primary and typically the only difference in fuels is the additives

That is a hard fact
Old 06-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
The primary and typically the only difference in fuels is the additives.
Other than octane and impurities (dirt), that is certainly true. They all get their gas from the same few suppliers. Then they add a few things and deliver it to the stations.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I burn diesel from Exxon in mine... no problems!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:29 PM   #18

THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
The primary and typically the only difference in fuels is the additives

That is a hard fact
You are absolutely correct!
And good many add no additives, which are typically a sales tool.
The terminal I worked at loaded 100s of truckloads of fuel daily to just about every brand of station in the DFW area & as I remember there was only one brand that a specific additive was injected as the truck was loading, not mentioning the brand, all the others were the very same fuel regardless of the station it went to.
If you're getting bad or dirty fuel it's the fault of the retail outlet you're buying from not the supplier where it's highly regulated & constantly tested.
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-22-2021, 03:50 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Ethyl alcohol is a excellent solvent; so much so, it is not shipped in petroleum pipe lines as it would clean the crud out of the pipelines and contaminate the petroleum products. Ethel alcohol is shipped by rail or truck to the blending site where is is blended as required as required by law. The blending site must have a federal license in order to bend gas with ethyl alcohol.

Pipe line runs from specific refinery are generally all the same in the tens of thousands of gallons where only the grades are separated (heating oils, diesel fuel, kerosene, gasoline, jet fuel, etc). So your blending site starts with the same the gasoline for all the stations it serves. The blending site get tanker truck or rail car loads of various additives weekly. The QT station next door to the Village has four grades of gasoline (87, 89, 93 blended with up to 10% ethyl alcohol, plus a 87 octane unblended gasoline). Even though San Antonio is the home of Valero The actual gasoline for the stations come by a Kinder Morgan pipe line for refineries in Corpus Christi or Texas City. So QT actually sell Valero gasoline but is is specifically blended for QT at the Bexar County blending site.

Lastly remember Top Tier is a company (headquartered in Mjidland, MI) that sells a detergent that is one of the compounds that is blended with some gasoline. It is good for gasoline yes, are there other just as good, undoubtedly, but they don't advertise.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #20

State: Alabama
THOR #22687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
BTW, not trying to start a war with any farmers on here, but in my opinion that's why the "Top Tier" fuel has so many additives is to counter act the poor effects ethanol has on your engine. If you truly want the BEST fuel, find a station that has ethanol free gasoline regardless of the brand.
Pure-gas.org