Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2019, 01:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
Challenger 36TL Slide leak and wet walls

I can’t figure this out... I have a slide leak when parked on a slant with the slides in. Front drivers tire is furthest uphill. Rear passenger tire down hill. I have a good idea of where the slide is leaking in the bedroom. What I can’t figure out is... on our floor plan the bed is on the rear of the bus and slides out the drivers side. The bed is on the normal bed frame with curved laminate veneer. The veneer has water droplets that look like condensation up to 8” off the floor and the rear wall of the bus had the same droplets to 8” off the floor for about 2ft along the wall. There was a small puddle at the rear wall on the floor about 2 hours after a huge rain. This to me seems like it would be an overhead leak and the drops are splattering up onto the walls. My issue with this is, the top of the slide was dry, the rear window was dry. AND to top it all off the “night stand” wall that separates the rear bus wall from the bed support veneered wall was dry on both sides. How in the world does moisture get on two walls but not on the wall between the two? I’m guess I’m going to have to set up shop I guess with a thermal camera next big storm.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
If you do a search on this forum under "slide leaks" you will find a lot of discussion on this topic. I responded to one a year ago with the following comments:

"If you only get the leak with the slide in my guess is the face trim on the low part of the slide needs caulking.

I had the same issue on my Miramar and after spending days with a garden hose finally discovered the entire length of the slide had no caulking on the top of that lower trim. Most of the time the water that would leak in would evaporate on the floor before I saw it. I actually discovered the leak by sleeping in the RV in a truck stop during a thunderstorm, with the slides in. I got up when a garbage can blew past the RV and walking through to the front I stepped into a small puddle of water.

I spent the next several days discovering and solving the problem."

The trim was found lacking in caulk in many places. The water would leak behind the trim and seep under the material on the bottom of the slide and drip from screws that penetrate the material...easy fix.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
If you do a search on this forum under "slide leaks" you will find a lot of discussion on this topic. I responded to one a year ago with the following comments:

"If you only get the leak with the slide in my guess is the face trim on the low part of the slide needs caulking.

I had the same issue on my Miramar and after spending days with a garden hose finally discovered the entire length of the slide had no caulking on the top of that lower trim. Most of the time the water that would leak in would evaporate on the floor before I saw it. I actually discovered the leak by sleeping in the RV in a truck stop during a thunderstorm, with the slides in. I got up when a garbage can blew past the RV and walking through to the front I stepped into a small puddle of water.

I spent the next several days discovering and solving the problem."

The trim was found lacking in caulk in many places. The water would leak behind the trim and seep under the material on the bottom of the slide and drip from screws that penetrate the material...easy fix.

I read that thread the other day and plan on going to go out tomorrow when it’s raining here. I am still dumbfounded about the water droplets on the wall though.