Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
No additives needed. Sounds like your torque converter is going out.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:25 PM   #22
z28

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #9536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal View Post
I have a high mileage mini-van whose transmission started to shutter. At the advice of a mechanic I added a transmission additive. It seems to have helped. On the bottle it says that the product is a must for towing vehicles and motor homes. So the questions is. Do you use additives in your motor home? Do you use in your flat tow behind? Just curious.

So I can see by the bottle it is a Lucas product. After spending 46 years in the automotive repair business I can say that all additives contain 100% SNAKE OIL. You should never deviate from the recommended fluids the manufacturer states in there operating manual. If the consumer would adhere to the maintenance manuals, there would be no need for these additives. It’s human nature to always look for an easy way out.. there are some manufacturers that will not honor there warranty if it has been found that a non recommended fluid was added to there product. DON’T DO IT.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #23
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Most transmission additives have a chemical that swell the orings and gaskets. That buys some time, but the grim reaper will call again. You will need a transmission rebuild to fix it correctly.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #24

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Having mostly JD heavy duty equipment and all with hydraulic systems that got extreme work out I know a bit about hydraulic fluid and transmission fluid

We only used JD fluid due to the additives it contains which the generic didn't

Large hydraulic systems are very expensive to repair and will last thousands of hours when taken good care of

Many transmissions are over heated scorching the fluid

Failure to change fluid and filters as needed leads to equipment replacement