Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Jensen JRV212T intermittent problem

If the unit failed and remained not working, I might be able to isolate the problem, but since the radio has twice began working again, I don't know what to do.

The problem when it happens (twice in four months), with the engine running.
  • Display blank - clock not visible. The clock turned on and off with the store/use switch. Then it went out again for a while.
  • Radio will only turn on and function with the remote control (purchased separately).
  • Display comes on and goes off but doesn't change when station is changed with remote.
  • Display will work with touch buttons then it won't work.
  • Cameras do not show on the radio.
Left the RV on shore power for one hour and the radio and cameras began working again.

I pounded on the dash to see if I could get the radio to work or stop working and the pounded made no difference.

Any suggestions.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
SOLUTION: Replace the unit, it's a known problem with that radio. I had the same problem, not sure what the issue is with that radio. If you are still under warranty I would suggest you contact Thor and ask them to replace it with a newer model. If out of warranty try Thor and ASA, if no luck, maybe an attorney?
Old 07-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #3

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Jensen radio

This issue has been a common topic on this blog for a while. My 2014 Jensen has also crapped out. It started working again, but I am not waiting for the next failure, so I bought the new Jensen with Bluetooth, nav, 3 camera triggers, dvd player, Sirius ready, when you buy the additional Sirius antenna. The upgraded head unit has many more features than the 212T, hopefully, Jensen has corrected the defects, and as far as I have heard, the touch screen is much improved over the outdated model. This problem is so common, I think Jensen should make right with all the people who have the old head unit, and provide at least a trade-in towards the improved unit.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #4

THOR #1466
jensen radio

The model I replaced the 212T with is a Jensen JRV215NR. You will also need the Siruis tuner for $35.00, if you want Sirius reception. The head unit was $600.00, but you really do need the 3 camera system. I looked for 3 camera turn signal triggers, but Jensen was the only head unit I could find for a decent price. The rear camera can be used while in motion, which I need, as I tow a car, and rear microphone is enabled when in reverse. Same as the old unit. Plus, all the existing wiring and plug/connections are compatible, so this saves time and installation money. This was purchased at Amazon, and I will the have unit installed this week. I have done much electronics work on my vehicles all my life, but, I decided to leave this install to the experts this time. If any problems arise, they are equipped to handle them on the spot. Plus, installation is guaranteed. Reviews have indicated that the new unit is far superior than the old 212T, with more features, better reliability, better touch-pad response, and better sound. The nav system is an added bonus. The Bluetooth capability is also welcome, since cab noise makes talking on the cell phone difficult, and having the conversation go through the coach speakers will be much nicer.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #5

THOR #1466
jensen head unit

I had my Jensen 212T replaced with the new 215N. The difference in performance is remarkable. ASA electronics sells the head unit. Most of the plugs are compatible, but several are not, and must be soldered. The install took the tech about 1and half hrs. Worth it. Unit works great, touch screen is much better, and unit does require a learning curve. The Blue tooth synched to my phone well, the nav and camera systems work equally well. I must now contact Sirius and activate the service. Now, hopefully Jensen has eliminated the problem that plagued the 212T, and we can get some longevity of use. Head unit was $600.00, and install $180.00.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Do you know if the Sirius adapter from the old 212 model will work with the new 215 model? I have the 212 with the adapter and so far it's working well. But the Sirius subscription is associated with the serial number with the adapter and I have a lifetime subscription.

Would like to know in case I have to upgrade to the new Jensen.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #7

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5851
I have just experienced the same problems with my Jensen JRV212T radio, blank screen with a static type noise. Twice the radio did start to work as advertised but with in a half minute the screen went blank but the radio started to work but could not shut it off without disconnecting the plug in the back, when reinstalling the plug the radio went back to blank screen and hissing noise. Fortunately for me I purchased the extended warranty on the coach. I have an appointment to take my coach to have them look at the radio and I will see if I pay the difference if they can install the JRV215. Will post again with news of what can be done for me
Old 01-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsara View Post
I have just experienced the same problems with my Jensen JRV212T radio, blank screen with a static type noise. Twice the radio did start to work as advertised but with in a half minute the screen went blank but the radio started to work but could not shut it off without disconnecting the plug in the back, when reinstalling the plug the radio went back to blank screen and hissing noise. Fortunately for me I purchased the extended warranty on the coach. I have an appointment to take my coach to have them look at the radio and I will see if I pay the difference if they can install the JRV215. Will post again with news of what can be done for me
Mine like to work for the dealer... Finally got them to replace - but they were able to get a new 212 last summer - no idea how... Was hoping for the 215. (BTW the 215 is now discontinued as well...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
last October our 212T started misfiring, and finally went out all together. I contacted ASA and they sent me a replacement unit, free of charge. Slipped right into the old slot and in 5 minutes we were up and running again...

update...
now the Volume on the radio is stuck on, even when I don't want the radio on, but if I have the Cameras on, then I have to 'mute' the radio
but everything else works fine, so - oh, well... : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote