Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2019, 02:43 AM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
When issues such as locks jamming etc... occur folks need to report it to the NHTSA. If enough folks report the same problem it can lead to a nationwide recall. I imagine a lock jamming on a class A could be considered a major safety issue since it does reduce the options for a safe exit in an emergency.

On another note the key in my Bauer Electronic lock jammed and could not be removed from the lock. I called Bauer on Monday and today the new lock arrived via UPS. I located the lock installation instructions on-line and Bauer's phone number was in the instructions. One call, no hold and five minutes later a new lock was being pulled from the shelves.

TriMark's technical info is on-line and their phone number is on the bottom of page 2.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:47 AM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Absolutely agree with you revjeffrey. Thor may feel no obligation for coach safety because of 1 year warranties (or less) that they consider absolution of their responsibility, but Trimark has made even more profit for those of us who paid for a replacement......and it will be interesting to see if the steel latch replacement lock mechanism also has components that fail, as noted by some folks. In my book, safety is and should always be a top priority for any product manufacturer.
Your Reply to a Life or Death Important Safety Issue and your #911 Post??

Amen.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trimark post 911.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	20875  
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Don't forget about the other companies making a profit as many of us have replaced our Trimark with a different manufacturer's product (in my case Bauer).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Too much hyperbole for my taste...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #25
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Too much hyperbole for my taste...
...from a previous Thor Owner who Dumped the brand with his many unit problems very quickly (smart guy) & received his broken parts sent Free?? From a Company that understands their customers.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
What would it really take for Thor & Trimark getting together and offering on this forum the information for the .25 cent defective plunger part replacement?
Is it really worth it to them, someone burning to death, trapped, breaking a hip or worst ...climbing out windows?
By giving the ones who know "the secret phone number" or "secret hand shake" the new part for FREE.
They already have admitted the guilt of a defective part of the lock by doing so.
Seriously makes you think what kind of Company this really is?

This is "Top Secret" classified info and considered a "Secret Handshake of the Elite", so use it wisely an tell no one where you got it. Go to the Trimark website (who would have thought of that, right?)...click on the "Contact" tab...tell them your problem...they will respond with a solution.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
...from a previous Thor Owner who Dumped the brand with his many unit problems very quickly (smart guy) & received his broken parts sent Free?? From a Company that understands their customers.
Hold the phone for a moment...
We bought a different RV only because the new one fit our changing needs better than the Outlaw...
The new Dealer (with a much better reputation); had a lot to do with the decision also...
We felt that while there were problems with the Outlaw: the biggest problems stemmed from the Dealership...
Old 10-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #7074
Thank's Gritz!
✔😊😊 If you read the thread's on the "lock" subject and there are Many. But not the same outcome for everyone. Some owners get it sent. (PM me the top secret #) Others have to pay? (you need to know the right guy..) Many owners told pack sand buy a new lock...(just calling TriMark as a concerned consumer)
I assume not all will break. What's the big deal they sold a defective item. Couple times a month Trimark sends out a few plungers with Goodwill. I should have expected all this because....I did purchase "entry level" Rig after all.
They should offer those with lock issues in print a phone # of a contact that knows the issue, some relief of the problem.
.....if this was about a stripped bolt on everyone's Blackstoned Grills... everyone would be in an uproar😂😂
Old 10-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #29

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I haven't followed the threads that close but have had my issue since new. The bolt on the actual doorknob (not the deadbolt underneath) would pop back out about 1/8 inch sometimes, preventing door from opening. It wasn't a problem with exiting. having 2 more doors and always making sure I had keys on me, I just dealt with it. I didn't know mine was Trimark until looking at the key...duhh. I went to website, found my model and emailed them. Got a great response back describing what the problem was and advising they would send out new lock for replacement. I think all the problems owners have reported probably feed this response. Either way, I agree there should be a recall and all locks repaired or replaced at manufacturer's cost. Trimark seems to be a huge, global company building locks for farm equipment, airplanes, RV's and tons more stuff. I wonder what other industries are facing the same problems besides us RVers? I also know attitude has everything to do with end results. I'm sure there are those that have called demanding a new motorhome or threatening to sue them over a bad lock assembly. We all know what that does. Some folks fall off the deep end just because they have to flush a toilet twice. Again...it's about what comes "out of you" that affects end results.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #30

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Report a safety defect to NHTSA !

REPORT THE SAFETY DEFECT TO NHTSA, whether they gave you a replacement or you had to buy it while on the road. They are looking into this issue. A recall was made "Aug 7, 2015 - manufacturer), a motor home entrance door hardware set, (TriMark product code. 060-1650), this door is used by Winnebago Industries, Inc. on ...". That recall didn't cover Thor. If we don't push the Feds into making Trimark recall these crappy locks they will continue selling them to Thor.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/about-nhtsa/contact-us
Toll-Free: 888-327-4236
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:18 AM   #31

State: Kansas
THOR #18877
I know that this is 7 mo old, but now there is a replacement stainless steel plunger kit on the market so that a complete new handle is not needed. I have bought 4 of them, and the $45 incl shipping is cheap considering that taking the handle out of the RV takes longer than installing the kit. I found the kit on Ebay when I was looking for my third handle. It's listed under Trimark 060-1650. There's no plastic to break either.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:43 PM   #32

THOR #12211
I found a guy that sells just the latch

https://www.latchfix.com/

Much rather send this guy $46 then buy a new door handle from Trimark...
Old 03-25-2021, 07:35 PM   #33

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Contact tri mark they sent me a new one free
Old 03-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #34

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChaps View Post

My lock was never broken, but why chance it. A very professional kit milled out of SS. Simple to install if you follow the video.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:01 PM   #35

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Ours has mess up few times, I should get pic of me shoving mamma thought the passenger window next time. Thanks for tips about the plug, going reach out and see if I can get ours fixed. Might just submit your post to our shop with extended warranty!

Wish RV lock would strike a deal trimark and make one that fits our rigs!
Old 03-25-2021, 09:14 PM   #36

THOR #12211
I did reach out to trimark and spoke to their service and parts department. Spoke to a nice woman that said she needed $145 for a new door handle and they don't sell or send out just the plunger. I pointed out they have new handles on Amazon for $105, and she still didn't want to help me out. Said it was up to the manufacturer to select the model with the crappy plunger or the steel one.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:10 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChaps View Post
I do like this idea!
Old 03-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #38

Model: Fourwinds 25C
THOR #18980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Does anyone know if the steel plunger can be gotten from TriMark, so that just that one piece can be replaced? Why should we have to buy a complete replacement mechanism when it's a $1 (max) part that will fix this? Do you have Kevin's direct extension?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Motorhom...kAAOSwY1FfpbCA

This is what I used.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:58 AM   #39

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Can't agree with the last two comments.

TriMark is sending replacement latches at NO COST. You just have to know to ask. We are so used to getting screwed over by companies that don't stand behind their products that we expect the worst. A full recall would likely bankrupt TriMark, which wouldn't make the situation any better. The replacement latch with steel plunger will likely outlast the coach.

No use wasting energy trying to get Thor to cover anything beyond warranty. Sad, but true.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:57 AM   #40

Model: Fourwinds 25C
THOR #18980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Can't agree with the last two comments.

TriMark is sending replacement latches at NO COST. You just have to know to ask. We are so used to getting screwed over by companies that don't stand behind their products that we expect the worst. A full recall would likely bankrupt TriMark, which wouldn't make the situation any better. The replacement latch with steel plunger will likely outlast the coach.

No use wasting energy trying to get Thor to cover anything beyond warranty. Sad, but true.
Sorry you don't agree but I have replaced 3 Trimark latches due to the plunger issue and Trimark refused to help at all! Their reply was "Do you have a receipt to show how old the unit was? Sorry, can't help" The last was several months ago, NO HELP from Trimark at all!