Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Florida
THOR #20257
tripping GFI on 110 volt power source

I plugged my ACE 29.4 into 110 volt power at my home to cool frig for trip and GFI on my home circuit keeps tripping. Nothing else was turned on. Any suggestions?

Old 09-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
There must something else on to trip the house breaker that is drawing power. Make sure the water heater is off. I have plugged my mh into a 110 home circuit to do the same thing with the refrigerator and have had no issues.

Paul
Old 09-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Did you plug into a GFI outlet as your source
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwilcox View Post
I plugged my ACE 29.4 into 110 volt power at my home to cool frig for trip and GFI on my home circuit keeps tripping. Nothing else was turned on. Any suggestions?

Does it trip immediately?
Old 09-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwilcox View Post
Many times 2 GFI's in series do not play nice. There is 2 was to stop this. 1. plug into A non-GFI circuit. 2. Turn off the GFI circuit in the RV.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
It is VERY common for RVs to trip a source GFCI when plugged into it. This is because somewhere in the RV the ground and neutral are bonded when they are not supposed to be. Unless you want to start tracing wires in the RV find a non-GFCI plug to plug into.

Otherwise you may be able to plug the fridge's 120 VAC plug into an extension cord which is plugged into the GFCI outlet, or just run the fridge on propane.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
three possibilites:

1) GFCI source you are plugged into, whether a GFCI outlet, or on a master GFCI breaker, may not play well with your RV with it's own GFCI circuits

2) Your RV has other appliances or devices 'ON' and drawing power, even if they are the 'silent' type, such as the battery charger/converter and the Electric water heater element.

3) The shore power's source/circuit also has OTHER appliances or devices drawing power at the same time you are, overloading the circuit.

separately, there is a difference between 'tripping', which is really what happens when a BREAKER trips, from overloading, and the GFCI 'tripping' due to moisture, or even, like may be in your case, two GFCI circuits not playing well together.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
A common cause of GFCIs tripping is water from rain, washing the rig, A/C condensation runoff, etc. getting into an exterior electric outlet. Check for moisture around exterior fixtures. If any is present, disconnect from shore power before doing anything else. It may be necessary to open the fixture, dry it out, and reseal the outlet cover with a good sealant - not a foam rubber gasket.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It is VERY common for RVs to trip a source GFCI when plugged into it. This is because somewhere in the RV the ground and neutral are bonded when they are not supposed to be. Unless you want to start tracing wires in the RV find a non-GFCI plug to plug into.

Otherwise you may be able to plug the fridge's 120 VAC plug into an extension cord which is plugged into the GFCI outlet, or just run the fridge on propane.

Seems like the only place the neutral and ground might get bonded is at the breaker panel. As in by a bonding screw. If so that would seem to be intentional. Is an RV service panel considered to be a “sub-panel” in the larger context of connecting to shore power?
Old 10-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #10

Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19481
Had the exact same problem. Plugged into a non GFCI and had no trouble. I have since installed a 50 amp circuit and can run everything now!!