Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Blow out the lines with air and dump some antifreeze in the drains. Doesn't take that long to do.

As for the temps, I would worry if it falls bellow freezing for any amount of time. Just think about the cost if you do bust a line.
This is what I do. In addition to draining tanks (hot water included). It’s easier to blow out lines if you bypass the hot water as well. And don’t forget to disconnect the shower hoses (they tend to have suction and freeze up that funky little attachment doohicky). You can buy a air nipple that screws into your city water fitting. Oh, and don’t let air pressure exceed 60 psi. And step on the toilet valve as well.

Old 12-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #22

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Ok that sound safer.

But 2000 watts total on an "extention cord". Are you using your 30 amp cord with an dog bone to 15 amp?

Or do you have a 12 gauge extention cord? I would NOT trust a 16 gauge with TWO heater on.... Just saying. Better safe than sorry.

I would think one heater would be enough (for 20 - 25 deg lows) esp if you have the relective bubbles in all of your windows for insulaton.
Yeh, could be trouble. I melted the plug on an oil filled heater 15 years ago. And I was plugged in, with proper cords, to a 30 amp plug.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Yeh, could be trouble. I melted the plug on an oil filled heater 15 years ago. And I was plugged in, with proper cords, to a 30 amp plug.

After noticing how hot my extension cords can get I bought 10ga ones for all my outdoor use, except Christmas lights(!). And thats all I carry in my RV. Certainly overkill for short runs and expensive but one less thing to worry about.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:35 AM   #24

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburns884 View Post
We have one more Gulf Coast trip planned this year. 3 weeks away. Poor kiddos have been cooped up all year except when we RV, so I really want to get this one in for them!

The RV (Thor Hurricane 29m) is stored a few miles from the house. No power available.

I live in Northern Arkansas and for the time I need to delay winterizing, the lowest temp should be no less than 20. Daytime highs should rise at least into the 40’s.

What is the temperature point where I should begin to worry about damage? I don’t like the idea of leaving a heater on, but I could some nights if necessary.

Any advice or experience appreciated.
May consider leaving your furnace on about 40 degrees so at least some heat can get to most of your pipes! We have a 2018 Windsport 29m, a cousin of the Hurricane. We live in the piedmont of NC. I did not want to use antifreeze to winterize this year and only 2 months till we leave for Texas the end of Jan. Thor told me unless it's below freezing for several days your probably fine. We park our coach next to our garage however so we can use the gas heat or an electric heater with no worries like you. They also said to put some skirting on the side that is open. The other side is against our garage to keep wind from freezing the black and grey tanks. Remember, you have heaters for them too, there safe, just like a low voltage heating blanket. This year I got a air valve to screw into our city water inlet and today my wife and I blew all the lines out and left the valves open. Also put a gallon of RV antifreeze in the black and grey tanks and put some in each p-trap. Keep all the cabinet doors open and like me, use some pipe insulating you get at Lowes to cover every water line you can get to. This helps in storage but also helps keep your water lines from getting cold fast in winter OR getting hot in the summer. Good Luck and happy travels; Bob & Wendy Trice
Old 12-07-2020, 01:49 AM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
After noticing how hot my extension cords can get I bought 10ga ones for all my outdoor use, except Christmas lights(!). And thats all I carry in my RV. Certainly overkill for short runs and expensive but one less thing to worry about.
I agree! I keep a 100' 10 gauge cord for all of the heavy duty chores that involve electricity.