Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2020, 02:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #20619
Replaced battery. A/C and fans not working

2011 Thor windsport 34t
When using the emergency start (House batteries) AC fans and step would work. I replaced the battery in the engine bay. Previous battery was a group 65 conventional and not deep cycle. So I replaced with same type. After replacing the A/C and fans stopped working. Radio still works. Not familiar with this RV. I am guessing some bad fuses and or relay switch. Where can I find a diagram and or please point me to the location of the fuse boxes. Much thanks in Advance !

Old 09-21-2020, 02:54 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Which A/C & fans? Dash or overhead?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:05 AM   #3

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjcruz1 View Post
2011 Thor windsport 34t
When using the emergency start (House batteries) AC fans and step would work. I replaced the battery in the engine bay. Previous battery was a group 65 conventional and not deep cycle. So I replaced with same type. After replacing the AC and fans stopped working. Radio still works. Not familiar with this RV. I am guessing some bad fuses and or relay switch. Where can I find a diagram and or please point me to the location of the fuse boxes. Much thanks in Advance !
Can you confirm if you have a Battery Control Centre (BCC) under the hood, driver's side?
I am thinking the radio is fed from the coach battery and the fans are off the chassis battery, maybe the chassis battery cable (for the BCC) was not reconnected? You mention the step worked before, is it still?
Old 09-21-2020, 03:23 AM   #4

THOR #20619
Yes The dash ac and the fans over head
Old 09-21-2020, 03:25 AM   #5

THOR #20619
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Can you confirm if you have a Battery Control Centre (BCC) under the hood, driver's side?
I am thinking the radio is fed from the coach battery and the fans are off the chassis battery, maybe the chassis battery cable (for the BCC) was not reconnected? You mention the step worked before, is it still?
I believe there is a battery control center. When I replaced the battery I just disconnected the negative and positive- re install done in reverse order. I didn’t touch anything else. Yes the step worked before and it doesn’t work now.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:57 AM   #6

THOR #16471
So when you operate the Chassis Battery switch (by the entrance) do you hear the 'clunk' of the relay (from the BCC)? Do you have a multimeter and are able to check the BCC has the proper voltages?
Old 09-21-2020, 04:39 AM   #7

THOR #20619
Quote:
So when you operate the Chassis Battery switch (by the entrance) do you hear the 'clunk' of the relay (from the BCC)? Do you have a multimeter and are able to check the BCC has the proper voltages?

I don’t recall hearing “clunk” I am going to pick up a meter this week. Do you happen to have a diagram that I can view to trace which fuses and relays are mapped. The BCC is on the drivers side under the hood. I also seen there was a panel below the steering column to the left
Old 09-21-2020, 04:56 AM   #8

THOR #16471
RV Custom Products

There should be a model number (upper left corner?). Here is the link to the manufacture, RV Custom Products (They are helpful to any call), at the top is "Our Products", find yours. Also the inside cover has a fuse layout. I am unsure of the other panel you mention. May be the Ford fuse box?

But typically if the chassis relay does not pick up (clunk), you would be unable to start or have any ignition action from the key.
Good luck, I am off to bed.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #9

THOR #20619
Quote:
There should be a model number (upper left corner?). Here is the link to the manufacture, RV Custom Products (They are helpful to any call), at the top is "Our Products", find yours. Also the inside cover has a fuse layout. I am unsure of the other panel you mention. May be the Ford fuse box?

But typically if the chassis relay does not pick up (clunk), you would be unable to start or have any ignition action from the key.
Good luck, I am off to bed.
Thanks! I will report back soon as I get a chance to test fuses
Old 09-22-2020, 11:41 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
2011 Thor windsport 34t
When using the emergency start (House batteries) AC fans and step would work. I replaced the battery in the engine bay. Previous battery was a group 65 conventional and not deep cycle. So I replaced with same type. After replacing the A/C and fans stopped working. Radio still works. Not familiar with this RV. I am guessing some bad fuses and or relay switch. Where can I find a diagram and or please point me to the location of the fuse boxes. Much thanks in Advance !
My coach has a 100 amp circuit breaker (the type with a yellow flag) just behind the chassis battery on the right frame rail. It powers everything in the cab but the radio and the power ports.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:54 PM   #11

THOR #20619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
My coach has a 100 amp circuit breaker (the type with a yellow flag) just behind the chassis battery on the right frame rail. It powers everything in the cab but the radio and the power ports.
Thank you- I checked that fuse and it is not tripped.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #12

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
2011 Thor windsport 34t
Are you talking about holding down the emergency start solenoid switch or turning on the house battery bank?
Old 09-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #13

THOR #20619
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Are you talking about holding down the emergency start solenoid switch or turning on the house battery bank?
Yes the emergency start switch to the right of the steering wheel
Old 09-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #14

THOR #20619
My apologies the emergency switch to the left side of steering wheel
Old 09-23-2020, 09:07 PM   #15

THOR #9178
Did you get this figured out?
If not, perhaps a cable not reattached
Old 09-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #16

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
My ACE 30.3 has a separate fuse for the radio in the battery compartment. It is a in line fuse in a red water resistant fuse holder. My coach also has 2 100 amp breakers in there for the leveler system. I found this out because I had to call a mobil repair guy. Took him like 2 minutes to find and reset them. Has worked ever since. By the way this was covered by the insurance we got at purchase. I called and they were there in less than hour.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #17

THOR #20619
Hi All-
I had the RV plugged in over last weekend. Before I started checking fuses I wanted to verify the problem was still present. To my surprise everything is working. I don't know the correlation to having the RV plugged in. Any ideas? Thank you all for your help its much appreciated!
Old 09-29-2020, 11:35 PM   #18

THOR #16471
You never did say if the engine started after you "replaced the battery in the engine bay", so could it be that the chassis battery was dead and after having the RV plugged in for the weekend, it is now fully charged?

Good that you got 'er going!
Old 12-03-2020, 11:17 PM   #19

THOR #20619
I'm sorry life just took off! Yes the engine started right up. the indicator light for the chassis is green and the coach light is yellow. Thinking it maybe time to replace the house batteries. Any recommendations? I have duracell 6v now. also noticed that the 120 outlets do not work unless the generator is running. We just started to boondock in the RV!
Old 12-04-2020, 03:32 AM   #20

THOR #9178
Trojan T105 AGM work well for me

What Thor, do you have an inverter or converter?

Makes a difference on the outlets