Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2020, 04:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #20830
Trying to go another 3 weeks without winterizing ...

We have one more Gulf Coast trip planned this year. 3 weeks away. Poor kiddos have been cooped up all year except when we RV, so I really want to get this one in for them!

The RV (Thor Hurricane 29m) is stored a few miles from the house. No power available.

I live in Northern Arkansas and for the time I need to delay winterizing, the lowest temp should be no less than 20. Daytime highs should rise at least into the 40’s.

What is the temperature point where I should begin to worry about damage? I don’t like the idea of leaving a heater on, but I could some nights if necessary.

Any advice or experience appreciated.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:31 AM   #2

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Blow out the lines with air and dump some antifreeze in the drains. Doesn't take that long to do.

As for the temps, I would worry if it falls bellow freezing for any amount of time. Just think about the cost if you do bust a line.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #3

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
I agree with Joe-don't invite trouble. 3 weeks is pushing it, even in Arkansas....
Gary
GVP
Old 11-30-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck...
But it's not up to you.
Mother Nature is actually running the show.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I agree 20 is too cold. At a minimum blow out the lines.

Another thing you can do without leaving a heater on is leave a 100 watt light on (a real one not an LED thing) in any compartment with plumbing that you want to keep warm. The light will produce enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I agree 20 is too cold. At a minimum blow out the lines.

Another thing you can do without leaving a heater on is leave a 100 watt light on (a real one not an LED thing) in any compartment with plumbing that you want to keep warm. The light will produce enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing.
He says it's in storage with no power available.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
He says it's in storage with no power available.
LOL ah yeah missed that...bummer
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
I also live in Arkansas (howdy neighbor).

IMO to risky NOT to winterize it by now. For the most part the temps are mild in AR....but then this morning I woke up and it was 24 deg (My weather ap forcasted low of 31).

I winterized mine 3 weeks ago plus I have indoor storage.

I always figure "28 deg" for a few hours and your fine. But anything below that I would be concerned.

At 20 it WILL freeze (if outside).

Only takes me about 15 / 20 minutes to pump 2 gal of antifreeze and I sleep easy on the cold nights.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Just use the pink stuff. Winterize in 15 minutes for under $10. I sometimes do it 3 or 4 times a winter. Really, no big deal.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:54 PM   #10

THOR #20830
Storage place is going to allowed me to move to a spot where I can get access to 110 power. Going to run heaters in the unit. I’m going to go ahead and load up the lines and the drains with antifreeze this weekend too. I’ll just flush it all out on the way to gulf shores or upon arrival.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:07 AM   #11

THOR #12231
That sound good.... but my storage facilty says "no heaters". They only want you to use power for charging your batteries. And some lights when you visiting the unit.

Might be some fire hazzard thing. I would real upset if my neighbor burns down the entire building using a heater.

Plus my storage place "says" the power is only "on" for "part" of the day. Who know - they are tring to discourge us. I plugged my fridge up a few times and its always fine the next day.

If its insulated you should be good until you get into the Teens (or lower?).

I know two years ago when we had 10 deg lows two nights in a row and highs of like 20 the inside of my RV shows the "lowest temp 29" (I wanted to check so I know how cold it gets).

But one night in the teens or low 20's and highs in the 30/40 I bet my shed would be 35 deg+
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-01-2020, 02:54 AM   #12

THOR #20830
I’m not inside. Outdoor storage until something comes open. There isn’t near enough indoor storage here. First on the waiting list, so crossing my fingers for one to open soon.

The owner of the storage place let me park at a spot in the back where I could run an outdoor extension cords to the RV from a 110 outlet.

I have two 1000 watt electric heaters going now. Both very secure, sitting in very safe spots, and with tip over safety features. Keeping it about 68 inside the coach. I’ll run by in the morning and unplug it all. Will be interesting to see what the interior temp is.

I’m still going to go ahead and do a winterization of the fresh water lines this weekend and drain the tank. Not in love with the electric heater idea, but beats a busted pipe.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #13

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
If temps are above 25 I think you are fine with the space heaters - enough heat will radiate down to the water pump and lines. If it is colder I recommend you either winterize with antifreeze (RV type) or blow out with air. I bought an adapter for blowing out and it takes me 15 minutes. Easy.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburns884 View Post
I’m not inside. Outdoor storage until something comes open. There isn’t near enough indoor storage here. First on the waiting list, so crossing my fingers for one to open soon.

The owner of the storage place let me park at a spot in the back where I could run an outdoor extension cords to the RV from a 110 outlet.

I have two 1000 watt electric heaters going now. Both very secure, sitting in very safe spots, and with tip over safety features. Keeping it about 68 inside the coach. I’ll run by in the morning and unplug it all. Will be interesting to see what the interior temp is.

I’m still going to go ahead and do a winterization of the fresh water lines this weekend and drain the tank. Not in love with the electric heater idea, but beats a busted pipe.
Congratulations on finding a solution!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:57 PM   #15

THOR #12231
Ok that sound safer.

But 2000 watts total on an "extention cord". Are you using your 30 amp cord with an dog bone to 15 amp?

Or do you have a 12 gauge extention cord? I would NOT trust a 16 gauge with TWO heater on.... Just saying. Better safe than sorry.

I would think one heater would be enough (for 20 - 25 deg lows) esp if you have the relective bubbles in all of your windows for insulaton.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:35 PM   #16

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
I typ. winterize the lines and try to keep the rv cold so that the wonderful mice stay out ...the one year I keep it heated I had them....
Old 12-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #17

THOR #20830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Ok that sound safer.

But 2000 watts total on an "extention cord".
Cords! Two heavy duty extension cords. One for each heater. As I set all of that up I was concerned about putting two heaters on one cord so as with any RV project, I went and spent a little more money! Might have been OK, but the last thing I needed was to throw a breaker at 1am as the temp went down to 24.

Update: As of 7am when I went to check on it, both heaters were working fine. Temp inside was over 60 degrees. All fresh water lines were fine and system pressurized just fine when the faucets were closed and water pump was on.

One more night of this and I should be off work early enough there is still daylight outside, and I am going to just do a partial winterization ... this is more trouble that just flusing out the anti-freeze on the Gulf Shores trip.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to read that it's working as planned!
Have a safe trip.
!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #19132
I have been told you don’t have to worry about lines freezing if it goes below 32° for up to 6 hours. But any more than that you are risking it. I blow out my lines so not to risk it.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #20

Model: freedom elite 24he
State: Alabama
THOR #21327
It rarely freezes where I live but I rent my rv out and sometimes it goes to more northern areas. If you're using the RV is is safe to do so in freezing Temps or is everyone parking their rvs through the winter?

Are the underside water and drain lines exposed enough to the elements to freeze? Is normal use of the heater enough to keep the lines safe?

I have a rental on Christmas to NC and don't want any issues to arise.

Thanks.