Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
THOR #10278
Tuscany XTE Step Cover issue

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums. I searched for another thread on this issue, but I did not find one.

My 2015 Tuscany XTE step cover won't extend. The motor runs and one side advances while the other side does not, which results in the step hitting the side of the well.

I started looking at taking the steps apart to get into the motor to see what is going on, but I can't figure out how to get in to work on it.

Does anyone know if access is from above or below to get into the step cover motor area?

Thanks.
- Ben

Old 12-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by awkmon View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums. I searched for another thread on this issue, but I did not find one.

My 2015 Tuscany XTE step cover won't extend. The motor runs and one side advances while the other side does not, which results in the step hitting the side of the well.

I started looking at taking the steps apart to get into the motor to see what is going on, but I can't figure out how to get in to work on it.

Does anyone know if access is from above or below to get into the step cover motor area?

Thanks.
- Ben
Ben,

I had a similar issue with mine. The motor and associated equipment is accessed from under the step cover. From outside the coach you will have to reach in and hit the button to try to extend the step cover. You will have to "Help" it come up by hand. Most likely one or more of the bolts for the lever system has come out (happened to me). Good luck!
Old 01-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #3

THOR #10278
Tuscany XTE Step Cover issue - Fixed

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I was unable to get the step to extend, since I was unaware of the underlying architecture. I knocked out an access plate (shown in pictures). Then, I was able to get tools and flashlight under the stuck step to see what to do. The step uses two scissor jacks to raise it and the left one was not engaging. I removed two crush nuts and a bolt, which freed the step from the stuck jack. Then, I was able to guide it up using the good side's power.

The problem was a cable had sheared off on one side. I called Atwood, since they were the manufacturer of the motor, but they had sold all of their RV line to Lippert. Called Lippert, and they could not sell me parts, since they had discontinued all the Atwood step products. I went to google, and found this site for power sofa recliner parts - CPC PARTS: Conversion Parts Center; Conversion Parts for Glaval, Mark III, Coachmen and more..... Conversion Parts Center. PARTS LOCATORS. LET US DO THE LEG WORK FOR YOU.. This part was a dead ringer for it -> W-424237 at $27.50 each. I reached out to them, but received no response. I called Total Value RV and was quoted a price of $110 each. Once I finally got in contact with CPC Parts, I ordered 2 of them and installed them. Dry lubed up and complete.

I took pictures of the broken underside for examples for anyone else who has the same motor and jacks under the step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171227_131845.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	8778   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171227_131858.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	8779  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171227_131840.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	8780  
Old 05-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 40LX
State: Iowa
THOR #1804
Ben:

I have a 2012 Thor Tuscany 40LX that had the identical step cover issue that you described. For more than two years, NOBODY could tell me how to access the drive mechanism behind the retracted step. I was finally able to muscle my way in through the partially-raised right side of the step (my step did not have a knock-out access panel as yours did) and loosen some hardware so I could manually raise the step cover. Like you, I found a sheared drive cable on the left side. Thank you VERY much for providing the CPC website and especially for the part number for the drive cable!

Roger
Old 05-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #5

THOR #10278
Hi Roger,

It is so frustrating that there is so little information on that motor and its cables. Everyone in the manufacturing process seems to disavow any knowledge of it. I'm so glad the post helped you.

Tip of the hat on being able to get your hands in there without the knockout plate. I probably would have drilled my own with a metal hole saw out of frustration after the first few pinches!

Safe Travels!

Ben
Old 07-21-2021, 10:03 PM   #6

State: Kansas
THOR #24261
Quote:
Originally Posted by awkmon View Post
Thanks for the reply, Steve. I was unable to get the step to extend, since I was unaware of the underlying architecture. I knocked out an access plate (shown in pictures). Then, I was able to get tools and flashlight under the stuck step to see what to do. The step uses two scissor jacks to raise it and the left one was not engaging. I removed two crush nuts and a bolt, which freed the step from the stuck jack. Then, I was able to guide it up using the good side's power.

The problem was a cable had sheared off on one side. I called Atwood, since they were the manufacturer of the motor, but they had sold all of their RV line to Lippert. Called Lippert, and they could not sell me parts, since they had discontinued all the Atwood step products. I went to google, and found this site for power sofa recliner parts - CPC PARTS: Conversion Parts Center; Conversion Parts for Glaval, Mark III, Coachmen and more..... Conversion Parts Center. PARTS LOCATORS. LET US DO THE LEG WORK FOR YOU.. This part was a dead ringer for it -> W-424237 at $27.50 each. I reached out to them, but received no response. I called Total Value RV and was quoted a price of $110 each. Once I finally got in contact with CPC Parts, I ordered 2 of them and installed them. Dry lubed up and complete.

I took pictures of the broken underside for examples for anyone else who has the same motor and jacks under the step.
Awkmon, I am looking for the same cables for our stepwell cover but I am have no luck finding CPC Parts: conversion parts center. Any suggestions.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:15 PM   #7

State: Kansas
THOR #24261
Step cover parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Step View Post
Awkmon, I am looking for the same cables for our stepwell cover but I am have no luck finding CPC Parts: conversion parts center. Any suggestions.
I am also looking for the cables and maybe the motor. I did talk to CPC and they do not have that part available any longer

Tags
step cover