Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2022, 01:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Solar array to maintain batteries

I am new to solar in the RV world. I want to use a small solar array to maintain my battery charge and power a small dehumidifier on a timer that draws 50W for 8 hours per day during RV storage. Questions: 1) Is 100W enough for this purpose? 2)How difficult is it to set up a system used only for battery maintenance and dehumidifier when the RV is not in use? 3)My battery array is 4x6V flooded deep cycle batteries. I will replace these with lithium next time but for now it's what I have. Do I connect the controller output cable to the first positive post in the array and then the chassis ground or do I use the BIRD relay post? 4) Do I need to install a disconnect switch for the solar
controller? Thanks.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:49 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
There are countless internet guides for solar installation, including how to calculate amp usage over time, etc.

It's one thing to rely on solar as a supplement to keep batteries topped off, but to rely on solar as an exclusive power source is not reasonable, especially living in an area that's frequently cloudy in winter. Mine is only supplemental... insurance that I will never have drained batteries when not using the RV.

I have 200 watts on my RV roof. But I only have one panel (100 watts) exposed in winter storage (not under the RV cover) which keeps my 2 6volt batteries fully charged... even during VERY cloudy Ohio winters. There's no way I would depend on even BOTH of those panels to power any significant amperage drain.

However, it CAN be done... 50 watts isn't much. It depends on your particular sun availability, how much you're willing to invest in solar panels for insurance of power, even on cloudy days. You have to use a calculator, do the math... then add some for extra insurance.