Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Alabama
THOR #17986
TV Power

I just purchased a new a 2018 Thor ACE 30.3 and I can't get any of the TV's to power up.
I have checked that they are plugged and I have power coming into the coach.
BTW I am a Newbie to Class A but not to RV's
I'm coming from a 5th Wheel to this Class A.
Thanks in advance
Keith

Old 02-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
How have you determined that you actually DO have shore power coming into the coach?

does the microwave work?

since Lights and fans run off 12v power, your batteries, using them as an indicator of shore power cannot be done - shore power will only power certain items, appliances, or outlets - which is how you can then determine if you are actually getting the shore power.

How many TVs do you have, and where are they located? Since most every TV is plugged into a 120v outlet, it's doubtful that 'only' the TVs would not work if everything else that requires 120v power is.

I wonder, also, if you're related to JOHN Goins, in Georgia, or at least he went to school there many years ago!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
CHECK YOUR INVERTER. It powers the TV plugs and others.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I always grab a fan or light to test for power at the plug in.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #5

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
CHECK YOUR INVERTER. It powers the TV plugs and others.
Strangely enough, our ws31 is not wired to the inverter for the main tv.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If the op hasn't grabbed a fan or light to test the plugs, it could just as well be a dead remote control.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

State: Alabama
THOR #17986
Thanks for the input everyone.
It looks like i should grab a light and test the outlets
Old 02-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #8

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2632
Jaidyn

We hav a Thor ace 2016 hav had nothing but problems with the wiring from day 1 now the backup camera only works sporadically and the radio does not work at all never could get TVs to work. Camper world told us it would be major to find the problem. We had wiring repaired under the coach because it was hanging.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #9

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaidyn View Post
We hav a Thor ace 2016 hav had nothing but problems with the wiring from day 1 now the backup camera only works sporadically and the radio does not work at all never could get TVs to work. Camper world told us it would be major to find the problem. We had wiring repaired under the coach because it was hanging.
sounds like loose connections. TV are probably powered by the inverter. Check the rests on the inverter. You has 2 different problems going on there 1 12 volt and 1 120 volt.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:34 AM   #10

THOR #18015
Quote:
Were you ever able to get the back up camera working? Bought ours used from Camper world. Big mistake there, but that's another thread. All cameras worked for about a day. Then passenger side went, next was back up. Now the back up suddenly works again in reverse, but not when you cycle through the views on the head unit. Which did work previously. I prefer to have the rear view on when traveling so I can check the tow.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:49 AM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Usually all that needs done is to find a local stereo install place, spend 100 bucks and get your stuff working.

Think about how camping world relates to electrical problems.
They don't.
You're not bound to rv places just because you have an rv.

I've been on this site for 18months and I've yet to read (I might have missed it) where any regardable percentage of folks go to a stereo installer or an automotive electrical shop for repairs.

It's
Just
Logical

Someone please tell me why you don't just go get the problem fixed.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #12

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Gfi

You may want to make sure a GFI is not tripped somewhere. Also I concur they should run if you turned inverter on. A lot of times units are not equipped with automatic transfer switch to inverter.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
On most class A Thor coaches, the inverter must be on because it powers the tv
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:45 PM   #14

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10652
Not the inverter

None of the TVs in my Thor ACE are powered by the inverter. Check in your cabinet where the HDMI cable to the TV is located . There is usually a small switch there that if bumped, will isolate the TV.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #15

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Not sure if you are new to the RV world or just to this RV. Although a fan or light will work to test the plugs, a voltmeter costs around $!5 and is a useful tool for an RV. First step is to test the plug for 110 power. If the plug has power then the problem is the TV, the remote, or the cord going to the TV. Some of the cords plug in to the TV back and may be loose. If the plug is dead check for a tripped GFCI on nearby plugs, maybe over the sink or in the bathroom. Also check your circuit breaker box for a tripped breaker. If all RV plugs are dead then the issue is your inverter - it has its own breaker that may be tripped.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:36 AM   #16
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:

You can purchase from CW, but never ever have them fix anything. There are a very few CW(s) that do have great techs, but very few. Your not under warranty, so go to a good independent RV repair facility. They do not want your rig taking up space so they generally get you in and out ASAP. They rely on their good reputation to stay in business.

Tracking down electrical isn't that hard. Most problems are in twist end connectors that are in junction boxes under slides and junctions made in electrical sockets that are insulation displacement type. The wire generally has not been pushed fully in and has popped out of the contact. Don't ask me why I know!
Old 02-13-2020, 04:00 AM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #10883
I have a 2018 30.3. The unit was delivered with three TVs. Main ,bedroom, and outside. They all should work on regular ac circuit on shore power. On batteries with inverter on ac was supplied to bedroom and outside tv only. Thor said that they had to do that because the main tv in the counter is too close to the sink.
The switching between shore to inverter is accomplished by disconnecting shore power by you want turning on inverter by you. If it doesn't work lift the bed, open that hatch, tap on that transfer switch gently. It sticks occasionally. Inverter also powers outside fridge when on batteries. Does that work?
When it is working ask and I will tell you where to move the main tv cord so it will work on inverter also.