Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
TV and Radio reception.

To begin with our radio has never gotten decent reception. I have always wondered if the antenna was even hooked up on it. No big deal as I would normally stream an audio book instead of listening to the radio.

But now our TVs won't pick up ANY stations at all. Antenna booster is on and I rotate the antenna while scanning for channels...nothing but blue screen. Not a single channel picked up. And this is in places we've been before when I got great reception on multiple channels. Any chance the antenna has become disconnected? And if so how in the world would I check it or reconnect it?

TIA

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
A Thor field tech found our antenna to be bad. Replaced under warranty. It’s a little better. But you should also make sure your satellite radio antenna is sealed. As well as your cab clearance lights. That’s where my leaks were. Radio basically sux
CHS.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:30 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
To begin with our radio has never gotten decent reception. I have always wondered if the antenna was even hooked up on it. No big deal as I would normally stream an audio book instead of listening to the radio.

But now our TVs won't pick up ANY stations at all. Antenna booster is on and I rotate the antenna while scanning for channels...nothing but blue screen. Not a single channel picked up. And this is in places we've been before when I got great reception on multiple channels. Any chance the antenna has become disconnected? Yes, possibly due to vibration.

And if so how in the world would I check it or reconnect it?

TIA
Since you say all TVs There are only two points for OEM roof antenna. Verify behind the booster switch and if necessary go up on roof and remove antenna head and pull coax cable out to verify connections.

The above answers your questions.

If it were me, I would get another OTA portable antenna like the King model and connect it into electrical bay or wherever you coax connector outside is. You will then verify you can get channels in the area and on all TVs (or not). Assuming it works, I would then connect the portable OTA antenna temporarily in connection where roof antenna comes in. If it works and it should; it will prove you have bad antenna head on roof or the coax connection in roof has come loose. If it does not work, your booster receptacle plate needs to be replaced.

You can also check voltage to ensure 12vdc power is being supplied. I never found anything wrong with mine; so I bought the King Omni directional that I can place 25 - 30 ft around the RV if my local channels I should see don't come in well. It has worked well, but we now have our own mobile internet so we can stream our local channels over You tube TV. So I basically have 3 options for local TV. 1 Roof (King) 2. Portable (king) 3. Stream (You Tube TV)

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:33 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Since you say all TVs There are only two points for OEM roof antenna. Verify behind the booster switch and if necessary go up on roof and remove antenna head and pull coax cable out to verify connections.

If it were me, I would get another OTA portable antenna like the King model and connect it into electrical bay or wherever you coax connector outside is. You will then verify you can get channels in the area and on all TVs (or not). Assuming it works, I would then connect the portable OTA antenna temporarily in connection where roof antenna comes in. If it works and it should; it will prove you have bad antenna head on roof or the coax connection in roof has come loose. If it does not work, your booster receptacle plate needs to be replaced.

You can also check voltage to ensure 12vdc power is being supplied. I never found anything wrong with mine; so I bought the King Omni directional that I can place 25 - 30 ft around the RV if my local channels I should see don't come in well. It has worked well, but we now have our own mobile internet so we can stream our local channels over You tube TV. So I basically have 3 options for local TV. 1 Roof (King) 2. Portable (king) 3. Stream (You Tube TV)

Good luck
Thanks for the suggestions.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

Good luck
If you are talking about the King Jack line of antennas that won't work as they are also amplified and require 12 VDC to work. IF the OP wants to spend money on another antenna to do your troubleshooting they should pass the cable in the window and connect it directly to the TV.

But there is much more troubleshooting that can be done without buying a new antenna:
Coax connections and cable using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-Equ...dp/B019QXNJKY/

Verify 12 VDC to the power injector and then to the antenna amplifier with a voltmeter.

The OP didn't say what kind of OTA antenna they have but I have had the amplifier go bad in a Winegard batwing antenna before and had to replace the head unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-2.../dp/B0026RUOPQ
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:26 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
If you are talking about the King Jack line of antennas that won't work as they are also amplified and require 12 VDC to work. IF the OP wants to spend money on another antenna to do your troubleshooting they should pass the cable in the window and connect it directly to the TV.

But there is much more troubleshooting that can be done without buying a new antenna:
Coax connections and cable using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-Equ...dp/B019QXNJKY/

Verify 12 VDC to the power injector and then to the antenna amplifier with a voltmeter.

The OP didn't say what kind of OTA antenna they have but I have had the amplifier go bad in a Winegard batwing antenna before and had to replace the head unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-2.../dp/B0026RUOPQ
I wasn't intentionally specifying any particular type of antenna but suggesting one similar to the King. OP may have an existing antenna they could use? I don't have the King Jack and the model I referenced I bought was King OmniGo Directional https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA1501-P...66412774&psc=1

It is called the Omni Go Portable Omni Directional. It does come with with own power supply and booster. I agree you can go direct to TV through window.

While I never has situation where I got ZERO channels, I was always suspicious that the OEM King Antenna (not the Jack) wasn't very strong. We were tailgating in Memphis TN at the Liberty bowl and I could barely get the basic ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC channels etc.

My analysis did not find any issue with OEM Antenna head, or booster, just poor quality to get reception based on RV roof, AC units, area etc.

When I got the King Omni Go my reception dramatically improved. It came with very nice package and a magnetic base to go along with tripod. I should add that before I bought it, I did test with a basic RCA HDTV that I had. I kind of struggled buying another King product because I was basically not satisfied with the OEM model that I had.

I concede my response may have been assumptive, because not sure that the OP was happy with reception even when it was working? I know I wasn't. Ironically, I don't need my King OmniGo portable any more, but I keep it in the RV. Maybe one day I don't get the T Mobile Internet in some location?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:42 PM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I would start by connecting a TV cable to the roof antenna and run it directly to one of the TVs. If it works, you are disconnected somewhere. On my previous Vegas, most of the cable connections were loose, including the splitter.

Check the back of the radio for the antenna connection. With the antenna on top, you should get good reception. On our Vegas, the bedroom antenna wire was never stretched out, so reception was poor, until I untied it.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:49 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I would start by connecting a TV cable to the roof antenna and run it directly to one of the TVs. If it works, you are disconnected somewhere. On my previous Vegas, most of the cable connections were loose, including the splitter.

Check the back of the radio for the antenna connection. With the antenna on top, you should get good reception. On our Vegas, the bedroom antenna wire was never stretched out, so reception was poor, until I untied it.
That won't work if it is an amplified antenna as there will be no 12 VDC injected into the COAX to power the amplifier.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:52 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I stand corrected. Would work for a cable TV check. Still, I would check every connection starting with the one ones on the booster, then the splitter.