Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 01:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
TV Sound Bar .. How do you make it work??

I still haven't figured out how to get the sound bar to work with the living room TV. I found the power switch and volume controls on the soundbar, but haven't figured out which output or setting to use. It is connected to the TV with an optical cable. Any ideas?

Old 08-06-2017, 01:07 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I believe you have to go to the tv menu and select sound output, that's how my home tv works.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:31 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: California
THOR #5720
On the sound bar I installed it came with an optical cable. I plugged the optical cable into the back of the TV. I then connected the optical cable to the sound bar. When Iturned on the TV and the sound bar I then had to switch the sound bar to "OPT" to let the soundbar know what type of input connection to the soundbar to use for the audio connection. Once I set it to "OPT" it worked just fine.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
I still haven't figured out how to get the sound bar to work with the living room TV. I found the power switch and volume controls on the soundbar, but haven't figured out which output or setting to use. It is connected to the TV with an optical cable. Any ideas?
I just went thru this with our sound bar. Do what Ronmeir said.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #5

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmeier View Post
On the sound bar I installed it came with an optical cable. I plugged the optical cable into the back of the TV. I then connected the optical cable to the sound bar. When Iturned on the TV and the sound bar I then had to switch the sound bar to "OPT" to let the soundbar know what type of input connection to the soundbar to use for the audio connection. Once I set it to "OPT" it worked just fine.
Not sure what TV you have, but with the Sucky (Sekei) TV, I didn't see any options in the tv setup menu to select Optical Audio Output. Hence, this post..
Old 08-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #6

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Not sure what TV you have, but with the Sucky (Sekei) TV, I didn't see any options in the tv setup menu to select Optical Audio Output. Hence, this post..
Go thru the "mode" options on the sound bar. Stop at "opt", then you have to raise the volume on the sound bar. Both units volumes work. So, you can back down the tv volume seperately. Hope this makes sense.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #7

THOR #5720
I am assuming that you have a Seiki TV. Take a look at the owners manual where it shows the back of the TV with all of the input and output connections. Locate where it says Optical output. This is where you need to plug in the optical cable that you got with the soundbar. One end gets plugged into the TV and the other is plugged into the soundbar. There are no settings on the TV that need to be changed. Once you have the optical cord plugged into the TV it will recognize that you have an optical connection. Make sure that you have selected "OPT" on the soundbar and make sure you have the volume turned up on the soundbar and it should work.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #8

THOR #7853
The optical cable is already connected to the TV and sound bar. On the sound bar, there's a power button, button with a rectangle and arrow, Bluetooth button, up and down volume buttons. I have the sound bar volume maxed out as indicated by the LEDs on the sound bar. I have no options or menu on the sound bar. Unless it's the button with the rectangle and arrow. Tried pressing that button with the TV turned on. Nothing happens.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
The optical cable is already connected to the TV and sound bar. On the sound bar, there's a power button, button with a rectangle and arrow, Bluetooth button, up and down volume buttons. I have the sound bar volume maxed out as indicated by the LEDs on the sound bar. I have no options or menu on the sound bar. Unless it's the button with the rectangle and arrow. Tried pressing that button with the TV turned on. Nothing happens.
What model soundbar do you have? My Visio has an input button on the soundbar and remote that allows toggling between the input options.

You might try googling the soundbar make and model to get the owner's manual.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #10

THOR #5720
What is the make and model of the soundbar? Also when I installed the optical cable there were plastic coverings on each end to protect the cable. These must be removed before you plug the cable into the TV and the soundbar. On the cable I have if I unplug it from the soundbar and leave it connected to the TV with the TV power on, I see a red light at the end of the cable that gets plugged into the soundbar. This lets me know I have a good connection to the TV.

If your soundbar came with a remote, check the remote to see if there is a button to select source. On my soundbar I can cycle through the different sources and I only get sound when I select "OPT" - which is the way it should be.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:17 AM   #11

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Bought our 17 Challenger 37TB in April 2018, on FRIDAY 13TH WHAT WAS I THINKING !
We have the same issue. No DVD sound on livingroom TV, or Soundbar. The same DVD plays on the Bedroom TV, with sound.
Ours too is connected with an Optical cable.
On another post, some are finding a Subwoofer behind the fireplace, or one guy found his under the couch, in either case not hooked to anything.
I see this was from last year, did you resolve you problem ?
Old 07-11-2018, 06:21 AM   #12

THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Go thru the "mode" options on the sound bar. Stop at "opt", then you have to raise the volume on the sound bar. Both units volumes work. So, you can back down the tv volume seperately. Hope this makes sense.
[emoji106]
Old 07-11-2018, 06:28 AM   #13

THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
[emoji106]
Will be trying this soon, and looking for the elusive SUBWOOFER !
[emoji15]
Old 07-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #14

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Bought our 17 Challenger 37TB in April 2018, on FRIDAY 13TH WHAT WAS I THINKING !
We have the same issue. No DVD sound on livingroom TV, or Soundbar. The same DVD plays on the Bedroom TV, with sound.
Ours too is connected with an Optical cable.
On another post, some are finding a Subwoofer behind the fireplace, or one guy found his under the couch, in either case not hooked to anything.
I see this was from last year, did you resolve you problem ?
Yes I did. Figured out that if you toggle thru the different inputs using the mode button located on the sound bar that we got it working. We also bought a remote for the sound bar on Amazon and it works great. I found the sound bar model number on the sticker in the closet which lists all the components in the RV.

99dart's post above is spot on.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:24 AM   #15

THOR #11321
Quote:
Yes I did. Figured out that if you toggle thru the different inputs using the mode button located on the sound bar that we got it working. We also bought a remote for the sound bar on Amazon and it works great. I found the sound bar model number on the sticker in the closet which lists all the components in the RV.

99dart's post above is spot on.
Great ! Glad you figured it out ! Now I've to try that for myself! And look for that Subwoofer
Old 07-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #16

THOR #11321
Well I tried cycling through the inputs, to no avail, I disconnected the optical cable and it has the red light, so I assume I have signal to there. However, where is on sound to the TV Speakers on DVD either. Cable, or Antenna TV Speakers has sound, only On DVD is there no sound.
Anyone have any ideas what to check next. Gonna try RCAjack cables next. I have another Optical cable, but will have to remove TV to get to plug on the back of the TV.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180712_220708.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	11386Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180712_220659.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	11387
Old 07-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #17

THOR #5720
How do you have your DVD connected to the TV? I have a HDMI splitter and I Have my Directv receiver and my DVD player connected to the splitter with HDMI cables and I have one HDMI cable going to the TV. I Use the button on the splitter box to control what I want to watch and the sound bar works great for both TV and DVD player.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #18

THOR #11321
Ok , got the Soundbar working, by selecting the correct input with the remote. I was cycling through to fast, I waited a few seconds on each setting, finally hit the right one, just like mentioned in the above posts.
Still no Audio from DVD. So I CONNECTED the DVD PLAYER directly to the TV, I have Audio .
Switched out HDMI cables, from DVD player to the switcher, and From the Swither to the TV, still no Audio when playing DVDs.
Is it possible the Audio is bad in the switcher ?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #19

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #10833
For most soundbars using optical input, the TV audio output needs to be set to PCM. If not then use the RCA cables. The PCM setting is usually found in the audio submenu.

Sorry saw you fixed that