Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2022, 02:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 4000
State: Florida
THOR #24816
Ultralevel stuck with rear jacks down?

2019 Thor Aria 4000 with Cummins ISL 360 on Freight-liner chassis. Experiencing some troubling issues that I think are related to the charging system for chassis batteries and need some more experienced help with diagnosis? My primary issue is my Ultralevel jacks (rear) are stuck in down position but my panel has power but is not responding. Manual says this system is sensitive to correct/good voltage in a specific range (above 12.7V)?

Background: Chassis batteries have died twice in 6 months. We use the coach regularly. RV is plugged into 50A power unless on a road-trip. First time they died, I thought “bad batteries” and replaced them. Second time, 1 month later, batteries would not crank the bus, but tested good at Autozone (they could not load test). They replaced them at my request for free and the bus cranked fine. Also experiencing some other symptoms that makes me suspect the alternator and the converter may not be charging the chassis batteries properly (if at all)? Symptoms: (1) Ignition on and engine running – dash battery guage reads below 13V. (2) The chassis computer kicked out (blinked) twice and reset my trip mileage, fuel used and knocked me out of cruise control and displayed (briefly) an engine light. Then everything went back to normal – the bus never went into limp mode. (3) Ignition on, engine running, Ultralevel jacks down – now the Ultralevel system is frozen (electronically) and when turned on, initially shows “low voltage” but does not respond to button commands. I have tried the Ultralevel reset procedure but no impact – won’t respond. When I try to retract (only rear jacks went down) the Ultralevel panel doesn’t respond but I have the center level green lights and no other warnings. When I release the park break, the jacks do not reset or retract? I don’t seem to have any breakers of fuses tripped or blown? First, can anyone help me get the Ultralevel system reset since I may be doing something wrong? Second, can anyone confirm or deny my assumption that I may have a “voltage” issue and have my alternator or my converter tested by a pro? Looking for some friendly help?

Old 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Sounds like your alternator is not charging properly, but let's get the jacks up.

It sounds like the 100 amp DC breaker from your house batteries is tripped (or your house batteries are dead).

The breaker should be close to the house batteries and looks like:

Push the button to trip it and push the flag back in to reset it.

This breaker also powers your generator so if you can crank your generator then this (and your house batteries status) is not the problem.

If you have reset the panel and are running the engine so there is > 12.7 VDC sensed by the panel the "Low Voltage" light should not be lit.

If the generator cranks and your low voltage light is out and you still can't retract the jacks you may have an issue with the hydraulic pump or it's solenoid. In that case break out your Lippert manual for the manual procedure to retract the jacks (or download the manual online). This involves opening solenoid operated hydraulic valves with an Allen wrench and spinning the motor/hydraulic pump with a socket (and ratchet or drill).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:48 PM   #3

THOR #24816
Thanks Ted - you were right on...the 100A breaker had tripped and closing it up restored Ultralevel control. An observation: I could start my generator, even though the breaker was tripped?...should I be concerned? I still feel that I have a chassis battery charging problem. When I start the coach, the battery gage on the dash reads well below 13V for several minutes...almost around 8 V. I don't think that is normal. I will look up how to test my alternator. Then there is the issue of the chassis batteries going dead (new ones) twice in the last few months...I will also consult my Thor Resources Site and troubleshoot the converter. If you have any suggestions...I'd be very appreciative since you magically solved my first issue as I have maintenance and troubleshooting savvy but lack experience with this new coach. I thank you!
Old 02-16-2022, 02:53 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Use your VOM at your battery manager, whichever type you have, and simply check the voltage on both sides running the engine and with it off

Some units have built in timers and will close after the set time
Old 02-16-2022, 03:05 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT2 View Post
Thanks Ted - you were right on...the 100A breaker had tripped and closing it up restored Ultralevel control. An observation: I could start my generator, even though the breaker was tripped?...should I be concerned? I still feel that I have a chassis battery charging problem. When I start the coach, the battery gage on the dash reads well below 13V for several minutes...almost around 8 V. I don't think that is normal. I will look up how to test my alternator. Then there is the issue of the chassis batteries going dead (new ones) twice in the last few months...I will also consult my Thor Resources Site and troubleshoot the converter. If you have any suggestions...I'd be very appreciative since you magically solved my first issue as I have maintenance and troubleshooting savvy but lack experience with this new coach. I thank you!
Glad you got those jacks up!

Well the Aria may be wired differently than your standard Thor Class A gasser so the generator may have it's own DC breaker for starting. I think you definitely need to check out the engine charging system, as well as verify the chassis batteries are charging properly from the converter through the BIRD/BIM (battery isolator). Logging into the Thor Owners Resource site and downloading your electrical wiring documents should help in the latter case.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:29 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
8 volts at start up is very low. After cranking the engine the chassis batteries should need a boost so the volts should be up in the 14+ range then drop back after the batteries have recovered from the drain of cranking. Sounds like the voltage regulator is not working properly. That would also be why the chassis batteries are going dead. If you're lucky the voltage regulator will be a stand-alone unit and can be changed without pulling the alternator.
I don't think the coach's converter is causing your chassis battery issues.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:30 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Check for a battery disconnect near the batteries. Be sure it's set to the "on/connected" position, if not your batteries will not charge while plugged into shore power or generator, but you could still have 12 volt power to some items through the converter. Do not attempt using only the converter to operate slides or levelers as this will result in converter damage.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:22 PM   #8

THOR #24816
Battery disconnect at the chassis batteries is functioning properly. When off-nothing happens and engine won’t crank…when on, all chassis functions are operating. I’ll check the BIRD and the battery manager on both sides as suggested…then report back. Will do research tonight on where the voltage regulator might be and how to test?
Old 02-16-2022, 10:53 PM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Battery disconnect at the chassis batteries is functioning properly. When off-nothing happens and engine won’t crank…when on, all chassis functions are operating. I’ll check the BIRD and the battery manager on both sides as suggested…then report back. Will do research tonight on where the voltage regulator might be and how to test?
Don't know on the 6.7 but the 8.9 uses a Delco Alternator typically and the regulator is built in

Since you have a fairly high output alternator as well could be the same