Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 32N
State: North Carolina
THOR #15896
2015 Windsport batteries

Mechanic replacing my batteries and needs picture to make sure he hooks them back up as they were previously. Can someone shoot me a picture of your batteries and the wiring? Thanks

Old 08-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #11007
Assume you're talking coach/house batteries? Just replace those in our '15 Windsport earlier this week. Best to take pics AND label most or all of the wires prior to removal; just in case your system has slight differences. That said, let me dig out the pics I took to supplement my labeling. Won't be complete, but perhaps helpful.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

THOR #11007
Check your PM's and send me an email address - the pics are too large (5mb+) to easily attach here.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2015 View Post
Mechanic replacing my batteries and needs picture to make sure he hooks them back up as they were previously. Can someone shoot me a picture of your batteries and the wiring? Thanks
It will help if you include the model of your Windsport. 30 amp coaches only came with one battery and the battery compartment will only hold two group 27 batteries. 50 amp coaches have two batteries installed and have room for four batteries in the battery compartment. Then there is the question of 6 or 12 volt batteries, as they are wired differently.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2015 View Post
Your mechanic worries me.. Unless you are delivering an RV that has had the batteries removed he should be able to label wires and make a diagram that he understands. Pictures from anyone else's rig just aren't safe.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #2154
Absolutely agree with APR67 - any capable mechanic should be able to label (+) and (-) cables when removing them from original batteries and put them back onto new ones. It's not that complicated.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 24HL
THOR #15850
For some reason, Thor chose not to color code the wires going to the house batteries. Typically, red is positive and black is negative. I replaced mine a couple of months ago and decided to turn them around so that the fill holes were closer to the front. I thought I had everything figured properly but still managed to screw it up and hooked them up backwards. The good news is that the distribution panel has a couple of reverse polarity fuses that protected everything. Once I got the polarity right, I replaced the fuses and all was good.

You have to take the internal panel cover off to access the reverse polarity fuses.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:34 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Sorry, but I'd look for another mechanic.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote