Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #6857
palazzo dash A/C recharge

My dash a/c was very weak so I bought an ez-full kit. Connected gauge it read zero. Added 18 oz and the unit started cooling. Pleasure about 15. Thought 45 was the correct pressure so I added a 12 oz can. Pressure came up to 24. Ran to the store bought 2 more cans. Started with the first can and when pressure got slightly above 25 the a/c compressor started cycling on/off. Called ez-chill and their tech said 45 was the right target pressure and that I was not overcharged. Problem is I don't believe the answer. Seems to me the a/c should not cycle on/off when turned set to max and the RV is 80+ degrees inside.

Looking for recommendations/suggestions

Old 06-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
It turned out we had a faulty pressure switch on ours when it was doing similar to yours but, we never had a low freon situation.
It does sound like a pressure switch problem. In the old days, like over 30 years ago when I worked in a shop, a cycling compressor usually meant either a pressure switch or a low pressure situation.... low of freon.

I believe the switch they ended up replacing on ours was up front under the hood. I think to diagnose it, the tech simply jumped the switch and it stopped cycling. I didn't get to watch him make the repair so I'm not 100% sure.

Good luck