Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2022, 02:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E.
State: Florida
THOR #26822
Onan 5500 won’t start, flashing light

Friends are staying over and using the RV for a couple nights. Went out to start generator tonight and… nothing. Full tank of gas, plenty of oil, primed, etc. When I hit the start button either in the coach or on the generator itself, it just flashes. When I release the button, flashing stops. Any ideas?

Old 07-09-2022, 02:46 AM   #2

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
In your manual is a table that shows the meaning of the flashing light sequence.

It will flash two different numbers from which you can read the fault on the chart.

This might help too or you can use the search function to find many previous posts for this issue.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...A_KPZ5R8lUf2wB

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:21 AM   #3

THOR #26822
I read through some posts about the error codes but it’s not flashing two different numbers, it’s just continuous flashing as long as the start button is pressed. When I take my finger off, it stops.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:26 AM   #4

THOR #26822
Fixed it. My wife read somewhere to start the rv and let it run for 10-15 minutes and then try starting the generator. That did the trick.

Thank you for the tip on the blinking lights and fault codes. Will definitely do more reading on that!
Old 07-09-2022, 03:54 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Huh?? Was the battery low? What was the purpose of starting the engine... charging the battery enough to crank over the generator starter?
Old 07-09-2022, 04:01 AM   #6

THOR #26822
I have no idea. It is (and has been) plugged into shore power, so my house batteries should have had a full charge. This was confirmed by the indicator on the control panel. The RV started right up, so I’m guessing the chassis battery is fine. I usually go out every 5-7 days to start it up just to make sure. Does the generator start off the house batteries or the chassis battery?
Old 07-09-2022, 04:04 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Should start from the house batteries. Is your store/use battery disconnect switch in the ON/USE position?
Old 07-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #8

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dteachmh View Post
Friends are staying over and using the RV for a couple nights. Went out to start generator tonight and… nothing. Full tank of gas, plenty of oil, primed, etc. When I hit the start button either in the coach or on the generator itself, it just flashes. When I release the button, flashing stops. Any ideas?

I think when you are starting the Onan generators (not familiar with the 5500) they will normally blink the LED on the start switch while cranking until the generator actually starts. Did you hold the remote start button in the stop position in order to prime the generator before trying to start it? If not, try that for 15 seconds before you try starting position. If it does not start then try the prime and start process again.
I assume the generator is cranking OK so the coach batteries are likely already charged and capable of cranking the generator. If this is a correct assumption, then if the OP has had success by first running the coach engine for 15 minutes (and the generator is located up front near the engine), then the generator will start after that..... it might be because the heat from the engine has affected the choke mechanism on the generator possibly. If this is correct then the choke needs some adjustment. My 2013 ACE generator (4000 micro quiet) was a hard starter from new, until I adjusted the choke spring mechanism. I assume the 5500 choke units are similarly built but that may not be the case of course.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:13 PM   #9

THOR #26822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Should start from the house batteries. Is your store/use battery disconnect switch in the ON/USE position?

I have heard about that switch but I have never seen it. Where would it be located?
Old 07-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #10

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
THOR #2631
Typically the use/store switch connects the converter (battery charger) and its associated house fuse panel to the house (coach) batteries when it is on (coach latching relay contacts are closed). The hydraulic jack system motor and generator starter motor are connected to the house (coach) batteries through a 100 amp breaker fed directly off the coach batteries usually. Your generator is cranking OK from your descriptions so "problem" is something else.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I have heard about that switch but I have never seen it. Where would it be located?
Time to learn about your MH systems.

Dead house batteries could have been your vent fan issue as well.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:25 PM   #12

THOR #26822
Could be. It’s almost like the house batteries are not charging, but when I push the battery indicator on the control panel, it says the battery is full. It is always plugged into shore power so theoretically, the house batteries should be fully charged at all times.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:43 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Could be. It’s almost like the house batteries are not charging, but when I push the battery indicator on the control panel, it says the battery is full. It is always plugged into shore power so theoretically, the house batteries should be fully charged at all times.
Except that battery indicator is useless when plugged into Sp, it shows the converter voltage, not the house batteries.

And house batteries won't charge from the converter if the battery disconnect is OPEN (USE/STORE switch in STORE; Master Power switch OFF).

If you have an "indicator" light by that switch, it DOES NOT indicate the status of the switch if you are plugged into SP - it just indicates the DC buss has 12 VDC on it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote