Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 12:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #16233
2015 Miramar Converter Problem

Happy Sunday folks! We are feverishly working to take a trip to Gettysburg tomorrow and I'm having a dickens of a time getting the batteries to charge. I bought two new 12 V deep cycles today and have connected them independently of one another. Said differently, there are two positive cables and two negative cables in the battery compartment. I attached one positive and one negative to each battery, presuming this was the right way to go.

It appears that my converter is not charging the batteries, and I'm trying to check the fuses on the converter but can't find it. Does anyone any suggestions on how to access the converter and any ideas on what else I should check? It sounds like the converter is directly behind the fuse panel under the bed, but I can't quite seem to figure out how to get to it.

My lovely bride and five kids are relying on me to get the rig running, and the batteries are the last piece. Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope!

Kidding aside, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2019, 12:54 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
The batteries need to be connected together - and to the RV load/charger.
For 2 12v batteries, they should be connect positive to positive and negative to negative (parallel connection)
The leads to the RV then connect to the batteries (ideally positive leads to one battery and negative to the other, but any combination will work.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:03 AM   #3

THOR #16233
Thanks Greg, I've been reading that and now realize I should have connected the two 12V batteries in parallel to create one large bank. What's confusing me is that the coach itself has two positive leads and two negative. I suppose, therefore, that what I should do is to connect the batteries in parallel, and then connect both positive leads to one batteries positive post and both negative leads to the other batteries negative post. Does that sound about right to you?

Last question, any idea how to gain access to the converter on a Thor Miramar? I'm pretty sure I tripped the breaker on the converter and need to reset it, but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Bill
Old 08-05-2019, 01:16 AM   #4

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Which Miramar do you have? I have a '19 37.1. Our converter is under the bed.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 AM   #5

THOR #16233
Thanks Funmoneypit.

We have a 2015 34.3, which is the bunkhouse model. I know the converter is beneath the master bed, but I can't quite seem to get to it. There is a large storage area beneath the bed but it isn't in there. It appears to be between that storage area and the outside frame of the bed, but I can't figure out how to get in there.

Suggestions are more than welcomed at this point.

Thanks all.

Bill
Old 08-05-2019, 01:40 AM   #6
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead94 View Post
Thanks Greg, I've been reading that and now realize I should have connected the two 12V batteries in parallel to create one large bank. What's confusing me is that the coach itself has two positive leads and two negative. I suppose, therefore, that what I should do is to connect the batteries in parallel, and then connect both positive leads to one batteries positive post and both negative leads to the other batteries negative post. Does that sound about right to you?

Last question, any idea how to gain access to the converter on a Thor Miramar? I'm pretty sure I tripped the breaker on the converter and need to reset it, but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Bill
Ideally yes... but it will work if you connect one positive from coach to each battery, etc. The parallel connections between batteries is what was missing.
The cables might not be long enough for ‘ideal’.

Can’t help with converter location on Miramar.. hopefully someone else can.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 08-05-2019, 01:54 AM   #7

THOR #12333
Did you hook the batteries up the correct way yet? This may solve your problem and you don't need to access the converter.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:12 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The converter is in the bottom of the breaker/fuse panel. unless you hooked the batteries up backward it is probably not your problem. There is a DC breaker between the batteries and the converter that people tend to trip when replacing batteries. Find it and verify it is not tripped (flag showing).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:12 AM   #9

THOR #16233
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I've accessed the converter and identified that it is not the problem. My hypothesis now is that the knuckle-head I paid to winterize my RV mislabeled the leads going into the battery compartment. There are four of them and he labeled two as positive and two as negative. One of the negative (ground) wires is clearly a ground - it attaches directly to the frame. The other disappears into a wiring harness so I suspect that it is mislabeled.

So the question of the hour for the other Thor owners is this: if you also have four leads (i.e. battery cables with ends that attach to posts) in your battery compartment, how many are connected to the positive terminals and how many are connected to the negative ones? Do you know what the leads are for (e.g. one to the inverter, one to the emergency start switch for the chassis, one for accessories, etc.)? When I say four leads, I am excluding any jumper wires that are used to connect the positive terminals to the other positive terminals in a 12V parallel configuration. I'm talking about four leads that eminate from the coach into the battery compartment.

Hot on the trail - thanks for the help! I really wish Thor had wiring diagrams....

Thanks,

Bill
Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I've accessed the converter and identified that it is not the problem. My hypothesis now is that the knuckle-head I paid to winterize my RV mislabeled the leads going into the battery compartment. There are four of them and he labeled two as positive and two as negative. One of the negative (ground) wires is clearly a ground - it attaches directly to the frame. The other disappears into a wiring harness so I suspect that it is mislabeled.

So the question of the hour for the other Thor owners is this: if you also have four leads (i.e. battery cables with ends that attach to posts) in your battery compartment, how many are connected to the positive terminals and how many are connected to the negative ones? Do you know what the leads are for (e.g. one to the inverter, one to the emergency start switch for the chassis, one for accessories, etc.)? When I say four leads, I am excluding any jumper wires that are used to connect the positive terminals to the other positive terminals in a 12V parallel configuration. I'm talking about four leads that eminate from the coach into the battery compartment.

Hot on the trail - thanks for the help! I really wish Thor had wiring diagrams....

Thanks,

Bill
You might find a wiring diagram on Thor Motorcoach Owners Resource site. Need your VIN... 2014 and newer.
There will be multiple leads.. including negative/ground. Ground wires run throughout the coach. doesn’t rely on chassis (which isn’t accessible in cabinets, etc... and several high current loads.
While there can be junctions in battery compartment as well, I would expect separate lead to jacks, inverter, and coach loads (goes to use/store.. emergency start switch, etc) at minimum.
Following wiring, the positive should pass thru 100 amp or so resettable breakers.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 08-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Happy Sunday folks! We are feverishly working to take a trip to Gettysburg tomorrow and I'm having a dickens of a time getting the batteries to charge. I bought two new 12 V deep cycles today and have connected them independently of one another. Said differently, there are two positive cables and two negative cables in the battery compartment. I attached one positive and one negative to each battery, presuming this was the right way to go.

It appears that my converter is not charging the batteries, and I'm trying to check the fuses on the converter but can't find it. Does anyone any suggestions on how to access the converter and any ideas on what else I should check? It sounds like the converter is directly behind the fuse panel under the bed, but I can't quite seem to figure out how to get to it.

My lovely bride and five kids are relying on me to get the rig running, and the batteries are the last piece. Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope!

Kidding aside, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
if you don't have a multi-meter get one and learn how to use it. The fuses on the converter are 12 volts. They feed circuits through out the coach. The converter is powered by 120 volts. Now look for two 30 or 40 amp fuses. They will be marked Reverse polarity fuses. Check them with a meter. Don't just look. Now go find the 120 20 amp breaker feeding the converter. turn it off the on.

The bed should lift up to access. You may need #2 square tipped driver to remove screws holding panels in place.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #12

THOR #12333
You most likely do have multiple positive and negative cables going to the batteries. I have three positive and three negative cables going to the batteries. Then there are even lugs where there are more cables. Connect the cables as labeled and all your problems may go away.

Tags
batteries hookup?, converter, thor miramar