Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2021, 03:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #23309
Thor Windsport 34J - Slide Slow to Extend

Hi All,

I have a 2020 Thor 34J, which has one long slide. Today, it would only extend a few inches, and then finally after closing and opening it twice it finally extended the entire way. Any ideas why the slide would seem to stop after a few inches? The motor sounds fine. I always level before I extend the slide. I just purchased this Thor a couple months ago and haven't done anything with slides yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Daniel

Old 07-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrundy View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2020 Thor 34J, which has one long slide. Today, it would only extend a few inches, and then finally after closing and opening it twice it finally extended the entire way. Any ideas why the slide would seem to stop after a few inches? The motor sounds fine. I always level before I extend the slide. I just purchased this Thor a couple months ago and haven't done anything with slides yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Daniel
Sounds like the slide motors were out of sync. YouTube has numerous videos on how to sync and operate the Schwintek slide system.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
As you, I have a full wall slide.
What I have noticed so far is that full wall slides are very sensitive to leveling.
Check if your auto level function is really leveling the motorhome front to back and side to side.
Measure the level in several points along the floor.
If autoleveling is not leveling correctelly (one sign is the refrigerator door wanting to open or close when left partially open), level the coach manually until YOUR measure is correct, then shut down the engine and turn off the auto leveling.
Turn the ignition key on(but not the engine) and turn the leveling system on.
Press front five times and then back five times.
lights will start blinking.
Then push retract all jacks 3 times...
you will see the lights to stop blinking and the wait light turn on.
When the wait light turn off, turn the system off and now your leveling system have a new zero point.
also check the CHASSIS battery.
If I understood right the slides are connected to the chassis battery and not to the house ones, if the chassis battery is low in voltage, that will means that the slide motors will draw a higher amperage and that can trigger the module to "think" the system have a short and shut down power to it.
My Slide was randomly doing that...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
As you, I have a full wall slide.
What I have noticed so far is that full wall slides are very sensitive to leveling.
Check if your auto level function is really leveling the motorhome front to back and side to side.
Measure the level in several points along the floor.
If autoleveling is not leveling correctelly (one sign is the refrigerator door wanting to open or close when left partially open), level the coach manually until YOUR measure is correct, then shut down the engine and turn off the auto leveling.
Turn the ignition key on(but not the engine) and turn the leveling system on.
Press front five times and then back five times.
lights will start blinking.
Then push retract all jacks 3 times...
you will see the lights to stop blinking and the wait light turn on.
When the wait light turn off, turn the system off and now your leveling system have a new zero point.
also check the CHASSIS battery.
If I understood right the slides are connected to the chassis battery and not to the house ones, if the chassis battery is low in voltage, that will means that the slide motors will draw a higher amperage and that can trigger the module to "think" the system have a short and shut down power to it.
My Slide was randomly doing that...
Maybe they changed it in 2021 but the LCI slides have always been powered by the house batteries.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:21 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Per 16ACE27...... Levelers and Slides only use the house batteries. Sometimes the engine needs to be running so the alternator can provide a boost to the house batteries to get the voltage level where it needs to be to properly operate the slide motors or the leveler motor.

If you are not holding the Extend or Retract button for 5 seconds after the slide is fully open and stopped or fully closed and stopped, the motors will eventually get out of sync and you can experience the issue you described.

To resync the motors properly you need to.....

- Open the slide fully

- Close the slide 3 - 5 inches and stop

- Open the slide fully and hold the extend button for 5 seconds after the motors stop

- The repeat this process a total of three or four times

This will resync the motors and they will stay synced as long as you always hold the Extend / Retract button for 5 seconds after the motors stop.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:46 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you ever put any lube on the moving parts?
Old 07-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #23309
Thanks all for the responses. The issue was that I had a bag in the bedroom that was between the slide and the bed -- it causes the slide to become slightly uneven with the front. I move them in and out and the slide got on track. Thanks for the suggestions. I need to also fix my auto-leveler so that suggestion is going to be useful.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to read that you're on it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote