Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
3 questions need help with ws31--Thor Quantum

Hi 3 questions I need to ask for help answering:

#1- Fresh water storage tank smells and is slimy--- looking to find a drain to empty and flush out. Has order and slime in the lines from past owner leaving water in it and not using much.. Smells

#2- outside sink? There is a pump next to the sink. Don't know what it is for. The outside sink will not drain so I assume it pumps the water up and out to the tanks. Any suggestions here.

#3- This one is weird. I have never owned an RV that had any sink connected to the black water tank? This one has the Bathroom sink draining into the black water tank. Found out by accident afte trying to find out why the BW tank was filling up so quickly!! So I ran all the water sources separate from each other, watched the tank levels and the Bath sink share the BW tank with the toilet. Now I am not sure if this was by design or a factory screw up?

Thanks for helping

Quantum

Old 02-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #2

Model: Quantum rw28
State: Louisiana
THOR #22150
Hi. Not sure about questions 2 & 3. But my rw28 has a drain spigot on the left side by the rear wheel that drains the FW tank. Good luck
Old 02-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New Jersey
THOR #5166
One gallon of bleach should be added to tank then fill it up. Run water out of all faucets till bleach is smelled. Leave in lines and tank for an hour or so then drain and refill. Run water till bleach smell is gone.

Pump drains sink.

The design of sink into black tank is to ensure there is enough water in tank to drain properly. No mistake.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question 2: turn that pump on to drain the sink.
Question 3: Plumbing the bathroom sink into the blackwater tank is,a very common practice.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Hi 3 questions I need to ask for help answering:

#1- Fresh water storage tank smells and is slimy--- looking to find a drain to empty and flush out. Has order and slime in the lines from past owner leaving water in it and not using much.. Smells

#2- outside sink? There is a pump next to the sink. Don't know what it is for. The outside sink will not drain so I assume it pumps the water up and out to the tanks. Any suggestions here.

#3- This one is weird. I have never owned an RV that had any sink connected to the black water tank? This one has the Bathroom sink draining into the black water tank. Found out by accident afte trying to find out why the BW tank was filling up so quickly!! So I ran all the water sources separate from each other, watched the tank levels and the Bath sink share the BW tank with the toilet. Now I am not sure if this was by design or a factory screw up?

Thanks for helping

Quantum
#1 - Unknown by me for your RV

#2 - Yep, "macerator" pump to drain the sink. Switch is near the sink under something.

#3 - Standard Thor (and others) practice for bath sink to drain to black tank to prevent tank drain problems. Not a problem unless you shave, brush your teeth, etc leaving the water running which is poor RVing, water saving practice anyway.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #6

THOR #21704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copterdoc View Post
Hi. Not sure about questions 2 & 3. But my rw28 has a drain spigot on the left side by the rear wheel that drains the FW tank. Good luck
Thanks, I also have one but that may be clogged as it just drips so need to clean that to.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #7

THOR #21704
Thanks. I've been looking for something I can use to push through the spout and move the debris.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #8

THOR #21704
FW drain flowing real nice after blasting it with air from the spigot and back in
Old 02-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehood View Post
One gallon of bleach should be added to tank then fill it up. Run water out of all faucets till bleach is smelled. Leave in lines and tank for an hour or so then drain and refill. Run water till bleach smell is gone.

Pump drains sink.

The design of sink into black tank is to ensure there is enough water in tank to drain properly. No mistake.

Don’t use a whole gallon of bleach. 1/4 cup per 15 gallons of tank capacity pumped to each faucet and left for 4 hours then flushed will kill the slime and the smell. “They” say to do this annually but if you use well water you might need to do it more often.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #10

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Depending on how slimy the tank is you may want to keep the water bleach solution in for 24 hours and possibly drive around to help it slosh around. Also you need to use normal bleach not the splash less kind.