Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #21

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
from the picture supplied it is a center off switch with on/off up/down. Different relay installed

Old 07-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's what the panel shows...

But the switch itself; is unmarked...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have the new form of light up switch on my 2018 Thor Siesta. I also had the same switch on my 2016 Winnebago ERA when I owned it.

Paul
Old 07-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #24

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That's what the panel shows...

But the switch itself; is unmarked...
Switch would no it be if the panel is marked.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
while I agree: Do we completely trust Thor's "Fast-Food industry workers"; to always use the most up to date pieces?
Old 07-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Right, that is my contention that this RV has the new system in place but they mounted the old switch.

I do not know when that officially changed but, like everything else, it was likely a running change and they just did it one day on the line.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #27

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Use / Store Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Right, that is my contention that this RV has the new system in place but they mounted the old switch.

I do not know when that officially changed but, like everything else, it was likely a running change and they just did it one day on the line.

My 2020 Magnitude has the same switch. Only difference is that it has the red light next to it..... but it works the same.

Press it once and the batteries are connected to the coach. Press it again and the batteries are disconnected from the coach.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #28

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Something being said here that doesn't make sense. In Post #15 he says when he presses USE he hears a clunk (as you should when the latching relay is moving from STORE to USE). Then he says when he pushes USE again he hears the latching solenoid again. That should not be so. You should only hear the latching relay solenoid "clunk" when it changes from one state (USE to STORE, and then STORE to USE).
he latching relay when properly working should be in one state or another. It should not change states until you change the USE/STORE switch to a different state. Pushing the USE/STORE a second time when it is already in the state you are pushing should not change the latching relay. Once a latching relay is put in one state it will not change states until commanded to do so -- that's why it is called a latching relay -- once put in a state it latches into that position until commanded to go to the other state.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Could power being applied; in an attempt to change it to where it already is: cause even a "click", that might be misinterpreted?
Old 07-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
I think the general consensus that I have the newer system with an old style switch is likely the case. If the switch had a light that illuminated with one push and then went out with another it would make total sense. As it stands the only way I know if the system is in Use or Store is if I can turn on the interior lights. I may contact Thor to see if they'll send me the correct switch.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #31

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Jamie,
Do you know when they changed that?
I have a 2020 and the light is not in the switch. Here is what mine looks like.

Also, as it has been previously mentioned, the light will stay lit up if on shore power and the the switch has disconnected the batteries. The Converter will still provide power to the 12V items so the light is lit even though the batteries may be disconnected via the relay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 5.47.15 PM.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	24655  
Old 07-05-2020, 10:53 PM   #32
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
I think the general consensus that I have the newer system with an old style switch is likely the case. If the switch had a light that illuminated with one push and then went out with another it would make total sense. As it stands the only way I know if the system is in Use or Store is if I can turn on the interior lights. I may contact Thor to see if they'll send me the correct switch.
What year is your coach?
Did you buy it new or used?

It looks like you have the old style switch which is correct for your coach by the label plate;
But the new style latching relay that has B contacts that switch polarity as the latching relay moves instead of requiring the activating switch to switch polarities.

I suspect your latching relay has been replaced at some point and the wrong style latching relay installed.

Just recognize it for what it is and use the switch appropriately. People with the newer style switches only know what position the latching relay is in if they are NOT connected to SP. When connected to SP the little red LED is useless.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:38 PM   #33

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What year is your coach?
Did you buy it new or used?

It looks like you have the old style switch which is correct for your coach by the label plate;
But the new style latching relay that has B contacts that switch polarity as the latching relay moves instead of requiring the activating switch to switch polarities.

I suspect your latching relay has been replaced at some point and the wrong style latching relay installed.

Just recognize it for what it is and use the switch appropriately. People with the newer style switches only know what position the latching relay is in if they are NOT connected to SP. When connected to SP the little red LED is useless.
I'm going to follow this advice...
Old 07-08-2020, 11:56 PM   #34

State: Alabama
THOR #8604
Wink Store/Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
Not sure where to put this one. My Use/Store switch seems to toggle on and off no matter if I click it up of down. If I push the top of the switch under "Use" more than once it just cycles on and off. I can hear the solenoid switching and the power to the coach is definitely being turned on and off - but is the switch supposed to work this way?

One way to see if it is working is to turn on the overhead lights and see if they go out when you toggle to store. When my switch is depressed the lights come on (if the light switch is turned on) and when I release the store switch they go out along with all the other 12v circuits. Toggle back to use and they come back on.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:04 AM   #35

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruisin View Post
I read a while ago that:

"store" will allow the battery to take a charge but not discharge power. E.g. Connected to shore power or in storage.

"Use" is just that, the battery can take a charge but will also discharge as necessary to power the RV.

People with more experience will be able to expand on that.

Hope this helps.
If you are connected to shore power that is normal.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:04 AM   #36

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat334 View Post
One way to see if it is working is to turn on the overhead lights and see if they go out when you toggle to store. When my switch is depressed the lights come on (if the light switch is turned on) and when I release the store switch they go out along with all the other 12v circuits. Toggle back to use and they come back on.
To do this test you have to turn off the converter or unplug the shore power.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #37
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
hmmmm...he states that this 'STORE' switch position WILL disengage the Propane Detector, which I've always seemed to believe did NOT, as the detector is a safety/llfe feature that 'always' has power, like the Co2 detector, or a Smoke detector.
My disconnects have always been ‘complete’ - including the propane / CO detector...
As the rig is only in STORE when unoccupied... and there is no ignition source... and no one to hear any alarm - seems perfectly normal and even desired to me to have it off.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have a 2020 and the light is not in the switch. Here is what mine looks like.

Also, as it has been previously mentioned, the light will stay lit up if on shore power and the the switch has disconnected the batteries. The Converter will still provide power to the 12V items so the light is lit even though the batteries may be disconnected via the relay.
Thanks for the pic!
I'm sure ouu remember what our 2018 Outlaw 29 H models had
for switches...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1594299958
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch panel.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	24731  
Old 07-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #39

State: Alabama
THOR #8604
That is correct cavie. Ready to actually store the RV.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:54 PM   #40

Brand: Jayco
State: New Jersey
THOR #19560
The latching relay in the Use/Store is activated by a momentary type switch. Do not install a switch that switches on and off or you'll burn out the latching relay. It's meant to be activated ONLY by a momentary contact switch. In your case the switch operates the momentary contact both up and down (unusual) but any momentary switch will activate the Use/Store function. The relay makes or breaks. Each has a different sound.