Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2020, 12:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Use / Store Switch

Not sure where to put this one. My Use/Store switch seems to toggle on and off no matter if I click it up of down. If I push the top of the switch under "Use" more than once it just cycles on and off. I can hear the solenoid switching and the power to the coach is definitely being turned on and off - but is the switch supposed to work this way?

Old 07-03-2020, 12:20 AM   #2

State: California
THOR #17745
I read a while ago that:

"store" will allow the battery to take a charge but not discharge power. E.g. Connected to shore power or in storage.

"Use" is just that, the battery can take a charge but will also discharge as necessary to power the RV.

People with more experience will be able to expand on that.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:52 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The Use / Store switch is not DPDT switch. It is a temporary switch that enables or disables a latching relay.

In the Store mode, the house batteries are disconnected from the coach. When in the Use mode, the house batteries are connected to the coach to power your 12 appliances and accessories and to allow the Converter / Charger to charge the house batteries when plugged into shore power.

Some have a red light built into the switch. When the red light is on (when not on shore power), it lets you know you are in the Use mode. However, if on Shore Power, the red light can be on even when in Store mode.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:26 AM   #4

THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
(snip)...In the Store mode, the house batteries are disconnected from the coach. When in the Use mode, the house batteries are connected to the coach to power your 12 appliances and accessories and to allow the Converter / Charger to charge the house batteries when plugged into shore power.
I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. I can switch between Store and Use mode by just pressing the switch twice. Doesn't matter if I press it up or down.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:41 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruisin View Post
I read a while ago that:

"store" will allow the battery to take a charge but not discharge power. E.g. Connected to shore power or in storage.

"Use" is just that, the battery can take a charge but will also discharge as necessary to power the RV.

Hope this helps.
Not correct!! STORE disconnects the battery from the DC buss - no current into or out of the battery except in some coaches the CO/Propane detector may still be powered from the battery.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:43 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. I can switch between Store and Use mode by just pressing the switch twice. Doesn't matter if I press it up or down.
That behavior is incorrect. Your latching relay may have a problem or it may have been replaced with the wrong part.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:57 AM   #7

THOR #17745
You are correct. I double checked, the batteries will not charge in store mode.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:58 AM   #8

THOR #17745
Thor Video

I found this video from Thor regarding the switch.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #9

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
I read a while ago that:

Hope this helps.
In storage Battery will not take charge because it is a "Disconnect Switch". Battery is out of the loop except for CO, LP detectors and radio memory.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #10

THOR #15553
Quote:
It does matter if you press up or down. One is ON and one is OFF.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
One thing seems certain: something is going on with that switch...
At least the O.P. is getting it to work...
Old 07-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I'm pretty sure mine makes a 'clunk' sound the second time it's pushed...as you've described... but it's a softer 'clunk'
I think what you might be hearing is the solenoid actuator
so when in store mode
press USE the first time, the solenoid actuates the contacts to close the circuit. You hear the clunk of the solenoid actuator + the clunk of the contacts

press USE the second time, the actuator does its thing again in the same direction to close the contacts, but the contacts are already closed. You hear the clunk of the actuator, but you don't hear the contacts closing....so it sounds a bit different.

press store, and you'll hear the actuator go the other direction + you'll hear the contacts opening.

I could have that wrong...it's been a long time since I paid any attention to it... but I'm pretty sure that's what I hear with mine....
Old 07-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it actually sounds as if your LATCHING RELAY is not 'holding' to it's position when you press the switch.

The reason that the switch is not a 'fixed' position switch, like most others, is because this switch is providing only an 'instant' 12v charge to the latching relay, which is all it requires to then 'latch' into that 'Use', or 'Store' position. It does not need 'constant' 12v power, like a light or fan would.

Now, if you are experiencing nuisance issues and the switch does not seem to allow the latching Relay to 'take hold' and maintain it's position that you are switching it to, then more-than-likely it's actually NOT the switch, but the Latching Relay.

One thought is that you really have to have 'GOOD' 12v battery power for the latching relay to maintain it's 'hold' in it's position. Are your house battery(s) Levels looking good? What voltage do you measure them at with a DC Voltmeter?

If they are registering 'good', probably 11amps or higher, the relay should be latching and staying latched in it's position. If that's the case, then you 'might' be looking at the switch as the culprit, though that's probably a rather easy check, and replacement, if so. It could even be something simple, like a loose wire at the switch.

The latching Relay, when you find it, is also a fairly easy replacement.

If you had to, you could find a temporary go-around solution by hardwiring the relay in the 'USE' position while camping, or otherwise while you have some sort of power, even if only a household outlet, or a solar panel wired to the batteries.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #14

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Question

Quote:
I found this video from Thor regarding the switch.

hmmmm...he states that this 'STORE' switch position WILL disengage the Propane Detector, which I've always seemed to believe did NOT, as the detector is a safety/llfe feature that 'always' has power, like the Co2 detector, or a Smoke detector.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:03 AM   #15

THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
(snip)...press USE the first time, the solenoid actuates the contacts to close the circuit. You hear the clunk of the solenoid actuator + the clunk of the contacts

press USE the second time, the actuator does its thing again in the same direction to close the contacts, but the contacts are already closed. You hear the clunk of the actuator, but you don't hear the contacts closing....so it sounds a bit different....
That's the thing, if I press "Use" I hear the solenoid and all the 12V systems work. If I press "Use" again I hear the solenoid and nothing works. It's like the switch doesn't care if you are pressing it up or down (Use or Store), it just keeps changing from activated to deactivated.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:33 AM   #16

THOR #15553
Quote:
That's the thing, if I press "Use" I hear the solenoid and all the 12V systems work. If I press "Use" again I hear the solenoid and nothing works. It's like the switch doesn't care if you are pressing it up or down (Use or Store), it just keeps changing from activated to deactivated.
as long as it connects and disconnects no problem on how you do it.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #17

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
That is the way it is supposed to work! It is a momentary switch.... not a toggle switch.

You press it once and it sends voltage to engage the relay so you have 12V in the coach and so your Converter / Charger can charge the house batteries.

You press it again and it disconnects the house batteries so they can not be drained from something while the coach is in storage.

If you look at your Step and Stepwell Light switch.... you can see they are toggle switches where one way it is "On" and the other way it is "Off" but the Use / Store switch is a momentary switch (even though they have Use on one end of the switch and store on the other end of the switch).
Old 07-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
That is the way it is supposed to work! It is a momentary switch.... not a toggle switch.

You press it once and it sends voltage to engage the relay so you have 12V in the coach and so your Converter / Charger can charge the house batteries.

You press it again and it disconnects the house batteries so they can not be drained from something while the coach is in storage.
Exactly how mine works
Old 07-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:

Actually there are two forms:

Thor's old form was a black switch like the picture at the beginning of the thread. That one operates as follows:
  • Presssing the top for "Use" (when in store) you hear a click, a 2nd press of "Use" you won't hear a click as its already in "Use"
  • Pressing the bottom for "Store" (when in use) you hear a click, a 2nd press of "Store" you won't hear a click as its already in "Store"
In this case it is a double switch. (Our 2014 Axis operates in this manner.)

The new form has a light with a single action:
  • Press once "Use" (the light lights up)
  • Press again "Store" (the light goes out)
(In this case, however, the light may light up when in "Store" and plugged in as the converter will be supplying 12V to the system which is kind of a false positive.)

From the description given it sounds like Thor installed the old switch (or someone did) on the new mechanism.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Jamie,
Do you know when they changed that?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote