Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Were you plugged in when the interior lights worked after you opened the 100 amp circuit breaker? In my Axis nothing works in the coach with the circuit breaker open and not on shore power.
No, not connected to shore power. I also thought that was strange. I think they pretty much hand build these things so they are all a little bit different. Probably not a good thing.

I also tried to start the generator with the 100 amp breaker tripped and the prime light wouldn't even come on. The Axxera radio in the dash was completely dead, but the Jensen in the bedroom still has the screen lit up. Very weird.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
No, not connected to shore power. I also thought that was strange. I think they pretty much hand build these things so they are all a little bit different. Probably not a good thing.

I also tried to start the generator with the 100 amp breaker tripped and the prime light wouldn't even come on. The Axxera radio in the dash was completely dead, but the Jensen in the bedroom still has the screen lit up. Very weird.
My bedroom radio also stayed on when the house batteries are disconnected, so I put an on/off switch on it. Never use it anyway. That 100 amp breaker should disconnect the house batteries from everything... You're right about the hand built, but it's weird that they would hook the house lights to the starting battery. The first time I somehow tripped that breaker and did not know it was there, I still had a few house lights that worked while on shore power or when the engine was running. It's all a learning experience.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:41 AM   #23

State: California
THOR #8073
Smile Clone like issue

This is really weird, JB1911. I have the "exact" same problem as you have described. 2018 Freedom Elite 30FE. even your photos seem identical to our unit. We picked up the coach about 2 weeks ago, but were waiting to take it back as the dash radio had failed during the initial walkthrough. I made the trip back to camping world today to have the radio swapped out. During the last couple of weeks, (as a new RV'r, I was just trying things out as a learning experience). one of the first things I found was that the momentary switch for store / use didn't make any audible "click" when I activated it. I expected to hear something as you have suggested. Anyway, I mentioned this to the service department when I brought the RV in today. Ultimately, they changed the momentary rocker switch. I now hear the expected clicking when activating the rocker. Not saying that this is in any way a solution for you, but I just thought it somewhat (in a weird way) refreshing that someone else was experiencing the same concern that I had.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #24

State: Alabama
THOR #6466
Quote:
I pushed in the blue button and the yellow flag popped out. The house lights still work so they must be powered by the chassis battery. This is not a problem unless you accidentally leave the interior (house) lights on. The good news is that the Axxera radio is totally dead with the yellow flag out. I am sure that this is what was draining the house batteries. I'll leave Arvie (that's what we're calling her) unplugged from shore power for a few days and see if the house batteries are still charged. I love it when people add to the knowledge base.

Check back soon.

JB
I've found through lots of experimentation that I need to make sure the radios are off and nothing is plugged into the USB ports - not even cables with no device connected. If I do that, I'm able to get the house batteries to hold their charge while in "store".
Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #25

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I just checked my 30.1. The use/store switch only works when not plugged in to shore power. Pushing it with the shore power and the lights stay on.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:55 PM   #26
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
I just checked my 30.1. The use/store switch only works when not plugged in to shore power. Pushing it with the shore power and the lights stay on.
It likely (and should) still removes the house batteries from the circuit - but since you are plugged into shore power (or if you were running the genny) - the 12v converter still supplies 12v to the coach...
What you won't be doing is CHARGING the coach batteries since they are out of the circuit.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:39 PM   #27

THOR #1765
Roger. In the Axis, at least, the converter is on the other side of the Use/store switch from the house batteries so it still provides 12v to the house system when plugged in or running the generator. Since the house batteries are on the other side of the Use/store switch the house batteries will not charge when the Use/store is in the store mode. Since the chassis battery is hooked to the house batteries thru the Trombetta, it will not charge either.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #28

THOR #7993
Update:

We took the Vegas in for some warrantied work and they found out that the solenoid was burned out. They replaced it and now everything works as it should. I am a happy camper.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #29

THOR #1765
Quote:
Update:

We took the Vegas in for some warrantied work and they found out that the solenoid was burned out. They replaced it and now everything works as it should. I am a happy camper.
Did they replace the solenoid inside the coach (the Use/store switch) or the Trombetta solenoid in the engine compartment. Unusual for the Trombetta to fail, but there have been multiple reports of the solenoid associated with the Use/store switch failing.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #30

THOR #7993
The one associated with the switch. It's inside the coach near the main service panel.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #31

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I did notice that my Use/Store switch doesn't work when plugged into shore power.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #32

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I did notice that my Use/Store switch doesn't work when plugged into shore power.
Makes sense. The switch disconnects the batteries from most 12 VDC circuits. But the converter will power them when on shore power.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 AM   #33

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Not true. When plugged into shore power, the Use/Store must be in the Use position or the house batteries will not be charged. It seems like the switch doesn't work because your house lights will work with the switch in the store position, but the batteries will not charge.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 PM   #34

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
Smile Use/store switch

I just replaced the 2 house batteries in my 2015 Axis 24.2 with AGM batteries. My use/store switch used to click when I operated the switch and now it doesn't. Does anyone know where the solenoid is located on the 24,2 Axis ?

Thanks in advance. Their is a wealth of information on this site.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:17 AM   #35

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recalculating View Post
I just replaced the 2 house batteries in my 2015 Axis 24.2 with AGM batteries. My use/store switch used to click when I operated the switch and now it doesn't. Does anyone know where the solenoid is located on the 24,2 Axis ?

Thanks in advance. Their is a wealth of information on this site.
Do you have 12v power in the coach when you are not on shire power or generator? If not possibly you tripped the 50 amp breaker on the left hand side of the battery box. If the little flag is showing, push it back in.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:34 AM   #36

THOR #3743
Quote:
Found the solenoid behind a panel next to the service panel. The fuse was blown. Changed the fuse and now I hear the solenoid clicking when the Store switch is activated. The problem still remains. House lights are still on. I made sure the house was not connected to 112v.

Do you have a close up picture of what the solenoid looks like Please ?
Old 07-29-2017, 02:36 AM   #37

THOR #3743
Quote:
Do you have a close up picture of what the solenoid looks like Please ?
And alo what size fuse was it and what type of fuse. Thanks
Old 07-29-2017, 02:46 AM   #38

THOR #3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Do you have 12v power in the coach when you are not on shire power or generator? If not possibly you tripped the 50 amp breaker on the left hand side of the battery box. If the little flag is showing, push it back in.

Yes I have 12v power when plugged into shore power but batteries are not charging
Old 07-29-2017, 04:20 AM   #39

THOR #7993
Quote:
And alo what size fuse was it and what type of fuse. Thanks
It was a 5.5 amp fuse. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #40

THOR #1765
Also check the 50 amp breaker in your battery box. That will cause the same symptoms.