Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Valves and Drains on Axis 24.1

Hi,
I'm confused! Seems to be my new normal while trying learn all of the ins and outs of our new coach. So I'm hopeful someone could clarify the valves located under the bed, next to the fresh water tank. Ed has a helpful picture on page 19 , figure 6 of the Thor Axis/Vegas document he put together.

My first question is how many low point drains are there? The question came up while sanitizing my fresh water tank. I called Thor CS and asked how many low point drains there were and he said there was only 1. In fact, I opened the valve coming from the tank through the bottom of the floor and the tank did drain. (#1 in Ed's figure 6) Then I noticed that there are two other valves attached to a red and a blue pipe too (#2 & #3 in Ed's figure 6) that appear to exit the coach floor. What do these valves do if not drain?

I understand the remaining valve in Ed's diagram (#4) controls the water from the fresh water tank to the water pump.

So now I have a squeaky clean fresh water tank and am getting ready to fill it. Should valves 2&3 be closed?

We are looking forward to our first camping trip with the new coach this weekend!
Thanks

Old 05-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #2

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce View Post
Hi,
I'm confused! Seems to be my new normal while trying learn all of the ins and outs of our new coach. So I'm hopeful someone could clarify the valves located under the bed, next to the fresh water tank. Ed has a helpful picture on page 19 , figure 6 of the Thor Axis/Vegas document he put together.

My first question is how many low point drains are there? The question came up while sanitizing my fresh water tank. I called Thor CS and asked how many low point drains there were and he said there was only 1. In fact, I opened the valve coming from the tank through the bottom of the floor and the tank did drain. (#1 in Ed's figure 6) Then I noticed that there are two other valves attached to a red and a blue pipe too (#2 & #3 in Ed's figure 6) that appear to exit the coach floor. What do these valves do if not drain?

I understand the remaining valve in Ed's diagram (#4) controls the water from the fresh water tank to the water pump.

So now I have a squeaky clean fresh water tank and am getting ready to fill it. Should valves 2&3 be closed?

We are looking forward to our first camping trip with the new coach this weekend!
Thanks
1) If your getting ready to fill the fresh water tank then the drain valve for the tank must be closed. ( Goes thru the floor )

2) If there are similar thru the floor drain valves for the Red (hot) and blue (cold) pipes they must be closed as well.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The valve connected to the tank is the tank drain. The two past the pump are, in fact, the low point drains (yes there are two): one for hot and one for cold.

Yes the two valves should be closed, unless you like draining the contents of your water tank on the ground via the pump.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Yes, they should be closed. They are to drain the system when you winterize the RV.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Thank you ! Most helpful comments gentlemen. And no Jamie, I do not care to "dribble as I drive" Ha Ha
Old 05-24-2016, 11:17 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
And I might mention if you are winterizing using compressed air through an adapter screwed into the shore water connection, you would open those hot & cold water low point drains to purge the water from the lines.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote