Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Brand: Jayco
Model: Entegra Vision 31V
State: Florida
THOR #12040
Unhappy Vegas 24.1 rattle

We just picked up our 2018 Vegas 24.1 and it has developed a terrible rattle, in what sounds like the area of the forward slide motor, behind the driver seat. Has anyone else had this problem? Sounds like a metal on metal noise.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
I would also check to see if it is some loose hardware somewhere on the driver's side of the drop down bunk.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Definitely check for loose screws. We have found enough screws to build another VEGAS....
Old 07-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #4

THOR #12040
Thumbs up Bunk rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I would also check to see if it is some loose hardware somewhere on the driver's side of the drop down bunk.
That made me think, I read somewhere that after raising the bunk you should insert the safety pins, then lower the bunk down until it rests on the pins. Maybe it was the loose safety pins rattling. I'll take it out for a test drive and see. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #5

THOR #1249
Sometimes the stick-slip of the seals on the slide as you roll across bumps can make a noise like a knocking just behind the drivers seat. At least mine does now and then depending on the temp.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #12535
My 2016 Axis 24.1 constantly sounds like the slide behind my head is not solidly attached. It shakes and squeals all the time but worst is the terrible jump and thump when going over a small bump in the road. Is there some way to secure the slide once it is in to minimize the movement?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #7

THOR #12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Definitely check for loose screws. We have found enough screws to build another VEGAS....
Man - you aren't kidding.
  • Windshield washer fluid tank bolts - should have 4 bolts - only two installed both only finger tight

Front bumper - bolts loose - each side

Rear bumper - one bolt loose

AC Input on exterior - two screws loose, sloppy install - two screws missed the mark completely. Also needed to be sealed with silicone

Drawer glides - oh my god, every glide had only one loose screw in the rear, they were also not level - glides had to be remounted on two drawers - they were crooked. Also had to add additional wood support to accept three screws in the rear. Really sloppy stuff. (This eliminated a ton of rattles)

Door threshold - screws loose (one missed the mark entirely). Threshold also needed additional wood underneath to support it - was flexing badly when you stepped on it.

Whomever Thor has installing screws on coaches should be fired. Talk about sloppy Homer Simpson level work. Try using a ruler and square.

You should also replace the crimped wire connectors used to connect side marker lights in front and rear; Thor uses open ended butt connector - great for allowing water in the connection. Use connectors that are watertight.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #8

THOR #12040
Slide Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wall-e View Post
My 2016 Axis 24.1 constantly sounds like the slide behind my head is not solidly attached. It shakes and squeals all the time but worst is the terrible jump and thump when going over a small bump in the road. Is there some way to secure the slide once it is in to minimize the movement?
I finally solved the rattle, in my Vegas 24.1, by installing a slide lock on the wall behind the driver seat. It stops the slide from shaking.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
Good to know. Can you post a picture of your particular install? Same coach here.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFoust View Post
I finally solved the rattle, in my Vegas 24.1, by installing a slide lock on the wall behind the driver seat. It stops the slide from shaking.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just be careful to remove it before extending the slide and don't tighten it too much because it will tear apart that portion of the slide eventually.l
Old 09-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #11

THOR #12040
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
Good to know. Can you post a picture of your particular install? Same coach here.
I always install it at the metal "L" bracket (left side in the picture) so that it does not push the slide trim off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180925_084229.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	13070  
Old 09-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
Thanks, I understand now
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:07 AM   #13

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #11919
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Just be careful to remove it before extending the slide and don't tighten it too much because it will tear apart that portion of the slide eventually.l

Good to know. My dealer attributed the “knocking” sound to the multiple pieces of fascia and trim on the slide moving/creaking/groaning. Like the idea of the slide lock. Thanks, makes sense.