Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2016, 01:18 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #4179
Vegas 24.2 Axxera AV614BH Radio

I have a Vegas 24.2 with an Axxera model AV614BH radio. I also have three Seiki TVs. When I play a DVDs on the radio, the movie plays and displays on the radio screen but I have no clue if it should be playing on one or any of TVs, which I am thinking it should. Any thoughts? Using the Mode button on the radio, there is an "AV Front" and an "AV Rear" mode, but both show "No Signal" when selected. There is also a camera mode which is my backup camera, so I figure the two AV modes are not associated with any camera.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by UX108 View Post
I have a Vegas 24.2 with an Axxera model AV614BH radio. I also have three Seiki TVs. When I play a DVDs on the radio, the movie plays and displays on the radio screen but I have no clue if it should be playing on one or any of TVs, which I am thinking it should. Any thoughts? Using the Mode button on the radio, there is an "AV Front" and an "AV Rear" mode, but both show "No Signal" when selected. There is also a camera mode which is my backup camera, so I figure the two AV modes are not associated with any camera.
We gave a 24,1 and we were wondering the same thing. I found from checking the unit and with comments from other 24 owners that the Axxera radio is not connected to any tv in my coach. It can be done and some people have done so successfully...we decided to rotate our dvd/blu ray player to whichever tv we wish to use. Others on the forum will give you some good advice.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:33 AM   #3

THOR #3845
I haven't tried a dvd yet, but might the connection from radio to tv require toggling the cable/air button in storage over the back tv in your 24.2?
Old 05-25-2016, 01:34 AM   #4
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by UX108 View Post
We have a 24.1 ... good luck with that !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:38 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splurge
I haven't tried a dvd yet, but might the connection from radio to tv require toggling the cable/air button in storage over the back tv in your 24.2?
Not really: None of the radios has a channel modulator in it to send the signal over the internal coax cable in the camper.

The people that have connected the front radio to the TVs have used a long HDMI cable.

DVD players are so cheap these days you could pick one up cheaper than the long HDMI cable! Of course I'd go a little more extensive with a "camper PC", plus a WiFi base station, plus, plus, plus So far I haven't since we already have about a dozen PCs lying around here at home...meh whats one more?? LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:51 AM   #6

THOR #3845
Dah, I knew that. Read that elsewhere but, alas, slipped my mind. Just couldn't imagine running cable. I concur on DVD player idea. The hdmi cables are just waiting for that addition.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:00 AM   #7

THOR #4179
I tried the button (only on and off) above the rear tv and also tried all tv sources (AV, HDMI 1,2 and 3, Vga) and still no luck. I had never noticed the button there before, does anyone know what it does?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:18 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
UX108,

Last year I wanted to run the TV's off the DVD. The problem is that the TV's are not hooked up to the DVD. You have to pull the Radio, find the two sets of RCA plugs that come out of the back of Radio (they are just lying there doing nothing) and then get some real long RCA cables to run to the plugs on the underside of the TV's (if you take a flashlight and stand on the bottom stair and look up at the bottom edge of the TV over the door you will see the RCA jacks you need to plug into).

Getting the cables to inside TV is pretty simple but getting them to the outside TV takes a bit of doing (for me: removed the Microwave, drilled a hole in the false wall next to the fridge - be careful...lots of wires in there, fished the cable down inside the wall then drilled another hole at the level of the bottom drawer - after taking the drawers under the range out, passed the cable behind the range over to the hole that leads to the back side of the outside TV).

Problem is that you will not get Hi Def out of the DVD player in the dash thru the RCA plugs and (on my Axxera Radio) there are no HDMI out jacks only the one input jack on the front for "mirroring".

So, either go with the lower resolution or get a Blu-ray, a powered HDMI splitter, mount them on the top shelf over the sink (in the Vegas/Axis there are a couple of 110V plugs available up there) and run the HDMI cables to the two TV's. You will have to figure which HDMI setting on the TV goes with which HDMI input jack that you plug into (our Seiki's have two HDMI jacks which is why it shows two HDMI sources on the TV screen options) .

Looking at doing all that work I opted to make an "Infotainment Center" by adding a fanless mini-computer, used a Blu-ray for an external drive and to double so as to play movies, a wireless keyboard and now I have a computer on either the outside or inside TV as a monitor. Never could figure out how to run an HDMI cable to the back bedroom with out drilling holes in the floor (DW says no to drilling holes to the outside of the RV).

I posted all the electronics I used to do this on another thread this Forum last year.

Presently finishing setting up a WiFi using external antenna to the fanless computer and then thru a router.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:39 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If you go the HDMI splitter route invest the money and get a True Matrix splitter/switch. That way multiple TVs can watch different input devices at the same time. A true matrix will run about 160.00. My next AV purchase will include a true matrix with a smarter Blu Ray player than the one I am currently using.

Here is the link for a true matrix switch.

4X4 True Matrix HDMI® Powered Switch with Remote Control (Rev. 3.0) - Monoprice.com
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:58 AM   #10

THOR #4179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
UX108,

Last year I wanted to run the TV's off the DVD. The problem is that the TV's are not hooked up to the DVD. You have to pull the Radio, find the two sets of RCA plugs that come out of the back of Radio (they are just lying there doing nothing) and then get some real long RCA cables to run to the plugs on the underside of the TV's (if you take a flashlight and stand on the bottom stair and look up at the bottom edge of the TV over the door you will see the RCA jacks you need to plug into).

Getting the cables to inside TV is pretty simple but getting them to the outside TV takes a bit of doing (for me: removed the Microwave, drilled a hole in the false wall next to the fridge - be careful...lots of wires in there, fished the cable down inside the wall then drilled another hole at the level of the bottom drawer - after taking the drawers under the range out, passed the cable behind the range over to the hole that leads to the back side of the outside TV).

Problem is that you will not get Hi Def out of the DVD player in the dash thru the RCA plugs and (on my Axxera Radio) there are no HDMI out jacks only the one input jack on the front for "mirroring".

So, either go with the lower resolution or get a Blu-ray, a powered HDMI splitter, mount them on the top shelf over the sink (in the Vegas/Axis there are a couple of 110V plugs available up there) and run the HDMI cables to the two TV's. You will have to figure which HDMI setting on the TV goes with which HDMI input jack that you plug into (our Seiki's have two HDMI jacks which is why it shows two HDMI sources on the TV screen options) .

Looking at doing all that work I opted to make an "Infotainment Center" by adding a fanless mini-computer, used a Blu-ray for an external drive and to double so as to play movies, a wireless keyboard and now I have a computer on either the outside or inside TV as a monitor. Never could figure out how to run an HDMI cable to the back bedroom with out drilling holes in the floor (DW says no to drilling holes to the outside of the RV).

I posted all the electronics I used to do this on another thread this Forum last year.

Presently finishing setting up a WiFi using external antenna to the fanless computer and then thru a router.

Doc
In the compartment directly below my outside tv there are RCA and an HDMI jack; however, the tv plugs into an electrical outlet inside the tv's compartment but it appears there is no power to the outlet. The tv will not turn on. I have checked the fuse box switches and they are all turned on. Any thoughts on this issue?
Old 05-25-2016, 03:15 AM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
As I said on another post... I would make the whole thing simple. Buy a couple of small DVD players at Costco and use the provided HDMI cables that are already in place in the cabinets for the inside flat screens. The Samsung players I have also are wi-fi and in the right location you can login to your Netflix, etc. Much simpler and no extra cables to run.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:20 AM   #12

THOR #4179
Vegas outside TV

My outside tv is plugged into an outlet inside the same compartment and all the switches in the fuse box are on but the tv won't come on. Any ideas on this issue?
Old 05-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
UX108,

Do you have one or two storage bays below the outside TV?

I have the same electronic box (for hookup to x-box and the like) in the second lower outside storage.

If you wedge your upper body under the RV right below the storage bay and shine a light up behind the box you will see a gaping hole where all the power and wires enter the box (I used Gorilia Duct Tape to close the hole to avoid having water, salt etc splashed up into and on the electronics). Check there to see if something is loose or if it is corroded (picture one shows the view, picture two taken by extending camera up to the hole and taking a picture).

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1464171071
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1464171071

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewfrombelow.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	2074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Closeupview.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	2075  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Given Thor's wonderful quality it is possible the outlet isn't wired! Note: Our 24.1 doesn't have an outside TV but that didn't stop Thor from wiring up the outlet for it--I found it lying on the floor when I removed the kitchen drawers.

Since you have a 24.2 your wiring will be a bit different from everyone's descriptions above (most of the descriptions are for a 24.1). I'd try to trace the power wiring from the outside TV to the breaker box. You'll probably find the issue along the way.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote