Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Vegas 25.2 Fresh Water Issue

For the last couple of weeks, my fresh water tank is slowly filling when I am connected to the city water connection. I got the fresh water schematic from Thor. But I can't seem to see where there is an anti-siphon valve between the two water inputs. Any ideas?

Old 04-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Turn off the city water, and run the pump a little bit. It is likely you have some debris stuck in the pump--the pump is where the valve is.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Had exactly that problem with my Vegas 24.1. Debris was caught in the check valve in the water pump. This check valve allows water to flow one-way through the pump (from the fresh water tank to the cold water line) when working properly.

The debris allowed the check valve to be open partway, and when I turned on the city water, instead of meeting a closed check valve in the water pump, the valve allowed water to flow from the cold water line in reverse through the check valve, the water pump, and into the fresh water tank.

Like Jamie said -- I turned off city water, turned on the pump and opened the cold water valves on my bathroom vanity and sink. Ran the water for about a minute or so using the pump. Closed the vanity and sink faucets. Turned off water pump. Turned city water back on and no water was back flowing into the fresh water tank.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:16 PM   #4

THOR #2271
Thanks all. I've done as you suggested. I'll know more by tomorrow morning.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:59 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Okay, went on a trip for the weekend, hooked up to city water with the fresh water tank near empty when we arrived. Morning time... water had come out the filler overflow and the fresh water tank was full. It also seems like the water pump kicks on for 1 to 2 seconds every 10-20 minutes with no valves on. I get the issue of the debris and the check valve but after owning this rig for almost a year and a half already, using a water filter, I am suspicious of the water pump.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:10 AM   #6

THOR #2271
BTW - Thanks all. It worked as you described. It's why I love this forum.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:49 AM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Okay, went on a trip for the weekend, hooked up to city water with the fresh water tank near empty when we arrived. Morning time... water had come out the filler overflow and the fresh water tank was full. It also seems like the water pump kicks on for 1 to 2 seconds every 10-20 minutes with no valves on. I get the issue of the debris and the check valve but after owning this rig for almost a year and a half already, using a water filter, I am suspicious of the water pump.
I took a hard look at the ShurFlo water pump and the clear plastic water filter the other day. The filter was absolutely loaded with both black and white plastic shavings from where Thor drilled out the fittings. I'll attach some pictures soon as I can. I drained the water tank and then used the shop vac to vacuum out the shavings that were in the lower end of the water filter. Have not filled the water tank and run the water pump yet but will let you know. This is a minor item but again, Thor needs to not assume that every owner wants or knows how to putter with these systems. They should have done a bit more in the area of quality control.