Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
I see 2019 Axis' getting generator door vents.

Are we pre-2019 Axis owners to expect a recall notice, or door/vent assemblies in the near future, since most on here have complained about these gens running hot due to lack of proper ventilation?

Old 11-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I am going to add one. When parked we lesve door open during use.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've seen complains on the forums here about generators shutting down due to heat but in almost all cases it wasn't with an Axis or Vegas unit.

Perhaps your 25.2 has the generator mounted somewhere that gets hot. On our 24.1 (and all 24.1's) the generator is as far back as you can get on the driver's side. No heat issues at all.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:48 AM   #4

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I am going to add one. When parked we lesve door open during use.
I leave my door open as well. Just gets to be a PITA. Was going to add my own vent, but WTF should we? After spending THOUSANDS in suspension mods to make it a somewhat safer on the road, they better send me what they are using. They OBVIOUSLY read these forums (and should read mine from post #1 on) if they want to get ANY sliver of brand respect back by addressing common sense mistakes (no generator vent) and overall VERY POOR QC. JMHO
Old 11-27-2019, 01:50 AM   #5

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I've seen complains on the forums here about generators shutting down due to heat but in almost all cases it wasn't with an Axis or Vegas unit.

Perhaps your 25.2 has the generator mounted somewhere that gets hot. On our 24.1 (and all 24.1's) the generator is as far back as you can get on the driver's side. No heat issues at all.
I've read of several AXIS owners compaining of the ONAN air intake being within a couple inches from their generator door.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:09 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post
I've read of several AXIS owners compaining of the ONAN air intake being within a couple inches from their generator door.
That's the case withe every Onan installation in all RVs.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No it's not. My Challenger never had a generator air intake and never once got hot, overheated or shut down due to being hot and/or overheated.

The class c we had before the Challenger never had a vent and the generator never shut down due to overheating. The current Accolade has an Onan diesel generator and does not have a vent and has not shut down due to overheating.

As to vents, if the manufacturer installs the generator with the clearances required by Onan it is not their issue and the problem becomes one of Onan.

I request that you quit firing shotgun blasts such as "every installation" and "in all RVs" unless you have witnessed every installation or owned all Rvs.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I look at adding vent as an enhancement, not a requirement.

My generator stopped due to overheat once when I backed over tall swale. No big issue, we were learning. Out of curiosity, I looked at mark we leave on grass when generator running. Then did a test with door open much less of a mark in same run time.

What we have works fine, adding a vent appears to improve cooling when unit idle.

Seeing same model (24.1) now produced with vent tells me factory engineers came to same conclusion.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Adding a vent to the door is probably a whole lot more productive, than waiting for a recall from the Mother Ship...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #10

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Adding a vent to the door is probably a whole lot more productive, than waiting for a recall from the Mother Ship...
Right on Bob. With that, how about some pics and details on some of those vent installs.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
No it's not. My Challenger never had a generator air intake and never once got hot, overheated or shut down due to being hot and/or overheated.

The class c we had before the Challenger never had a vent and the generator never shut down due to overheating. The current Accolade has an Onan diesel generator and does not have a vent and has not shut down due to overheating.

As to vents, if the manufacturer installs the generator with the clearances required by Onan it is not their issue and the problem becomes one of Onan.

I request that you quit firing shotgun blasts such as "every installation" and "in all RVs" unless you have witnessed every installation or owned all Rvs.
I didn't say there was a vent in the door. I said the air intake is within a few inches of the door - which it is. Open the access door and look at the generator's air intake - it is within a few inches of the door and 95% of people have no problem with the generator overheating.

Most of the overheating problems are with generators mounted closer to the engine and just behind the front tires where the Onan basks in the heat from those items.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #12

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Funny... My toyhauler has a metal vented door. If space is restricting cool air, it needs to be vented... Simple. If Thor is now installing vents, there's a reason. We all know how cheap they are.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #13

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
True, but how many thousands of dollars need to be spent by the consumer to make this AXIS a "safe" vehicle? They will be sending me a vent.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #14
Jeg

Model: ACE 29.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #17439
Hello RV'ers out there...I'm a newbie to the RV world and recently purchased a ACE 29.4 and I've read in the owners manual not to sleep in the coach with the generator running due to possible monoxide poisioning...so, how does a person keep warm during these chilly nights without using the generator to run the house heater...Any comments or suggestions on this...?
Old 11-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #15

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post

Nor is it the case in my DRV fifth wheel. 'Every' and 'all' just doesn't work most of the time, as does 'Never'
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg View Post
Hello RV'ers out there...I'm a newbie to the RV world and recently purchased a ACE 29.4 and I've read in the owners manual not to sleep in the coach with the generator running due to possible monoxide poisioning...so, how does a person keep warm during these chilly nights without using the generator to run the house heater...Any comments or suggestions on this...?
The furnace runs off of 12V (and propane) and doesn't really need the genny to run. Depending on outside temps, however, it may run down the 12V batteries pretty good (e.g. if it runs more it will use up more battery). So in the morning you'll need to run the engine or genny to replenish them.

We have frequently run the furnace overnight at rest stops to keep warm without requiring the genny (now in the summer its different: you do need the genny to run the A/C but then how is that different from the truckers letting their trucks idle overnight at the same rest stops?).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:44 AM   #17

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
Are we pre-2019 Axis owners to expect a recall notice, or door/vent assemblies in the near future, since most on here have complained about these gens running hot due to lack of proper ventilation?
That might just be for cosmetic purposes. Your generator compartment should be open at the bottom (as in no floor)…….plenty of airflow.

But if it makes you feel better any good body shop can put vents in the door for you or just buy the new style door.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
I've never had a shut down of the genny, however, I rarely use the thing, it's so noisy, I can't imagine what a campground is like for you guys with all you're genny's running in the evenning.... That is why I can only say good things about solar, 2 x 100w solar panels charging 2 x 110ah batteries and a 2000w inverter are plenty for lights and tv's, if we need more (hairdryer, toaster et ) then I just run the engine. Soooo peaceful....
Old 12-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #19

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Those vents look like somewhere along the road they fell off of a 1962 Conestoga, were found and installed with No thought or presence and cut in as a severe afterthought.

At 111° in the Mohave desert I haven't had a single overheat problem on my 24.1
I doubt the doors are much different than any other door placement on any other rv.

I think it might be a needless worry about vented or not unless someone comes up with some real life first person stories of overheating not caused by blocking the lower vent.

Someone really concerned would remove the entire door lest mesh wire deflect some air flow.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
True, but how many thousands of dollars need to be spent by the consumer to make this AXIS a "safe" vehicle? They will be sending me a vent.
... Just in time for Christmas: I hope!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote