Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2018, 03:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Tire recommendation

I don't need them now, but was looking at tires for my coach, size is 245/70R19.5. I know Michelin is highly touted and I had good results with Goodyear on my old class c. I have also had good results with 'house' brand tires from Discount Tire on my daily use pick up. What do most people use and why?

Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Lots of opinions will soon flow your direction but the one and most important part of this choice is...do not shop by price! Find the tires that you feel will best support your needs and driving posture and pay the price.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Everyone has an opinion... Another consideration when you are buying is, will I be able to find a replacement if needed when traveling? My last coach had 19.5 Goodyear tires. When it was almost time to replace them, I had two separate blow outs in two states. Both times, my road service accessed them easily to replace them. For that reason, I'll stick with Mich or GYr. JMHO.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #4

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Asking for tire recommendations is like asking people to recommend a brand of beer. BTW, I like Michelin and Corona.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Check and see if a Toyo HT is available in your size.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #6

THOR #11130
Toyo fan here!! Great, strong tires!!
Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 37.4
THOR #7274
just replaced all 6 22s on my outlaw...went with Michilen XRV... a little more but with FMCA discount I'm confident in the purchase...
Old 08-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Toyo's go on tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I don't need them now, but was looking at tires for my coach, size is 245/70R19.5. I know Michelin is highly touted and I had good results with Goodyear on my old class c. I have also had good results with 'house' brand tires from Discount Tire on my daily use pick up. What do most people use and why?
I have arranged for Toyo M154's to be installed tomorrow. Same 245/70R/19.5 size as you are inquiring about-- I'll let you know how it goes. Our ACE came with Goodyear's but I've noticed more wear than I expected. Always used Michelin tires in the past, but have noticed they tended to sidewall crack more than others. Multiple recommendations and good reviews led me to choose Toyo this time. Less expensive than Michelin even with the FMCA discount. We will see.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #9

Model: Ace 29.3
THOR #11580
How do you like your Toyo's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
I have arranged for Toyo M154's to be installed tomorrow. Same 245/70R/19.5 size as you are inquiring about-- I'll let you know how it goes. Our ACE came with Goodyear's but I've noticed more wear than I expected. Always used Michelin tires in the past, but have noticed they tended to sidewall crack more than others. Multiple recommendations and good reviews led me to choose Toyo this time. Less expensive than Michelin even with the FMCA discount. We will see.
Hi, I saw your post about purchasing Toyo's. How do you like them so far?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #10

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Toyo Report: NEVER AGAIN

The Toyo's are stiffer than the OEM Goodyear's, but they are not showing premature wear like I also had on my OEM tires, or cracking like I had in Michelins. After this week ( I am at the end of a 4 week national adventure) we will have put ~8,000 miles on them since they were installed. BUT, and this is the NEVER EVER AGAIN part, my tires smell like a sewer. Really. I called Toyo before I purchased them, and the fact that they suphurize their commercial tires never came up. Apparently not all Toyo tires stink, but Toyo was nonchalant when I called them about the smell. It could go away with time, or not. That was what I was told. There was nothing I could do to reduce the off gasing. So far I am in the not category, so if you like your campsite smelling like someone dumped out all the doggy poopy scoop bags under your RV, go for the Toyos.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #11

THOR #11130
With that said, Continental is who I'll go with when the need develops. That's the OEM for the F550...seems to run out an wear very well.