Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2023, 11:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Vegas bathroom faucet has air in lines

Our 2016 Vegas has air in the bathroom faucet, but only the bathroom. Kitchen and all other faucets are running fine. It also seems like the water pump is taking a little longer to restore pressure after running water or flushing. Water tank is down to a 1/3 but dont ever remember this happening in the past.

Checked for leaks and loose connections and all seems good. Any ideas on where to focus our trouble shooting skills?

Old 06-09-2023, 12:15 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
How did you determine there’s air in the lines? Spittin & sputterin?
Old 06-09-2023, 12:29 AM   #3

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
How did you determine there’s air in the lines? Spittin & sputterin?
Thats it! Same activity that happens when you first fill the system with water.

This happened at the beginning of this year, but cleared and appeared normal until we hit the road.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:50 AM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
the only time I can remember where I was getting air into the lines, it was because the clear plastic threaded cap for the suction side pump strainer had a hairline crack form being over tightened. In fact I discovered this on my very first night after buying the thing new! Anyway, the crack was basically invisible when the cap was loose/off.

What does happen to my shower lines is that it takes a really long time for air to work its way out...say after dewinterizing for example.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:24 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Another off the wall suggestion is possibly one of your low point drains has a slow leak? Is the sputtering in BOTH hot and cold, or just one?

One of mine developed a slow drip, so I added pex quarter turn valves under the coach. It would have been a royal pain replacing the little T-handle valves... just too tight of an area to work in... and I didn't want to put the SAME valves back in there and have the same issue a year from now.

I knew it was sucking air somewhere because the pump would randomly cycle every so often. I had sputtering downstream of the low point valves in the bathroom, but the kitchen seemed fine - no sputtering.

The valves fixed it.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:55 PM   #6

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Thats it! Same activity that happens when you first fill the system with water.

This happened at the beginning of this year, but cleared and appeared normal until we hit the road.
So this is happening only when using your pump with onboard water? How does it perform when hooked up to a city water supply not using the pump?
Old 06-10-2023, 12:53 AM   #7

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
So this is happening only when using your pump with onboard water? How does it perform when hooked up to a city water supply not using the pump?
I am going to test with "city water" this weekend. This started happening while camping last weekend on water tank/water pump.

I visually checked most of the piping for leaks with nothing found. What was confusing me was both hot and cold were having the issues. but only in the bathroom...
Old 06-10-2023, 01:22 AM   #8

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
So hot and cold water sputtering at bathroom tap only, but all other taps in the coach are fine. So the water pump is likely priming OK. Something common to hot and cold lines to the bathroom taps. I don’t think you have any slides in your coach......so likely no crushed/flexed water lines feeding that tap only. The only other thought is the tap spout filter may have debris inside that is causing your strange flow for both hot and cold? Just a WAG.
If yes, then city water will also sputter.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:22 PM   #9

THOR #4687
Thanks for all the replies and support..

I had checked the actual water lines for leaks and tight fittings, however, until I started reading your replies I hadn't thought of the "anti-freeze fill nozzle" which is also on the fill side of the pump (as you all mentioned).

That was the issue, I hadn't fully tightened the plug on the fill nozzle and apparently, it was sucking air into the pump. Connecting to city water was fine (of course) so that pointed to the pump introducing the air into the system.

Thank you all
Old 06-13-2023, 03:35 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Thanks for all the replies and support..

I had checked the actual water lines for leaks and tight fittings, however, until I started reading your replies I hadn't thought of the "anti-freeze fill nozzle" which is also on the fill side of the pump (as you all mentioned).

That was the issue, I hadn't fully tightened the plug on the fill nozzle and apparently, it was sucking air into the pump. Connecting to city water was fine (of course) so that pointed to the pump introducing the air into the system.

Thank you all
Strange you only saw thw symptom on the bathroom faucet.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:37 PM   #11

THOR #17765
Thanks for sharing the fix