Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I just had my 2015 Vegas washed and waxed. The worker showed me that the whole driver's side is very oxidized. It will take a serious body shop buffer and re-coating to get it back. Since I am on the road permanently, this will be difficult to do.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #22

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I just had my 2015 Vegas washed and waxed. The worker showed me that the whole driver's side is very oxidized. It will take a serious body shop buffer and re-coating to get it back. Since I am on the road permanently, this will be difficult to do.
I would stay away from recoating such a new RV, without first trying to remove the oxidation. You can do it a little at at time, or buy an inexpensive buffer and do it at one of your campsites. Just sayin
Old 09-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
What it the best way to was the front cap of a VEGAS/AXIS?

I can reach all except for the center of the front/top from the sides on a 8 foot ladder but haven't been able to reach the last 8 " in the middle.

Tried to come in from the front but not even close....

Just wondered how you other AXIS/VEGAS owners accomplish this superhuman feat?
Old 09-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #24

THOR #1971
I get that center from the roof.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #25

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog View Post
I get that center from the roof.
Haven't actually been "on the roof" yet. Any issues with being up there?

With a 25.2 you don't have the rear ladder.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #26

THOR #1971
Didn't know you didn't have a rear ladder. Not too much of a problem once you are up there. Plenty of room to walk around. When you get to the front to work on the cap it gets a little dicey as you will be leaning out over the curved cap to get down to the windshield. Would definitely do the bottom first and leave the top of the curve unfinished while you may have to rest your hand on it to reach farther down. Slippery slope is almost always a bad thing.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #27

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog View Post
Didn't know you didn't have a rear ladder. Not too much of a problem once you are up there. Plenty of room to walk around. When you get to the front to work on the cap it gets a little dicey as you will be leaning out over the curved cap to get down to the windshield. Would definitely do the bottom first and leave the top of the curve unfinished while you may have to rest your hand on it to reach farther down. Slippery slope is almost always a bad thing.
For anyone else who has a 25.2, or a MH without a ladder, where is the best place to lean a ladder to climb up there?

Read that as " where can you lean a ladder with the least chance of damaging the VEGAS or myself...
Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #28

THOR #8654
Vegas Finish Restored

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long delay in updating what I have done for the finish on my AXIS.

I used Meguiars Marine RV 49 oxidation remover and Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax. I purchased them both from Walmart online and pickup in store. The products along with my slow speed buffer and lots of hours in the Florida Heat, I managed to get the finish looking pretty good. I am not attaching pictures as they would just show a nice finish.

I had to go over some areas many times to get the look that I wanted, but I wanted a new starting point. I can see already that this is going to be an ongoing thing keeping the finish up to par on the Axis, but if I ever want to sell, it will be at least acceptable to a buyer.

Capt Randy
Old 11-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by captrandy View Post
Hi Guys, just an update as to where I am at with the finish on my Axis and the problem with the chrome plating peeling off my mirrors.

I went to the manufacturer of Poli Glow and talked with the gentleman about my finish. He recommended I first try their Poli OX scrub to remove any oxidation, before I just jumped into his Poli Glow. He gave me a sample to try and wow, it made a huge difference in the finish. I first applied it with the scrubber he gave me and then rinsed and dried. Still some hazing, so I applied the product again. This time almost all oxidation has disappeared. Now it will just need a good wax.

I also purchased McGuiar's Marine-RV Oxidation Remover to give it a try also.

I have to bring my RV home to my driveway, so I have access to water for rinsing. I am pretty confident that between these two products, I can get my RV finish back to looking good again. I will post pics when I get started.

As far as the mirrors go, Velvac is replacing both mirror mounts for me. That's a good company that stands behind their product.

Thanks for the heads up on the manufacturer of the mirrors.

Too bad Thor couldn't have recommended an oxidation remover.

Randy
Glad to hear that you've found a workable solution!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #30

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
captrandy,
Why did you decide to not use the poliglow product?
Old 11-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #31

THOR #8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
captrandy,
Why did you decide to not use the poliglow product?
When I spoke with a guy at POLIGLOW in Fort Pierce, he recommended that I first try the oxidation remover, then a good wax.

I am sure the POLIGLOW product is great ad I would use it if my method did not work.

Capt Randy
Old 11-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's usually a good idea to not lead with your strongest suit anyway...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #33

THOR #8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by captrandy View Post
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long delay in updating what I have done for the finish on my AXIS.

I used Meguiars Marine RV 49 oxidation remover and Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax. I purchased them both from Walmart online and pickup in store. The products along with my slow speed buffer and lots of hours in the Florida Heat, I managed to get the finish looking pretty good. I am not attaching pictures as they would just show a nice finish.

I had to go over some areas many times to get the look that I wanted, but I wanted a new starting point. I can see already that this is going to be an ongoing thing keeping the finish up to par on the Axis, but if I ever want to sell, it will be at least acceptable to a buyer.

Capt Randy

OK, Again sorry for the long delay in posting on this subject.

I did do all the hard work of using scrubbers with oxidation removers and the best wax money could buy. The results were ok at best, but not back to looking like new or even where it should be on a two year old RV.

So after about 3-4 months after all that work, the finish is back to looking bad again. So if I had to keep doing all that work and I mean it was a LOT of work every 3 months, I would sell this Axis.

So now I just purchased the PoliGlow products and will begin the stripping of the wax and the application of the Poliglow.

I am hoping for a better outcome with less work and also longer lasting than the wax route.

I will post some before and after pictures of the worst areas on the RV as soon as I can get to it. That will be very soon, as the weather here in Florida will soon turn too hot to work outside.

The people at Poliglow are great to work with and I was talking to them about the Axis finish. They were just at the Tampa RV show looking at Thor products to buy their first RV.

I was able to convince them to stay away from Thor because of the poor finish and Thor not willing to stand behind their product. Thats one sale squashed for Thor. I will keep spreading the word when I can. Lots of people see the RV at campgrounds and ask about it. You can bet I will tell then all about it, and Thor in general.

By the way, on my last trip out with the RV, the windshield cracked due to stress. Not hit by anything, so I was told it due to the shape and stress on the glass. I hate the windshield and now it is cracked also.

UnHappy Camper
Capt. Randy Smith
Old 02-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #34

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I did similarly on my 2016 Axis in the Florida Keys sun. I started with Meguiars Marine RV 49, topped that with a couple of coats of good wax and topped that with Opti-Seal. The Meguiars Marine RV 49 brought back the finish from white and chalky, I hope the wax protects it and the Opti-seal helps protect the finish and adds to the shine. Have to keep at it.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #35

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
The HD Max finish on our MH's is NOT paint. It is similar to molded plastic lawn furniture. The first mistake people make is not realizing that. You never wax plastic. You wash it and that is all. If you read the bottle they all specifically say not to use on plastic. If you get wax on the plastic trim on your car it discolors it. Same as waxing the plastic chrome coating on your mirrors. It heats up in the sun and gets under the plastic and makes it start pealing.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #36

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Anyone else here have experience with the Poli Glow products and care to share?
Old 02-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #37

State: Alaska
THOR #7889
I didn't use that but I worked on golf carts if you use a rag it can scratch the fiberglass finish so I used glass cleaner. it cleaned up fine no scratches 00and no water just some micro fiber cloths
Old 02-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #38

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I've been using Lucas Slick Mist on my cars and now on my Class C and like the way it works on painted, chrome and fiberglass surfaces. Also works good on black molding.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #39
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Last spring I put a coat of Rejex (Amazon) on ours--it really came out nice. The couple of spots on the front where its fading did gloss up a little (the roof of the cab, however, is a lost cause--I'll probably be getting that painted white before too long).
Click image for larger version

Name:	axisrejex1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	8980
Will probably be putting another coat on this spring...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #40

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ve used RejeX on the front cap and I like what it does for making bugs come off. I don’t like it on the windshield though. I think I’ll go back to Rainx for that. For the rest of my coach I use a product called Voom. It’s easy to use and, so far has kept our one year old coach looking fine. RejeX info states that it does not provide UV protection while Voom says it does. I don’t know if it matters or works on UV but figure I might as well try. I found out about Voom a few years ago when buying a travel trailer and asked the dealer about how to care for it. He said he uses Voom on all of his used and new inventory.