Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Vegas Hot Water Heater

Has anyone come up with an easy way to fill the hot water heater in the Vegas with 50% vinegar and 50% water when you want to flush it out?

Old 04-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #1466
You really don't need to flush the water heater. if you live in a cold area where winterization is necessary, just use the water heater bypass and drain it. As for the easiest way to clean the water heater, if you must, is put a cup of bleach into the water tank, run the water pump, operate the shower and sink faucets, flush the toilet. This will sanitize all the water lines, water pump, and water tank. This is all you need. I have rv'd for 45 years with 10 different types of rvs; trailers, class Cs, motorhomes. This is all I did. I always had a good, safe water supply with no problems.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Thanks for the info. I guess I will just leave it alone. We have never had a recorded frost in Key Largo, so I don't have to worry about the cold.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
You are like me, winterizing here is just turn off the AC
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:04 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post
You really don't need to flush the water heater. if you live in a cold area where winterization is necessary, just use the water heater bypass and drain it. As for the easiest way to clean the water heater, if you must, is put a cup of bleach into the water tank, run the water pump, operate the shower and sink faucets, flush the toilet. This will sanitize all the water lines, water pump, and water tank. This is all you need. I have rv'd for 45 years with 10 different types of rvs; trailers, class Cs, motorhomes. This is all I did. I always had a good, safe water supply with no problems.
David,

How much water do you put in your tank with the bleach?

Thanks in advance.

Larry
Old 04-05-2015, 12:55 AM   #6

THOR #1466
how much bleach?

Larry, you don't need much bleach, at all to sanitize the system. At least half a tank, 20-30 gallons or so, use a quarter-cup of bleach. Chlorine is the same as bleach. You can leave it in the tank, it wont hurt anything, and in such low proportions, it is not toxic. You will get a chlorine odor and taste. Just use the low-point drain on the tank, dump whats left, put in fresh H20, and you are good.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:58 AM   #7

THOR #1466
Larry, I meant to say, fill the water tank with 20-30 gallons of WATER, NOT bleach. Add quarter cup of bleach to the 30 gallons of water. Just wanted to clarify.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:09 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
David,

How much water do you put in your tank with the bleach?

Thanks in advance.

Larry
MY owners manual states that you make a mixture of 1/4 cup bleach to one gallon of water. For my 100 gallon tank they recommend 6 1/2 gallons of the mixture. You first put in the 6 1/2 gallons and turn on the pump and run that through all the lines except hot water. After that the fresh water tank is filled and allowed to sit for 3 to 4 hours before draining.

I posted a mod in another thread on a change I made to the tank drain that allows me to sanitize my fresh water hose at the same time as I sanitize the water tank.

Your owners manual should give you the specific instructions for sanitizing your fresh water system.

Recommendations, have the water filter canister empty (no filter) and the water heater by passed when doing the sanitizing. Replace the water filter after the operation is complete.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:28 AM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated!
Old 04-05-2015, 05:32 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
A few months after I bought my Vegas, I had the stinky hot water problem. Apparently a bacteria starts to grow in the hot water system which creates a strong sulfer smell in the hot water system. To get rid of it I drained the heater added 1 cup of bleach to the tank, let it sit for a few hours and then opened the hot and cold water outlets until I drained the tank and refilled it. It is much easier than trying to drain through the low point drain, wherever that is. Got rid of my problem.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:46 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
Added bleach to water tank, not hot water cheater
Old 04-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #12

THOR #1466
That sulphur odor is not harmful at all, just annoying. Just using the system for a bit will evacuate the odor. I had this issue over the years, after winterizing, and just flushed added a little chlorine, good to go. A quarter cup per gallon of water seems like a lot to me. I never needed that much to sanitize. I just leave the chlorine/water mix in the water tank, it will be just fine. But, I do pour some bleach into the fill hose before I hook up to the water supply at the campground, and this sanitizes the hose, as well as your connections. I have a spray bottle of 50/50 water/bleach, that I use to spray the water spigot, and my hose ends as well before I hook up. You never know what the camper before you did to the water supply connection. Its just a safety precaution. Some folks do really dumb things.