Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport J34
State: California
THOR #17915
All ac appliances and outlet not working - Urgent! Please help

Hi,Gurus,
After I changed my house batteries , all my ac appliance and outlet stopped working. I took a picture of the wiring connection before I disconnected the wiring, it is exactly like it was before. no sure what happened, maybe I should have discounted the shore line when I change the batteries?

I did reset all breaks, no use, looks like only the inverter breaker is doing something, when I turned off the inverter breakers, all lights went out.

So what I have right now is if I unplugged the connection to my 50 amp power source, all DC went dead as if I did not have battery connected at all.

if I plugged in the 50 amp power source, only DC was working (lights) , ALL A/C appliances - Microwave, A/C, outlets etc., did not work at all.

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!

I am suppose to go on a 11-day trip today :

Old 06-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Year.... make.... model of your coach?

If you screwed something up changing your house batteries, it would not effect your AC appliances (other than something connected to the Inverter).

DC only powers coach lights, radio, etc. Turning off an Inverter breaker should have no impact on coach lights. Only the Use/Store set in "Store" position would keep the lights from coming on.

What happens when you are on generator power? If you have AC power on your generator, it could be your transfer switch if everything else on the shore power side is ok.

Are you sure you have power at the receptacle where you are plugged into shore power?
Old 06-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #3

THOR #17915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Year.... make.... model of your coach?

If you screwed something up changing your house batteries, it would not effect your AC appliances (other than something connected to the Inverter).

DC only powers coach lights, radio, etc. Turning off an Inverter breaker should have no impact on coach lights. Only the Use/Store set in "Store" position would keep the lights from coming on.

What happens when you are on generator power? If you have AC power on your generator, it could be your transfer switch if everything else on the shore power side is ok.

Are you sure you have power at the receptacle where you are plugged into shore power?
One missing wire causing the DC problem.
Yes, there is power at the receptacle , if I disconnect the batteries, I still have lights one when plugged in, but if I turn the 50 amp breaker off, the lights go out.
The appliance problem still persist.
I am not even able to start the generator...
Old 06-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #4

THOR #17915
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxhc@gmail.com View Post
Yes, there is power at the receptacle , if I disconnect the batteries, I still have lights one when plugged in, but if I turn the 50 amp breaker off, the lights go out.
2017 Windsport J34
Old 06-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
If you can't start the generator then either your wiring to the batteries is wrong or you have tripped the 100 Amp DC breaker to the generator and hydraulic pump.

BUT, this has nothing to do with your AC problem.

Since you have house lights when you plug into SP then it appears your converter is working, but since they go away when you unplug SP then you also have a problem between your house batteries and the 12 VDC buss. That could be a battery wiring problem, the 50 Amp DC breaker to the USE/STORE (battery Disconnect) latching relay, or the latching relay not being closed (In the USE position).

None of your AC appliances will work if they don't have 12 VDC shore power.
None of your receptacles powered by the Inverter will work if there is no 12 VDC going to the Inverter.

If you haven't done anything other than change your house batteries then I would say you need to go back and revisit that wiring. Something as simple as the ground cable not being connected would cause 90% of your described issues.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #6

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
THOR #17449
Sure sounds as if the issue is at the batteries,since everything worked before. Go back and review your pictures. Are the positive connections at the positive post and the negative at the negative. Is it possible you crossed them. Be sure all the grounds are accounted for and are tightly secured. Use a nut and star washer for your connections. No not use wing nuts as they will come loose.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #7

THOR #17915
Thanks for all your help.
Here is what I did to fix it.
1) Tight the nuts on all battery connections
2) instead of push one end to start the generator, push other end for 10 second, I started to see red light on the power indicator, the push to start generator again. and that DID started the generator
3) Tight the 50 amps electric connections , because I park far from the house receptacle, the wire was really stretched. one end connect to RV is not tight enough, so it did pass some electricity to power the RV inverter, but no enough power to power the 110v!!!

ALMOST HAD A HEARTATTACK!!!
Old 06-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxhc@gmail.com View Post
That is because you have no 12 volts. You turn off the 50 amp main breaker which turnoff you converter which was providing 12 volts and charging your battery. The battery disconnect must be in IN USE position. Since you changed the batteries, check the 2 30 amp "Reverse Polarity " fuses on the Converter. Also check the inline resetable 30/50 amp fuse that is within 6" of the battery..

the 50 amp main breaker must be ON. reset it by turning it hard off then hard on.

the only thing stopping the AC voltage is the 50 amp main breaker.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:05 AM   #9

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
Sounds like one of the breakers in the dc power from your batteries has tripped. Mine has two of them. One 100 amp feeds the leveling system the other is a 50 amp and after searching for a couple of days and calling Thor twice (no help) I found it under my bed where the fresh water tank resides.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:56 AM   #10

THOR #15490
You battery connections are wrong it you are running 6 volt batteries make sure they are in series and not parallel with each other. Meaning 1 of the positives from one battery is connected to the negative of the other then the coach of hooked to the far ends of the chain.

Tags
breaker, electricity, outlets