Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Vegas Wall Acne

Looking for a diagnosis from any of you Thor “doctors” out there. I discovered an area of very hard ‘zits’ on the wall of my Vegas. They are a series of little pimples very hard on the interior wall just to the right of the passenger seat about 5” down from the bottom of the window frame. Never noticed them before (this is a 2015 Vegas 24.1 we bought new in Aug 2015. Any ideas? Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB306906-1B18-4F9E-A4FF-29F732919217.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	10407  

Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Below the passenger window? A water leak into the wall.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:39 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I had the same thing happen on my 2014 Vegas. The dealer told me that it was from the window leaking. They put a large bead of silicon around both large side windows and it stopped the problem. When I purchased my 2016 Axis, I did that immediately and have not had that issue.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I would take the trim/compression ring around the window off and look behind there. If its wet let it dry out and then put a bead of sealer in there and re-install the ring.

Thor factory service ended up completely rebuilding the wall under my passenger window. Even after that I found a leak and had to remove the ring and seal it up--hasn't leaked since.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #5

THOR #1765
On mine, the window leaked from the top. So I just filled the space between the top of the window and the side of the coach with silicone. I also put it down the front side of the window so water would not leak in there if you were in a rainstorm while driving. You can’t see it and it stopped the leak. Unfortunate, I did not find any way to fix the “dimples” except to sell it. Someone told me that they thought the water the glue or something inside the wall that the water dissolved and formed small hard nodules. Actually my wife solved the issue by sewing a three pocket rectangular panel the size of the space where the dimples appeared and putting it up with plastic hooks. It gives you three blue jean pockets to store stuff in. I liked it so much we moved them to our new Axis, even though we did not have that issue.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

THOR #1249
I was over at the RV lot sealing up some leaks on the slide a little while ago. So after finishing up one leak problem, I decided to check on the panels below driver and passenger side window for leaks. I seems what happens to one Axis-Vegas means others are infected.

Sure enough, I have the same leak on the passenger side. The wall feels a little soft about mid way down also. To get that inner frame off the window looks like it may involve lowering the overhead bunk and removing some other stuff up there. Not as straight forward as another window. I am definitely going to have to do something, but will have to work out a plan and time on this one.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention and for the info on fixes.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:52 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
I just found this under my driver side window. Thankfully, I am still in my warranty period but I am not looking forward to the process to get this resolved.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Got this on both walls. Guess I need to check this out closely. Never felt any moisture in the area. Drivers window came with a big gob of sealant over the top of the window.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:24 PM   #9

THOR #1249
Continued from post #6 the plan
I have applied sealant all around the outside of the window where I would guess the water was entering and not thru the track.

That was several days ago and the wall under the window is no longer soft, but did get a little rippled. I plan to remove the screws on the bottom and side of the window frame and see if I can pull the wall covering down without destroying it, to expose whatever lurks under there. I would guess some mold has started and will treat it as needed depending on the damage. Hope I don't have to remove the entire wall covering under the window. If it can't be reused, maybe Thor can send me some that will match.
Next is to have the time.
Good luck to all who have the same problem.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I have applied sealant all around the outside of the window where I would guess the water was entering and not thru the track.

That was several days ago and the wall under the window is no longer soft, but did get a little rippled. I plan to remove the screws on the bottom and side of the window frame and see if I can pull the wall covering down without destroying it, to expose whatever lurks under there. I would guess some mold has started and will treat it as needed depending on the damage. Hope I don't have to remove the entire wall covering under the window. If it can't be reused, maybe Thor can send me some that will match.
When Thor repaired ours I believe they removed the inner paneling besides the covering, let it all dry out (with a fan overnight) and then re-assembled the wall with new materials--there is a new seam if you know where to look; can't see it otherwise. They had "spares" of the wall covering--it is likely you'll have to get a part number from Thor and then order it through a dealer as I don't think they will sell you the wallpaper direct.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #11

State: Ontario
THOR #2441
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post

Also check where the Awning power cable enters the RV. It is routed into the Awning bracket on the passenger side of the motor home. I had a leak and discovered the water would run down the bracket, hit the power cable and right into the RV , it showed up at he bottom of the window. There was no seal where the cable entered the RV. I sealed the entrance hole and voila no more leaks. Took me two years to discover this leak after fixing the normal issues with the poor design and shoddy installation of the driver and passenger windows.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #12

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby View Post
Also check where the Awning power cable enters the RV. It is routed into the Awning bracket on the passenger side of the motor home. I had a leak and discovered the water would run down the bracket, hit the power cable and right into the RV , it showed up at he bottom of the window. There was no seal where the cable entered the RV. I sealed the entrance hole and voila no more leaks. Took me two years to discover this leak after fixing the normal issues with the poor design and shoddy installation of the driver and passenger windows.
Thanks for the heads up on that one. I will give it a check.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #13

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
When Thor repaired ours I believe they removed the inner paneling besides the covering, let it all dry out (with a fan overnight) and then re-assembled the wall with new materials--there is a new seam if you know where to look; can't see it otherwise. They had "spares" of the wall covering--it is likely you'll have to get a part number from Thor and then order it through a dealer as I don't think they will sell you the wallpaper direct.
There is a vertical seam from floor and intersecting rear edge of the window frame. Thinking about starting there and see if I can pull it loose and maybe not have to replace the wall covering. Not sure what type of wall board is used or if it and covering can be salvaged. Yes, I forgot that Thor does not sell direct. Maybe they will send me a yard of material to keep me from showing up at the factory......<g>
Old 05-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
I just opened up a case with Thor this morning. We will be stopping by Ekhardt sometime in October to get them to do the repairs.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what I am going to do about stopping the bleeding for the moment.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:04 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
On mine, the window leaked from the top. So I just filled the space between the top of the window and the side of the coach with silicone. I also put it down the front side of the window so water would not leak in there if you were in a rainstorm while driving. You can’t see it and it stopped the leak. Unfortunate, I did not find any way to fix the “dimples” except to sell it. Someone told me that they thought the water the glue or something inside the wall that the water dissolved and formed small hard nodules. Actually my wife solved the issue by sewing a three pocket rectangular panel the size of the space where the dimples appeared and putting it up with plastic hooks. It gives you three blue jean pockets to store stuff in. I liked it so much we moved them to our new Axis, even though we did not have that issue.
Oneilkeys, can you tell me what kind/type of silicon that you used? I have a history of using the "wrong" type of sealant that sometimes doesnt play nice with the surface I am applying it to. And, with our VEGAS I am even more afraid to mess things up.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:24 AM   #16
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We have a bulge in our wall under the passenger window...Ron ran silicone around window on both sides .. we have not had a problem since.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #17

THOR #8351
I had to have my Axis front walls rebuilt after I bought it used. Both windows leaked. We pulled both windows and resealed. With the walls open, we hosed it down and there was still water coming in. We found the leak was coming from the cap. My RV tech resealed the cap and replaced the tiny screws with more substantial screws. Luckily I got Camping World to pay for all the repairs since I bought it over the phone and they told me they went through it for me. We have been good since, especially with all the rain we have had over the last few weeks.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:57 PM   #18

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Oneilkeys, can you tell me what kind/type of silicon that you used? I have a history of using the "wrong" type of sealant that sometimes doesnt play nice with the surface I am applying it to. And, with our VEGAS I am even more afraid to mess things up.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am 2500 miles from home so I don’t have access to what I used, but I remember purchasing the best (lasted the longest time) and for exterior use. I used clear silicone and it has lasted well for two years. I would suggest testing it out in the crack between the top of the window and the outside of the coach.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am 2500 miles from home so I don’t have access to what I used, but I remember purchasing the best (lasted the longest time) and for exterior use. I used clear silicone and it has lasted well for two years. I would suggest testing it out in the crack between the top of the window and the outside of the coach.
When I sealed up my window after Thor rebuilt it I used black silicone since I was running the bead behind the inside trim piece (which is black).
Old 05-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #20

THOR #1249
Finally got a few minutes to tear into the wall under the window and it was ugly. Kinda reminds me of an old wooden boat I had back in the 70's. I think I will give Thor the opportunity to fix it as a gesture of good will.

I think Arby maybe onto where some of the leaking is occurring; being the wire from the awning motor where goes into top of the bracket beside the door. It looked to me like it was wide open as I could not see down from the top of the bracket, so I applied liberal amounts of sealant.
In the pic below, it looks as if the water was traveling down the seam beside the window, but it also could be both window and wire inlet leaking. Then the water looks as if it was running across a support behind the plywood. I have been chasing leaks ever since I've had it, so anything is possible where leaks are concerned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0531181053ab.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	10506