Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2023, 01:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Ventline horizontal hood vent leaking

It's been Janu-raining here in N CA and of course I found another puddle of water behind the kitchen stove in our rig. Last year I did a total roof repair and reseal and no issues or so I thought. Of all places this side vent seems to somehow let just enough water inside to cause a real problem. I also noticed the counter top is a little uneven presumably from past water leaks. This seemed to be a mystery leak as I resealed the vent edges a year ago with Proflex and thought it was done. I only posted this as a heads up to anyone with the same type vent. It seems to be capillary action of some sort so I will install an aftermarket vent cover and cross my fingers it does the job. If you get a puddle behind your stove check out this vent system. It was replaced by a newer design years ago but for some of us with older rigs The Leak Goes On.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230119_130929.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	40611  

Old 01-20-2023, 01:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Assuming your picture is sideways - can you just replace it with a standard non=leaking vent like this?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:23 AM   #3

THOR #25443
Yes it's sideways as I still can't get the hang of getting pictures right. I bought a replacement close the one you posted so yes. The snag I found today is that it looks like I may need to do some engineering to make the new one work. Now the vent is controlled by an inside lever on the hood face and looks like I may need to drop the whole hood to uncover the inside mounting screws for the vent assy. Nothing is easy here. Not one screw on the outside and they cut the opening about an inch shy of the proper place. I'll figure out something as it just needs to keep out the rain water.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:51 PM   #4

THOR #25443
Ventline vent update

I've be meaning to share my experience replacing this horizontal side vent for a some time.
I choose the Hengs model to replace the leaking factory Ventline. The replacement required removal of the old from outside and as luck would have it is not screwed into the wall inside or out just clamped from inside so I man handled the clamps with a plair of pliers. Not pretty but got the job done. Next the opening was some 2" too small for the new vent so a vibrating saw blade did the job. The rest was just standard seals and screws. I had to abandon the cable operated function by cutting the cable inside and now we have a manually operated vent. Small price to pay for keeping the inside dry.

I wanted to mention a stellar product I stumbled on in the process and share with everyone. When the leak was first detected and had no choice but to try and seal the old vent from outside. I had purchased this 3M No Res duct tape a few months ago and gave it a try. I cut off 4 or 5 strips to cover the old vent until dry weather happened. A few weeks later I removed the tape and as advertised no residue. None. As a bonus even after being wet for a few weeks it removed easy and retained all ov it's adhesive. It's just as sticky today as it was weeks ago so reusable! Pretty amazing these products. You can buy it almost anywhere at about $10 a roll and a bargain. Home Depot, Amazon and Lowes all carry it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new vent.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	40839