Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Texas
THOR #8252
Very disappointed

We did a maiden voyage this weekend to test/prepare for a big trip at the end of the month. On the way home we got an engine light. I have an OBD II module and app so that I can keep an eye on my MPG. The code stated that it was “Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected”. I called Ford helpline and was told as long as the engine light is not flashing that I could continue driving home and then schedule service.
I got a list of service centers from the Ford helpline but more than half of them said they can't handle RVs and shouldn't be on the list. Calling around, the few Ford dealers that could handle motorhomes all said that they were backed up with RVs and couldn’t get to me till mid October at the earliest.
I called the dealer that I purchased it from (MHSRV) and was told that the earliest they could take a look was mid November.
I called THOR and spoke to a “service tech” who suggested that I clear the error and see if it happens again. I asked if this would void the warranty with Ford and got a ????? well gee I don’t know???
I talked to a local RV service center who was nice enough to tell me that the most probable cause of this code on this engine is spark plug related but that they no longer accept Ford warranty work due to difficulties getting paid. Less important was the AC would occasionally start blowing very hot and we would have to turn it on and of a few times to kick back in.

Very disappointed in all parties involved.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Of all the things that we might expect to see go wrong; the Ford platform probably doesn't even get on the radar screen...
Sorry to hear that you're having this kind of issue...
Error codes can pop up for the strangest reasons:
a bad sensor
a poor connection
a error in the computerized communications...
And even a busted part!
If you can clear it: do so, and see if it returns.

But note the date, time and mileages of each and every occurrence!

Good luck; let us know what happens next!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
VegasinDallas - first off I agree with Rob, the part of our coach that has been trouble free for the last 35k miles is the Ford chassis. With that said, what I've done in the past is before clearing the fault record it to a log. I use Torque and it allows this to be done. Then I'd clear the faults and keep an eye on the fault codes repeating.

I checked this fault and most of what I read stated it is a P0300 code. It also states that the check engine light should come on. One of the websites I checked was Code P0300 - What Causes It and How to Fix It.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Anything mechanical can and eventually will fail, The bigger issue, to me, is the inability to get timely service when you do have a problem. Having to wait two to three months, when you are traveling and living in your RV, is just not acceptable at least not to me. Just imagine the hotel bills, car rental bills, and major inconvenience.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:57 PM   #5

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
RANDOM MISFIRE, FORD IS RIGHT NO ENGINE LIGHT KEEP ON DRIVING, the obi tracks a lot of info, don't worry about info overload,
Old 09-06-2017, 12:07 AM   #6

THOR #8252
Thank you for the quick replies.
Bob and bigben, I also thought the Ford engine and chassis would be the last thing to give me a problem.
As far as clearing the code, I believe my app (OBD Fusion) can do that and log the error. My concern would be voiding the warranty. I asked Ford this and “Ashley” would not say yes or no, only that I could drive it if it is not flashing and should take it to a “authorized ford mechanic”
Bigben’s weblink (thank you) listed fuel pressure and compression as possible causes. Just 30 min prior to the error I did have it in Tow/Haul mode going down a steep decline. Also the Thor service person suggested loosening the fuel cap to clear a possible pressure issue that often causes a different code. He could not however tell me if I would void my warranty.
Any thoughts on the warranty?
Old 09-06-2017, 12:13 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Nope won't void the warranty at all. Clearing codes is something the dealer would do, or any mechanic.

No different than you changing out your own oil: that won't void the warranty either.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #8

THOR #8252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Nope won't void the warranty at all. Clearing codes is something the dealer would do, or any mechanic.

No different than you changing out your own oil: that won't void the warranty either.
Thank you
Old 09-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Funny thing - I (literally) dropped my Hurricane 35M off at a Ford dealer yesterday for the exact same issue with the P0300 check engine light code. My check engine light wasn't blinking either when it occurred on a recent trip. I cleared the light with my OBD scanner, and the Ford service tech said that they would prefer that I hadn't done that, since it makes it harder to track the problem down. Even though it cleared the check engine light, there is still a record of it in the engine's computer, so that may help them diagnosing the problem.

I also had issues with a hanging brake caliper (brake dust on the tire and a "chirping" sound when the steering wheel turns to the right), so the Ford dealer is dealing with both issues simultaneously.

The nearest Ford dealer for me that could handle my coach is about 40 miles from home - only a minor inconvenience for me.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Call the Ford customer service line, they have a special division just for motorhomes. Ford can give you the names of dealers who will service motorhomes, there are two or three here in the Dallas area. Don't have my phone on me or would provide the number but if you call Ford and ask for motorhomes, they'll transfer you.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #11

THOR #8252
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
Funny thing - I (literally) dropped my Hurricane 35M off at a Ford dealer yesterday for the exact same issue with the P0300 check engine light code. My check engine light wasn't blinking either when it occurred on a recent trip. I cleared the light with my OBD scanner, and the Ford service tech said that they would prefer that I hadn't done that, since it makes it harder to track the problem down. Even though it cleared the check engine light, there is still a record of it in the engine's computer, so that may help them diagnosing the problem.

I also had issues with a hanging brake caliper (brake dust on the tire and a "chirping" sound when the steering wheel turns to the right), so the Ford dealer is dealing with both issues simultaneously.

The nearest Ford dealer for me that could handle my coach is about 40 miles from home - only a minor inconvenience for me.

I have several to choose from in the Dallas area but they are all booked for a month or two. Just an inconvenience for me but wonder what full time RVers would do. I am going to log the issue and clear. Please let me know what they find
Old 09-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #12

THOR #8252
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Call the Ford customer service line, they have a special division just for motorhomes. Ford can give you the names of dealers who will service motorhomes, there are two or three here in the Dallas area. Don't have my phone on me or would provide the number but if you call Ford and ask for motorhomes, they'll transfer you.
Thank you for your reply.
I called Ford motorhome service. I got to talk to a real person very quickly. They did give me the name and # of a few and also directed me to www.fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com for more. Some of the Ford dealers that was recommended said that they could not accommodate anything longer than 20' despite being on Ford's list for motorhome service. The rest were all booked for a month or two and the dealer that I bought it from was booked till mid November.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #13

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasinDallas View Post
SNIP
Less important was the AC would occasionally start blowing very hot and we would have to turn it on and of a few times to kick back in.
FWIW on your AC; just this trip I discovered what was making our AC do similar as yours, only when going up an incline though it would shut down with no blower at all. I usually keep a scan gage (Ultra Gauge) connected except for this trip and noticed that the AC was performing normally. There must be some setting in the gage that was causing it. It stays disconnected now.
Good luck with your other problem and hope it is not serious.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #14

THOR #8252
Good to know on the AC. By scan gauge do you mean in OBD module?
Old 09-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #15

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Yes, UltraGauge is a brand name. It records trouble codes, allows you to clear them and a lot of other operations; more than I care to get into. I now leave it off until I need it.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #16

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Yeah, count me in too. Took delivery from CW and took a maiden cruise of around 400 miles and the Axis drove fine. Loaded everything up for the BIG one, said goodbye to the dogsitter and... a block away no AC. We went straight to CW and their techs checked fuses and relays and found no cause. There is no AC, no blower control, no outlet selector (windshield, dash, floor), no recirculator switch AND no backup cameras! So, they say it's a Ford problem (but their cameras/radio are affected). We went on the trip anyway, around 2500 miles, in misery at times. At a home depot I bought some rigid foam and a roll of reflectix to cover the doghouse. This helped but we rode with the generator feeding the roof air, (closed all the back vents) and it was still inadequate. Ugh! We returned home and dropped the Axis off at CW and they can't find a Ford dealer that works on class As anymore. WTH?
Old 09-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #17

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Not being able to find a service facility, is IMO a major serious problem. Maybe you would have better luck at a truck repair facility. Don't know where in California you are, but there are several truck repair facilities not far from me, that might be able to help.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #18

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I've never owned or used an OBD Scanner, but after reading this thread and some others, sounds like a wise (and inexpensive) investment. Just ordered one from Amazon. I love this forum, I'm continually learning new things.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #19
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Have you checked FORD TRUCK CENTERS...not Ford Dealers...Last summer, we had to take our Axis in for a transmission check....called the Truck center in Kansas City...about 45 minutes from us...got in, in a couple days...they only deal with large trucks, so motorhomes are not an issue. GREAT, prompt service..we were out of there in about 2 hours, surprisingly.

http://www.spford.com/commercial-fleet-department/
this is a link to a Commercial Fleet dealer in Carrollton

Good luck !

Ron
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
Just an fyi. We received a recall notice on our 2017 windsport, ford v10, chassis.
The flywheel was not torqued down to specs, and could come loose.
The guy at the ford dealer that fixed it, said if it did start to come loose, it would throw out error codes, such as engine misfires.
Just a thought.