Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #18965
XM 1000 E5 OL Error Code

Hello Thor Family
We just moved the storage of our coach closer to home so I am getting caught up on some old maintenance and upgrade items. Today’s issue is the Xantrex XM 1000 inverter and the entire battery system. Last time I tried the inverter, I received the E5 OL error message so I checked the manual and disconnect the negative wire from the connection on the inverter for at least two hours to hard reset the inverter. I put it back together but I still get the error message and Xantrex told me it must be an internal short/overload. While I would love to do some boon-docking, we don’t really do that type of camping and the times we have spent overnight in a rest stop, we simple used my ipad or laptop for entertainment so we are not in a huge hurry to replace this unit. My two questions are: 1. Has anyone tried anything else to get their inverter working if they received the same error code? 2. If we decide to replace the inverter, what inverter have other used as a good unit to easily swap out for this model?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Before you buy another inverter you need to verify the inverter is the issue.

An "E5 OL" error means the AC load is too much for the inverter; so you have two ends to check.

Can you disconnect the AC end and see if the error still comes up? If so, it's probably the inverter.

Can you measure the DC voltage at the inverter input when you have it running? With no load it should be the same as your house batteries (you HAVE verified the house batteries are good haven't you?)

Under load you should still be in the 12+ VDC area.

If you need to replace it you will need to take into account the size of the DC cables supplying it if you upgrade to a larger inverter (Xantrex 1800).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:00 PM   #3

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Please also be sure batteries hv a good charge.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:21 AM   #4

THOR #18965
Hello and thanks for the reply. Would tripping all of the CBs at the main panel be the same as disconnecting the AC side? After I took the negative cable off at the inverter for the two hours, I left all the CBs in the fuse panel tripped so I could be sure I didn’t have any draw, and therefore no overload. I also tripped two of the three CBs in the battery compartment and the one CB in the engine compartment. I did notice that one of the three CBs in the battery compartment is set and not tripped but the test button is not pushed out.

Sounds like I need to:
1. Test the batteries with my ohm meter first to see what condition they are in. I hear the charger in the fuse panel running every once in a while, not consistently, so I assumed the batteries were okay.
2. Measure the DC voltage at the inverter input when it is running but no load
3. Investigate and take a picture of that CB in the battery compartment that isn’t tripped but the test button isn’t out
Old 12-20-2021, 01:13 AM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
Hello and thanks for the reply. Would tripping all of the CBs at the main panel be the same as disconnecting the AC side?
No, the circuit the inverter powers ic connected directly to the inverter output. Your inverter also has an inverter input from the circuit breaker panel that is passed through an internal switch in the inverter when on SP or generator, that supplies the same loads as the inverter when on battery.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:04 PM   #6

THOR #18965
CB?

Happy New Year and thanks again. When I checked the status of the batteries, which is fine, 12.5, I noticed this CB which is one of three in the battery compartment and just doesn't look right so I am wondering if this could be the issue. It is neither tripped nor is the reset button popped.

I have not been able to disconnect the AC end and see if the error still comes up.

I was running the generator the other day and my son turned the inverter on and it did NOT give the error. Does that help figure this out?

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBInverter.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	35489  
Old 01-05-2022, 08:56 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Happy New Year and thanks again. When I checked the status of the batteries, which is fine, 12.5, I noticed this CB which is one of three in the battery compartment and just doesn't look right so I am wondering if this could be the issue. It is neither tripped nor is the reset button popped.

I have not been able to disconnect the AC end and see if the error still comes up.

I was running the generator the other day and my son turned the inverter on and it did NOT give the error. Does that help figure this out?

Thanks again!
That's the cheap 50 amp circuit breaker Thor uses for connection to the house 12 VDC buss. It has no push button to test. The best you can do is try to push the "tripped" flag in some more. That should have no bearing on your inverter error issue.

When running the generator (or when plugged into SP) your incoming 120 VAC supply is switched using the Automatic Transfer Switch in the inverter, so that the incoming power is sent to the loads that the inverter would power if not plugged into SP or running the generator. The fact that you did not get the error when the inverter was unloaded eliminates a direct short on the inverter supplied circuit (assuming no circuit breakers tripped in the power center), but doesn't eliminate a true overload condition on that circuit.

There's no "magic answer" to your issue - some logical troubleshooting with a multimeter is what will lead you to the problem.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:33 AM   #8

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Mine did the same thing a couple of years ago. I unplugged the three TVs and the dvd, powered it up and lost the code. Been working ever since.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:25 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
Rey,
Silly question.
When you checked you batteries, you DID isolate them from each other?
I mean disconnect each battery from the other?
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:41 PM   #10

THOR #18965
Next Step

Thanks for the assistance so far on this. I have been working on some other RV projects and this one was put on the back burner. We have a trip coming in a couple of months that will require us to boondock so I need to get this inverter issue resolved.

The two questions I have:

1. How do I disconnect the AC end? Do I need to take off the inverter's cover or can I do that further down the line?

2. Anything else I should check?

I did disconnect the ground from the house batteries before I checked them.

Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2022, 06:49 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
https://www.xantrex.com/documents/Po...d%2018000).pdf
Look here
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:03 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks for the assistance so far on this. I have been working on some other RV projects and this one was put on the back burner. We have a trip coming in a couple of months that will require us to boondock so I need to get this inverter issue resolved.

The two questions I have:

1. How do I disconnect the AC end? Do I need to take off the inverter's cover or can I do that further down the line?

2. Anything else I should check?

I did disconnect the ground from the house batteries before I checked them.

Thanks again!
Yes. See the PDF manual above.