Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
THOR #21025
water heater on shore power

Have a new problem that has cropped up on our 2013 Freedom Elite 28Z w/ Atwood 6 gl hot water heater.

On propane, hot water heater works great. No issues.

On shore power, it works fine except...

Occasionally (~1-3 days), the "Pilot Out" indicator light comes on on the control panel and the hot water heater turns off. Initial condition is: propane switch off, 110 switch on. We know the water heater is off because we slowly run out of hot water.

Turning the 110 hot water heater switch off, then immediately back on turns the light off and the water heater back on.

The water heater has no pilot, it is DSI, so the indicator light is mis-labeled but that's not an issue.

Have checked the outside propane stuff and no indications of any close or worn wires. Haven't pulled the inside 110 panel off the water heater yet, but am about to.

Water tank is full, we are running off the pump and it is working fine, so don't suspect water level in the heater tank.

Have not noticed any power glitches or interruptions.

Was wondering if anyone had seen this before or had any specific ideas of what might be going on or what the indicator light is actually telling us.

TIA
Greg

Old 10-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
That's a new one. Normally that light will only come on when you have a failure to ignite cycle when the GAS switch is on. I've never heard of it illuminating with the electric only switch on.

Barring further research I'd be inclined to think the control board has a problem, which unfortunately, is a common Atwood water heater and furnace problem.

Might want to find the manual for your specific water heater model online and/or call Atwood to see what they have to say about this.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #3

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
The WH is going into thermal lockout when on AC power. You should download the Atwood Master Water Heater Manual (google it) and it has some good troubleshooting.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #4

State: Maryland
THOR #21025
Quick update fyi.

Talked to a service tech. He suspected either relay, E.C.O switch, or circuit board.

Pulled all the wires and checked all the voltages per the wiring diagram in the Atwood manual. Especially checked the ground as I suspected recent damp conditions may have corroded the ground to the control board.

After putting it all back together, it's working, but I'm not confident and am monitoring in the event that it cuts out again. Given that the tech and the troubleshooting guides all end up at "replace circuit board," and since others have said that's a common failure point, and the fact that are full time and really like hot showers, I decided to get a spare/replacement. Dealers want 200-250 for the part. Amazon sells them for 106. Offered a "local premium" to the dealers if they would come close (not match) but neither was interested. So have one on order from Amazon.

If I learn any more, will come back and post it.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #5

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Interesting. My gut had me thinking the element might be bad or corroded given the age of the coach. I would have given the water tank a good flush as a starting point.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Arizona
THOR #21027
Hi, new to forum. I have 17 Thor ACE
Coming back from trip and Transmission light went on and stayed on.
Wasn’t heating up. 15,000 miles on engine.
Time for a transmission oil change?
Old 10-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
Quick update fyi.

Talked to a service tech. He suspected either relay, E.C.O switch, or circuit board.

Pulled all the wires and checked all the voltages per the wiring diagram in the Atwood manual. Especially checked the ground as I suspected recent damp conditions may have corroded the ground to the control board.

After putting it all back together, it's working, but I'm not confident and am monitoring in the event that it cuts out again. Given that the tech and the troubleshooting guides all end up at "replace circuit board," and since others have said that's a common failure point, and the fact that are full time and really like hot showers, I decided to get a spare/replacement. Dealers want 200-250 for the part. Amazon sells them for 106. Offered a "local premium" to the dealers if they would come close (not match) but neither was interested. So have one on order from Amazon.

If I learn any more, will come back and post it.

Thanks!
Shouda got the Dinosaur board replacement.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water heater issue, pilot out light