Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2022, 05:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post
Any chance you could share a pic of the side of the slide so can see how the Vroom system looks?
Sorry ...my appointment is set for July 20th.....
I will gladly post pictures of the completed work .....
see link to Judge's pictures and write up...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...v34-28659.html

the facebook page has a good comparison of the gearing difference.
https://www.facebook.com/vroomslidesystems/

Hope this helps

Old 02-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #22

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
Sorry ...my appointment is set for July 20th.....
I will gladly post pictures of the completed work .....
see link to Judge's pictures and write up...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...v34-28659.html

the facebook page has a good comparison of the gearing difference.
https://www.facebook.com/vroomslidesystems/

Hope this helps
Hey Mousemate - Does Vroom have a location near you yet for the install or are you coming to AZ in July? Brian had told me awhile back that he was setting up authorized shops to do installs.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:02 PM   #23

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
We will be out in AZ on a cross county trip...so it worked out for us....my wife and daughter will be staying in a hotel close... while they work on it....
Old 02-19-2022, 08:47 PM   #24

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Oregon
THOR #26031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Being able to manually crank in the Vroom system with a wrench is a very good thing for a full wall slide and well thought out in my opinion. If the schwintek fails and the override does not work you are screwed since there is no manual way to get the schwinteck full wall slide in, it's just to heavy.

If a failure were to happen in the extended position then you are stuck wherever you are until it can be repaired.
This is not correct. If the slide fails out you remove the motor retention screws on the outside, then push the motors up to disengage them from the shafts, and then one or two people (or a high school football team!) can push the slide in manually. Once it is in as far as it will roll then you can brace the slide with retention bars and carefully drive to where you can get service.

Slide failing while retracted is trickier because you can't get to the retention screws, but you can get to a shop that knows the system.

I know this from experience and it has been discussed on the Palazzo forum on IRV2.

That said the Vroom system looks good and next time I am through Tucson I plan to stop and talk with them.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:16 AM   #25

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #11568
I have a 2018 Aria 3901 and had a problem with the dinette slide due to a seat belt bolt that backed out and caught one roller. I use a PTFE dry lube regularly on the rollers and track and everything is working well at this time. I would change to the VROOM if I had another issue, but I am based at Lake Powell AZ so it may be easier. Both the bedroom and full wall kitchen/bedroom slide have always worked well with no problems. Just keep them clean and lubricated
Old 02-20-2022, 03:11 AM   #26

State: South Dakota
THOR #14004
Since 2014 had nothing but trouble with the large wall slide on our 33.2. Was upgraded to triple track in 2015 at the rally. Replace in 2017 in TX and replaced again in 2019. Had it "adjusted" in 2021 and it's starting to sound bad again! Done with Swintek. Appt in March at VRoom.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:43 AM   #27

THOR #24580
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsol View Post
This is not correct. If the slide fails out you remove the motor retention screws on the outside, then push the motors up to disengage them from the shafts, and then one or two people (or a high school football team!) can push the slide in manually. Once it is in as far as it will roll then you can brace the slide with retention bars and carefully drive to where you can get service.

Slide failing while retracted is trickier because you can't get to the retention screws, but you can get to a shop that knows the system.

I know this from experience and it has been discussed on the Palazzo forum on IRV2.

That said the Vroom system looks good and next time I am through Tucson I plan to stop and talk with them.
All due respect Appsol - I have never heard of anyone with a full wall slide issue being able to disengage motors and be able to manually push a full wall slide in (even with a football team). Would love to hear if anyone has actually been able to do it.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #28

Model: VEGAS 27.7
State: Florida
THOR #14226
We purchased a 2018 Envision 08/09/21 with 9,400.0 miles. The plan was to move our Stay-N-Play Brake System from our HHR to the Envision and then install Blue Ox base plate.
Can you give me any advise on making it a better tow car than my HHR. It has been a very good tow car. It has only 93,000.0 miles and is in great shape.
I do like the Envision looks and appointments. We have only put about 1400.0 miles on the Envision.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #29

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post
I have an appointment in May in Tucson AZ to replace the Schwintek slide system with the Vroom system for all 3 slides on my 2019 Aria 3901.

Looking for any and all comments on whether this is a good decision to achieve a reliable slide system?

Cost will be ~$2500 per slide, or ~$7500 for the full coach.
. I called them because I’ve had my slide fail once already on my 2018 Windsport 29m. I don’t remember the cost but I asked them to ship me the parts and they would not??????? I don’t understand why but any qualified tech or even myself could do this. I watched them install the new slide gears and motors and it’s not that complicated!!! I think eventually they may sell the kit with no warranty for improper workmanship??? It seems to be a great alternative to the piss poor inexpensive unit Thor uses. Not enough power and strength for such a large slide out. This is what the service manager at Gander RV in Statesville, NC told me but so far, “No Problems”!!!! Knock on wood…… Bob Trice
Old 02-20-2022, 05:04 PM   #30

Model: Omni SV34
State: California
THOR #20781
Quote:
All due respect Appsol - I have never heard of anyone with a full wall slide issue being able to disengage motors and be able to manually push a full wall slide in (even with a football team). Would love to hear if anyone has actually been able to do it.
I did it on a ‘19 Thor Omni sv34. It wasn’t fun. I’m 6’3 260 lbs. The motors never seated right again. Got the Vroom system and never looked back. Thank you Brian Vroom for tackling one of the biggest problems in the industry! He is a perfectionist and you can tell with this product.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #31

THOR #24580
I stand corrected - That couldn’t have been fun - Kudos to you Brian. I’m about your size but not sure my back would do it. I have an appointment with Vroom :-)
Old 02-20-2022, 07:28 PM   #32
MLP

THOR #17478
Thought hard about the Vroom system. My wife's health won't allow us to travel far at this time, but I did bring the rig into the dealer. The extended warranty covers the slide. Well the certified tech told me to clean the roof, sides, and bottom. Wax them, clean and lube the slide sweeps along with the seals and use dry lube on the gear rails. Keeps the slides slick and the big slide runs quiet and smoothly. There is too much drag for the Swintec system otherwise. This causes most, but not all problems. Mine now works as one would expect it to.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:16 PM   #33

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgunnin View Post
We purchased a 2018 Envision 08/09/21 with 9,400.0 miles. The plan was to move our Stay-N-Play Brake System from our HHR to the Envision and then install Blue Ox base plate.
Can you give me any advise on making it a better tow car than my HHR. It has been a very good tow car. It has only 93,000.0 miles and is in great shape.
I do like the Envision looks and appointments. We have only put about 1400.0 miles on the Envision.

You may get more responses if you post your questions in a thread related to toads or towing equipment instead of a thread on slides...
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:42 AM   #34

Model: Chateau 28Z
THOR #15361
Preaching to the choir, but just wanted to relate my history with Schwintek Triple-track system on a full-wall slide, in case someone else is having similar issue. First, we always level the coach, then bring slide out and hold the button at least 5 seconds after both motors stall out. Batteries are always freshly charged after being charged by the engine after pulling into the campsite.
Slide was working well for about 6 months (after purchasing used), then started to make grinding noises, then the top and center bearing block "feet" broke off inside the rail channels, and the entire slide shifted and jumped the V-roller tracks. See photos.
I had the whole system on that side replaced by a local shop. No issues after several trips, but I wish I knew about the Vroom system before this happened. If more problems happen, this will be my next upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken_foot2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	36187   Click image for larger version

Name:	jumped_track.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	36188  

Old 02-21-2022, 12:55 AM   #35

Model: Hurricane 34R
THOR #19887
Quote:
...Can you give me any advise on making it a better tow car than my HHR. ..
We tow an Envision but never towed a HHR so we can't say how to do it better than HHR...
That being said,
I installed the Blue Ox tow bar and roadmaster wiring and invisibrake, including the switch for the two fuses you need to disconnect while towing....
It took me and a friend two afternoons to install everything and we could not be more happy.
We can't imagine how much easier could be:
Wife comes with car and I hook the tow bars, she puts the transmission in Neutral, releases the parking break, turn the engine off and flip a switch... thats it.
By the time she is done I already hooked everything and we are ready to go... no more than 5 minutes.
Unhitch is even faster...

Almost 10K miles towing the "mule" (we carry our bikes, kayaks, etc on it) from Key West, Florida to Acadia NP in Maine and no problem.
We love it.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 04:20 PM   #36

Model: VEGAS 27.7
State: Florida
THOR #14226
Where did you get a switch that disconnects both fuses? I can only find a switch that is for a single fuse. My HHR only needs to disconnect one fuse.
THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONCE!
Old 02-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #37

Model: Hurricane 34R
THOR #19887
Quote:
Where did you get a switch that disconnects both fuses? I can only find a switch that is for a single fuse. My HHR only needs to disconnect one fuse.
THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONCE!
https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...x/BX88273.html

You're welcome!

Just one suggestion:
We have this switch just under the glove box but if I would do this again I would run an extension and locate it on the driver side.
while I can stretch (and risk twisting my baCK) AND reach it from the driver seat, Wife is 5" tall and she can't so she needs to step out and go to the other side to turn it off...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210529_135022.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	36207  
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:39 AM   #38

Model: XG-32
State: Texas
THOR #19089
Vroom slide

I have an appt. at Vroom Slides. The slide has only worked one ore two times per trip. I have had to manually work the slide several times. Holding the button down for 5 seconds sometimes snaps the gear off of the motor or bends the screw holding the motor in. The slide is too heavy for this Lippert unit. It is so unreliable that I would camp with the slide in so I would not get stuck dealing with the problem.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:35 AM   #39
LDK

State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
I too have a appointment with vroom to replace mine. I have not ran into many issues with the original Schintek system but with a full slide its only time .The rear bottom track on mine is slowly getting marred and I keep filing it smooth... ILO replacing with the original Schintek sytem I felt that it would be a good investment to switch to the vroom since i am looking to keep the rv for many more years....
When is your appointment? Please share any feedback once installed.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:36 AM   #40
LDK

State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Quote:
In my opinion it's a good decision, as you say it will get your confidence back. Having an issue while out on the road or right before leaving for a trip could put a real damper on plans.

I also am slated for a Vroom install on a mega slide in late April. Best to you with your trip to AZ and the install.
Please share feedback once you make the change. Thank you.