Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2022, 04:38 AM   #41
LDK

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbay View Post
Since 2014 had nothing but trouble with the large wall slide on our 33.2. Was upgraded to triple track in 2015 at the rally. Replace in 2017 in TX and replaced again in 2019. Had it "adjusted" in 2021 and it's starting to sound bad again! Done with Swintek. Appt in March at VRoom.
Hello. Please share feedback once installed. Thank you.

Old 04-01-2022, 04:39 AM   #42
LDK

THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
I did it on a ‘19 Thor Omni sv34. It wasn’t fun. I’m 6’3 260 lbs. The motors never seated right again. Got the Vroom system and never looked back. Thank you Brian Vroom for tackling one of the biggest problems in the industry! He is a perfectionist and you can tell with this product.
Any current feedback on your vroom replacement? Have you used vroom system slides a lot?
Old 04-01-2022, 04:40 AM   #43
LDK

THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by XG32owner View Post
I have an appt. at Vroom Slides. The slide has only worked one ore two times per trip. I have had to manually work the slide several times. Holding the button down for 5 seconds sometimes snaps the gear off of the motor or bends the screw holding the motor in. The slide is too heavy for this Lippert unit. It is so unreliable that I would camp with the slide in so I would not get stuck dealing with the problem.
Please share feedback once vroom system installed and used. Thank you.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #44

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I would get no piece of mind from a new slide mechanism that says if it breaks I can easily disconnect it and crank it in with a 7/16" socket wrench. They are all but telling me that their system will fail.

So let me address some of the questions and scepticism out there for people who have not actually seen the Vroom Slide Mechanism individual components, had it installed or seen it in operation.

1. Any electrical system can fail for a multitude of reasons that are completely unrelated to the design of said system. Something as simple as a dead battery can prevent operation but any electric motor or controller can fail regardless of who manufactures it. Having a way to address an unlikely failure is not just a good thing but its a smarter design and better engineering. The fact that Vroom actually was smart enough to design a way to manually retract the slide easily in the unlikely event of a motor or controller failure is very smart and demonstrates they put some thought into the design as well as where and how coaches are used. Its not because it is prone to failure... unlike the Schwintek Mechanism.

2. I have personally compared the Vroom components side by side with the Schwintek components before they were installed. The tracks, gears, bearings and H-Column are far more robust than the Schwintek Components. They also fit together better and operate more smoothly with far less frictional forces. The ease of movement of the components was amazing when it was demonstrated before installation.

3. While the Schwintek Mechanism is adequate for a smaller or lighter slide, closer inspection of it can easily detect why it is problematic for large and heaver slides such as a full wall slide. There is a reason the higher-end manufacturers don't use the Schwintek Mechanism on their large slides.

4. It's not if..... but when two parts.... of the Schwintek Mechanism will fail. The nylon / plastic V-rollers and / or the motor mounting mechanism.

4a. There is a reason LCI sells an H-Column Rebuilt Kit. The V-Rollers support a lot of weight and the small bearings don't hold up well over time with a lot of use. Once the V-Rollers start to wear enough there will be movement causing alignment issues with the mechanism.

Instead of V-Rollers, the Vroom Mechanism uses high load capacity bearings on the leading and trailing surfaces of their pinion housing (pinion housing = LCI bearing block) to move along the track. No nylon or plastic components for high load surfaces.

4b. There are four alignment pins on the motor housing and one set screw to keep the motor secure in the bearing block. Ultimately, the slide motors are not mounted in a truly secure manner. There is an incredible amount of torque in play when opening and closing the slide..... especially with the motors geared for 500:1. If you closely watch the motor you can almost always see slight movement of the motor when opening and closing the slide. The four alignment pins are supposed to deal with the rotational forces while the set screw is supposed to deal with the lateral forces. The lateral forces are also very strong and more than the set screw can often take over time. The set screw can shear off or even bend upward because it is only threaded through a very thin piece of metal in the H-Column mount. Once the set screw starts to fail the motor lifts out of the bearing block and causes the "pop-pop-pop" sound people hear when they are having slide issues.

Instead of the four motor alignment pins, Vroom actually uses four bolts to keep the motor secured into the pinion housing (pinion housing = LCI bearing block). Regardless of the rotational and lateral torque forces, the motors stay secure and will NEVER move during operation.

5. The LCI / Schwintek Bearing Block is not a very robust design and it also uses a composite gib for the V-Roller Mounting. Again, it is fine for a small and light slide but not a big and heavy slide. LCI thought they could overcome the weaknesses of the design by adding a third track on big slides (hence the Thor 3Trax System) but ultimately it didn't help much.

Vroom designed their system to have a wider track with deeper groves. This allowed them to also design a larger pinion gear with teeth that provide a deeper engagement into the track. They also used heavy duty needle bearings in the pinion housing. These design improvements to the tracks and the pinion housing plus the use of the heavy duty bearings instead of V-Rollers eliminates the need for the 3 tracks that are used on the larger slides.

All of these mechanism changes and improvements leads to a slide that opens and closes more smoothly and quietly. The difference in performance before and after the Vroom Mechanism was installed is undeniable in my case.

I had them retrofit the LCI motors for their mechanism and use the LCI Controller. Vroom has designed their own motors with better encoders (the encoders measure the rotational speed of the motors to help keep the motors in sync) and they also designed their own controller.

The Vroom motors and controller weren't available back in October because of supply chain issues but I am scheduled to have them installed when I am out that way for the Balloon Festival in late September. But if the slide performance doesn't change at all during the season, I may just continue to use the LCI motors and controller.... especially since I have spare retrofitted motors and a spare controller.

One other improvement Vroom made is they designed a more robust wiring harness between the motors and controller. This will help ensure less voltage drop and steady current to the motors as well as it will hold up better to the movement and flexing of the harness with every open and close of the slide.

I don't get paid by Vroom to tout his slide mechanism but I have worked with enough electrical and mechanical systems to tell the difference between good and bad systems. If your slide works just fine and you have never had a problem, then there is probably no reason to spend the money on replacing the Schwintek Mechanism.

However, if you have had issues with your Schwintek Slide or you have a large and heavy slide, then I would certainly consider it if you plan to keep your coach for awhile or use it a lot in remote areas with minimal access to RV service. It makes no sense to spend good money to replace a Schwintek system with the same Schwintek system.

I learned the hard way.... I will never purchase a coach with a full wall slide again.... unless it is using a mechanism designed for the size and weight of it and it has a solid track record.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:36 AM   #45

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsol View Post
This is not correct. If the slide fails out you remove the motor retention screws on the outside, then push the motors up to disengage them from the shafts, and then one or two people (or a high school football team!) can push the slide in manually. Once it is in as far as it will roll then you can brace the slide with retention bars and carefully drive to where you can get service.
You will need a football team to push in a full wall slide that uses the Schwintek system.

Based on what I have seen with the Vroom mechanism, 2 or maybe 3 people could push in a full wall slide.... or it can be retracted using a wrench.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:27 PM   #46

Model: XG-32
State: Texas
THOR #19089
Vroom slide

I have an appt. in June at Vroom to replace the large slide. I have 15,00 miles on my 2020 Omni and have trouble with the large slide every trip. I have camped many times with the slide in because of a broken slide system.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #47

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
So let me address some of the questions and scepticism out there for people who have not actually seen the Vroom Slide Mechanism individual components, had it installed or seen it in operation.

1. Any electrical system can fail for a multitude of reasons that are completely unrelated to the design of said system. Something as simple as a dead battery can prevent operation but any electric motor or controller can fail regardless of who manufactures it. Having a way to address an unlikely failure is not just a good thing but its a smarter design and better engineering. The fact that Vroom actually was smart enough to design a way to manually retract the slide easily in the unlikely event of a motor or controller failure is very smart and demonstrates they put some thought into the design as well as where and how coaches are used. Its not because it is prone to failure... unlike the Schwintek Mechanism.

2. I have personally compared the Vroom components side by side with the Schwintek components before they were installed. The tracks, gears, bearings and H-Column are far more robust than the Schwintek Components. They also fit together better and operate more smoothly with far less frictional forces. The ease of movement of the components was amazing when it was demonstrated before installation.

3. While the Schwintek Mechanism is adequate for a smaller or lighter slide, closer inspection of it can easily detect why it is problematic for large and heaver slides such as a full wall slide. There is a reason the higher-end manufacturers don't use the Schwintek Mechanism on their large slides.

4. It's not if..... but when two parts.... of the Schwintek Mechanism will fail. The nylon / plastic V-rollers and / or the motor mounting mechanism.

4a. There is a reason LCI sells an H-Column Rebuilt Kit. The V-Rollers support a lot of weight and the small bearings don't hold up well over time with a lot of use. Once the V-Rollers start to wear enough there will be movement causing alignment issues with the mechanism.

Instead of V-Rollers, the Vroom Mechanism uses high load capacity bearings on the leading and trailing surfaces of their pinion housing (pinion housing = LCI bearing block) to move along the track. No nylon or plastic components for high load surfaces.

4b. There are four alignment pins on the motor housing and one set screw to keep the motor secure in the bearing block. Ultimately, the slide motors are not mounted in a truly secure manner. There is an incredible amount of torque in play when opening and closing the slide..... especially with the motors geared for 500:1. If you closely watch the motor you can almost always see slight movement of the motor when opening and closing the slide. The four alignment pins are supposed to deal with the rotational forces while the set screw is supposed to deal with the lateral forces. The lateral forces are also very strong and more than the set screw can often take over time. The set screw can shear off or even bend upward because it is only threaded through a very thin piece of metal in the H-Column mount. Once the set screw starts to fail the motor lifts out of the bearing block and causes the "pop-pop-pop" sound people hear when they are having slide issues.

Instead of the four motor alignment pins, Vroom actually uses four bolts to keep the motor secured into the pinion housing (pinion housing = LCI bearing block). Regardless of the rotational and lateral torque forces, the motors stay secure and will NEVER move during operation.

5. The LCI / Schwintek Bearing Block is not a very robust design and it also uses a composite gib for the V-Roller Mounting. Again, it is fine for a small and light slide but not a big and heavy slide. LCI thought they could overcome the weaknesses of the design by adding a third track on big slides (hence the Thor 3Trax System) but ultimately it didn't help much.

Vroom designed their system to have a wider track with deeper groves. This allowed them to also design a larger pinion gear with teeth that provide a deeper engagement into the track. They also used heavy duty needle bearings in the pinion housing. These design improvements to the tracks and the pinion housing plus the use of the heavy duty bearings instead of V-Rollers eliminates the need for the 3 tracks that are used on the larger slides.

All of these mechanism changes and improvements leads to a slide that opens and closes more smoothly and quietly. The difference in performance before and after the Vroom Mechanism was installed is undeniable in my case.

I had them retrofit the LCI motors for their mechanism and use the LCI Controller. Vroom has designed their own motors with better encoders (the encoders measure the rotational speed of the motors to help keep the motors in sync) and they also designed their own controller.

The Vroom motors and controller weren't available back in October because of supply chain issues but I am scheduled to have them installed when I am out that way for the Balloon Festival in late September. But if the slide performance doesn't change at all during the season, I may just continue to use the LCI motors and controller.... especially since I have spare retrofitted motors and a spare controller.

One other improvement Vroom made is they designed a more robust wiring harness between the motors and controller. This will help ensure less voltage drop and steady current to the motors as well as it will hold up better to the movement and flexing of the harness with every open and close of the slide.

I don't get paid by Vroom to tout his slide mechanism but I have worked with enough electrical and mechanical systems to tell the difference between good and bad systems. If your slide works just fine and you have never had a problem, then there is probably no reason to spend the money on replacing the Schwintek Mechanism.

However, if you have had issues with your Schwintek Slide or you have a large and heavy slide, then I would certainly consider it if you plan to keep your coach for awhile or use it a lot in remote areas with minimal access to RV service. It makes no sense to spend good money to replace a Schwintek system with the same Schwintek system.

I learned the hard way.... I will never purchase a coach with a full wall slide again.... unless it is using a mechanism designed for the size and weight of it and it has a solid track record.
Awesome recap/comparison Judge - THANKS!

I got in line with Brian/Vroom right after you had yours done last September. I should be getting the install done in Tucson very soon.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:14 PM   #48

THOR #19089
Vroom appt

June 6
Old 04-17-2022, 12:04 PM   #49

THOR #12751
Here is a great video about the Vroom Slide System going into a 5th Wheel that also shows how crappy the Schwintek motor is mounted and how much it can move around.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #50
LDK

THOR #13190
Hello. There was a few of you who had vroom installs scheduled in the last few months. Can you please provide feedback on your experience? Thank you.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:37 AM   #51

THOR #19089
Vroom slide

I just had my slide installed on Monday June 6. It works much smoother and the motors don't sound like they are straining. The install went smooth, arrived at 7:00AM with motorhome and Brian dropped me off at Enterprise Rent-a-car on the same street that Vroom is located on. Picked up the motorhome at 4:00PM after Brian went over the complete install and answered questions.
We arrived on Sunday night and stayed two nights at the Candlewood Suites about 3 miles away. There was plenty of parking for the motorhome. We did some sight seeing in the area while they worked on the motorhome. Left Tuesday morning and headed home.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:23 PM   #52
LDK

THOR #13190
My vroom install date finally arrived. Will let you all know how it went. I am excited to experience the results after 3 years of recurring painful large slide failures.

My scope is all 3 slides on my Thor Aria 3901. A unique part of the install is my super slide will include a new design feature Brian Vroom calls the quad roller. Will share pics when able.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:44 PM   #53

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post
My vroom install date finally arrived. Will let you all know how it went. I am excited to experience the results after 3 years of recurring painful large slide failures.

My scope is all 3 slides on my Thor Aria 3901. A unique part of the install is my super slide will include a new design feature Brian Vroom calls the quad roller. Will share pics when able.
I'll be interested to hear more about the quad roller and any pictures you can post.

My Magnitude SV34 is a full wall slide and I think it is about the same length as your large slide on the Aria. My slide has been working great since I got my Vroom System installed. Not sure it would be worth spending any more on it unless it really makes a difference.

I have an appointment in late September to have them change my motors, controller and wiring harnesses to the Vroom designed ones but if my slide keeps working perfectly, I may cancel the appointment when I get a week or two away. I'll be using the slide a lot from late August to late September so we'll see if things keeps working as well as it has been.

I have spare motors retrofitted for the Vroom System and a spare controller so I feel pretty good about things at this point.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:46 PM   #54

Model: Magnitude BH35
THOR #20053
I would be interested too in the feedback of the quad roller system. When I had Brian replace my slide system in my Magnitude BH35, in early June, he mentioned something about the system and asked if I would be interested in coming back down early next year and trying it out. Let me know what you find out. The VRoom system to me was a now brainer. I have total confidence in the system now and do worry if something was to fail, my wife and I would be able to push the slide in and at least get back on the road. No question best system on the market.
meyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:00 AM   #55

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
We just returned from a trip to Utah from California in our 2022 Thor Miramar 37.1. We stopped midway in Mesquite Nevada at the Casa Blanca Casino and R/V Park for one night each way. I levelled the coach and extended all 3 slides. The next morning the dinette slide would not retrack. It seems like the motor nearest the driver is out of sync. It would only move a few inches and crooked. I tried several times with the same results. I ended up doing an emergency slide controller override and was able to retrack the slide so we could continue on with our trip. The rest of the week I left that slide alone. That slide has the dinette and jack knife sofa on it. I had already scheduled a repair at my local dealership to replace the furnace control board so I added the slide to the list. The Axxera radio is acting up now. I no longer see the side mount cameras on the screen when I activate the turn signals plus my blue tooth for my cell phone is no longer working on it. I had it programed back in April and it worked at that time but has since stopped working. Since it is still under my warranty, I am adding it to the list. My generator has now started acting up and giving me a code (36). I tried reducing the amount of oil in it to see if that was the issue. I tried adjusting the altitude setting and it still shuts down. I changed the oil at 50 hours as per Onan requirements for a brand new generator and used Onan oil and Onan oil filter. It is on the list. I did get the Mobileye and Safe T Plus steering stabilizer installed a few weeks ago as well as added a fourth 12 volt cigarette lighter outlet to the dash. I am not upset and know things will eventually get fixed. I will plan on replacing the Axxera radio down the line once the warranty expires for a better set up. I emailed my dealership while on the road and they requested that I write up a detailed list of things to address and were sorry for the inconveniences I am experiencing. This isn't my first motor home and I expected things to come up during the initial break in period. I did average 8.8 mpg with the cruise set at 60 mph for the 1200 miles round trip. If that slide causes any more issues, I plan on looking at the Vroom slide system.

Paul
Old 08-08-2022, 05:45 PM   #56

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
So on July 20th we had the vroom installed on the RV.
see photo below of it in the shop...
The staff was Excellent ....They installed the unit and replaced one of the front slide rollers, and releveled the slide....They took the time to explain everything to us about how the system works, cranking in the slide manually and making sure that we had enough voltage to run the slide.
Was 3000 with taxes out the door....
The slide runs much faster than before and no clunking.
Glad we had it done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vroom.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	39062   Click image for larger version

Name:	vroom 1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	39065  

Click image for larger version

Name:	vroom 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	39066  
Old 08-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #57

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
So on July 20th we had the vroom installed on the RV.
see photo below of it in the shop...
The staff was Excellent ....They installed the unit and replaced one of the front slide rollers, and releveled the slide....They took the time to explain everything to us about how the system works, cranking in the slide manually and making sure that we had enough voltage to run the slide.
Was 3000 with taxes out the door....
The slide runs much faster than before and no clunking.
Glad we had it done.

Congratulations! I keep telling anyone who asks that anyone who invests in the Vroom Slide Mechanism to replace the Schwintek Mechanism is making one of the best upgrade / repair decisions they could make for their rv.

And Vroom is one of the best outfits you could work with in the RV industry.

P.S. What part of PA are you from seeing your license plate?
Old 08-09-2022, 12:12 PM   #58

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Judge
Grew up in Philly (Go Eagles)...currently live in Morrisville PA.....its right across from Trenton....
Old 08-09-2022, 12:42 PM   #59

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
Judge
Grew up in Philly (Go Eagles)...currently live in Morrisville PA.....its right across from Trenton....

I grew up just north of Pittsburgh (Go Steelers)... have a few friends from Philly. Been out that way many times for business and pleasure.

Glad you had a good experience with Vroom.... you won't regret it!