Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2022, 08:23 AM   #1
LDK

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Colorado
THOR #13190
To Vroom or not to Vroom?

I have an appointment in May in Tucson AZ to replace the Schwintek slide system with the Vroom system for all 3 slides on my 2019 Aria 3901.

Looking for any and all comments on whether this is a good decision to achieve a reliable slide system?

Cost will be ~$2500 per slide, or ~$7500 for the full coach.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:17 AM   #2
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Do you have any issues now with the slides?
The biggest issue with the Schinetck slide, is going out of sync. That can be mostly eliminated by making sure you hold the extend/retract switch for 5 seconds after the slide is fully opened or closed.

Vroom states that:
An important patented feature allows retracting a slide that has failed in the extended position to be retracted by hand using only a 3/4” wrench to disconnect the drive motor. The slide can then be pushed in by hand or wrenched in using a 7/16” wrench. No field repairman and break your neck ladder required.

This can be done already (without a 3/4 wrench)by pressing the button on the Schinteck module 6 times. It then goes into manual mode and you push the slide in.
Not sure what other benefits you are looking for.

IMHO, If you don't have an issues with your slide/s now, wait until you do (if ever) then maybe think of changing one or more out. There are many companies making aftermarket stuff and claiming they are the best. Be careful, If they are so small and go out of business, your out of luck for any parts or repairs.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:06 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
LDK Look up the Judge's review on the Vroom system. He had it installed on his coach and wrote up a great piece about the advantages of this system. He had several issues with the standard system used.

Paul
Old 02-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Larger slides certainly seem to benefit based on reviews
Old 02-15-2022, 03:48 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Are you SURE you have a problem with your system?
Based on my experience with the Schintek system, I would say:
1 - Make sure you hold the switch 5 seconds after all the noise have ceased.
2 - Make sure your batteries are holding voltage while operating the slides.
3 - If problems still remain, get in contact with Lippert and measure the slide position as per their procedure to check if the slide is within tolerance.

My full wall slide was slight out of position (point 3 above) and all the schinteck system was changed under warranty but I will be changing the house batteries in two weeks for I learned that they go to below 12V quickly when the furnace kicks in... If the slide controller sees a motor drawing high amperage (caused by low voltage) it will shut down that motor and give you a "short" code...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:08 PM   #6
LDK

THOR #13190
I wouldn't be considering changing if I hadnt had plenty of challenges with my slides. [emoji846]

Yes I have read Judges post.

Fortunately, all slides are working at the moment. Question is how long they will continue to work. In 3yrs, have not gotten through a year without one to multiple issues.

The large slide has by far been the biggest challenge. From failed motors to full system replacement.

I thought about changing just the large slide, but after talking with Brian Vroom, I decided to bite the bullet and change all 3 slides.

The driver for this direction is to try and achieve confidence in my coach, to achieve peace.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:09 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If you're headed back to Colorado anywhere between Albuquerque and Las Vegas I'll meet you along I-40 to buy your old slide systems. I can possibly pick them up in Tucson.

I'm building a HUGE set of drawers in my shop and those slides will be perfect.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:10 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34R
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post
....Fortunately, all slides are working at the moment...
That is what puzzle me in this.
Even in the worst of times before they put a new full system , it never got to a point that would not work. it was always random which lead me to believe that there is more involved than the schintek system.
The system worked w/o problems for 5 months so my question is why it worked and why it is (was?) randomly giving problems?

Unfortunately I was not able to test the new schintek too much for they changed it just before I winterized but if the system continue to have problems even after I change the batteries, Vroom will be my direction too.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:44 PM   #9
LDK

THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If you're headed back to Colorado anywhere between Albuquerque and Las Vegas I'll meet you along I-40 to buy your old slide systems. I can possibly pick them up in Tucson.

I'm building a HUGE set of drawers in my shop and those slides will be perfect.
Hello. No plans to head back to Denver. Will be staying in Phoenix area. My appointment is May 18/19. Check with me then and we can try to figure something out.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #10

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
I too have a appointment with vroom to replace mine. I have not ran into many issues with the original Schintek system but with a full slide its only time .The rear bottom track on mine is slowly getting marred and I keep filing it smooth... ILO replacing with the original Schintek sytem I felt that it would be a good investment to switch to the vroom since i am looking to keep the rv for many more years....
Old 02-15-2022, 07:06 PM   #11

Model: SV34
THOR #24580
In my opinion it's a good decision, as you say it will get your confidence back. Having an issue while out on the road or right before leaving for a trip could put a real damper on plans.

I also am slated for a Vroom install on a mega slide in late April. Best to you with your trip to AZ and the install.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:03 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
How much does this system cost and what is the price of labor? How much value does it add to the coach? Why are two tracks better than 3? I have had zero problems with the slide on my Hurricane 29M, so what would be the benefit?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:22 AM   #13

State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I am thinking that if I have any issues, I will make the trip to Vroom also. I discovered them too only after I ordered the Schwintek repair kit for my dinette slide. It worked before I rebuilt it but the tracks were not installed parallel, and they were wearing and the V-rollers had fallen apart. But I don't think I would put their system on the bedroom slide as it weighs almost nothing and in my opinion will work just fine as is. So far, our full wall slide has had no issues and since the rebuild the dinette slide is much quieter and smoother.
Mike
Old 02-16-2022, 04:39 AM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
What is the price for peace of mind? No one can answer that question for U. I have been following the Judge's journey to have Vroom installed. It seems to be a very good product and if we were to have issues with our slides in the future, we might consider the system. Seems to me that a company up here in RV country (Northern Indiana) would be a good location for a Vroom franchise.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:35 AM   #15

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
2800 for my full slide … it’s about the same price if I replaced the schwintek system.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:45 PM   #16

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
My extended warranty has paid for 2 repairs on full wall slide so far, when warranty is up I'll go with vroom. We're full-time so slides get a LOT of use,4 years in first 3yrs no problems.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:03 PM   #17

THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
2800 for my full slide … it’s about the same price if I replaced the schwintek system.
Thanks for the direct answer.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:06 PM   #18

THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
What is the price for peace of mind? No one can answer that question for U. I have been following the Judge's journey to have Vroom installed. It seems to be a very good product and if we were to have issues with our slides in the future, we might consider the system. Seems to me that a company up here in RV country (Northern Indiana) would be a good location for a Vroom franchise.
I would get no piece of mind from a new slide mechanism that says if it breaks I can easily disconnect it and crank it in with a 7/16" socket wrench. They are all but telling me that their system will fail.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:39 PM   #19

Model: SV34
THOR #24580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I would get no piece of mind from a new slide mechanism that says if it breaks I can easily disconnect it and crank it in with a 7/16" socket wrench. They are all but telling me that their system will fail.
Being able to manually crank in the Vroom system with a wrench is a very good thing for a full wall slide and well thought out in my opinion. If the schwintek fails and the override does not work you are screwed since there is no manual way to get the schwinteck full wall slide in, it's just to heavy.

If a failure were to happen in the extended position then you are stuck wherever you are until it can be repaired.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:47 PM   #20
LDK

THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
Any chance you could share a pic of the side of the slide so can see how the Vroom system looks?