RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
Posts: 10
THOR #18321
Warranty and Covid

I purchased a 2020 Thor Hurricane 29M in October 2019 and after one weekend put it in storage. Then came the Covid 19 so that we finally managed to use the new RV locally around May/June. In September we were camping in the rain and noticed a lot of water in the passenger side floor...enough to wring out a beach towel. We placed a pan under the leak and a 12X12 pan collected an inch more of water. We called the Thor help line and they said they made record of the leak for warranty purposes and that if I couldn't get it to a dealer by the end of the warranty they would cover the leak. And so we dropped it off at Camping World in Chattanooga. We received a call that there was $60 to repair the leak and $1600 in damages as the leak had probably been there for a long time but finally made its way into the cabin. They also informed me that Thor refused the claim. I called the Thor consumer line and was told that leaks were only warranted for 90 days and was the customers full responsibility. I explained the fact that the unit hadn't been driven for the 90 days after delivery due to the virus and further that I had been told it was covered. Finally I argued that the damage had to have occurred over a period of time and that it took a while to work its way into the cabin. The customer care rep simply said I couldn't prove it and they would not cover the cost even though it could have been a mistake even at the factory level. I guess I have no one to appeal to at Thor but believe this is very poor customer service given all the circumstances

Unhappy with Thor
__________________

__________________
alicephilhamilton@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,984
THOR #8860
If they want to say that leaks are only covered for 90 days; but that yours had been leaking for a while: tell them to prove that it didn't start leaking within that 90 fay timeframe...
Good luck!
__________________

__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 2,799
THOR #6826
Well that sucks! What a terrible way to start RVing. I suspect though that youíll be out of luck. Thor makes it very clear that they only are responsible for leaks discovered within 90 days. Itís the customerís responsibility to inspect frequently and thoroughly. Unfortunately dealers simply donít tell customers about that when buying. In fact, mine bragged about a 10 year roof warranty (itís for membrane breakdown, NOT, leaks).

Still, its totally worth trying to get help from Thor. Iíve found them to be pretty interested in supporting customers and given the unusual circumstances you might get some help. Good luck and, at least, youíre all fixed up.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,088
THOR #11781
The 90 day leak thing was something that make me think twice when we purchased our Hurricane. Lucky for us, we purchased during a period of heavy rain. We did have one small leak I fixed myself.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,402
THOR #12751
I would make another attempt with Thor Customer Service. Sometimes you get a person who doesn't have good customer skills or is lazy and does not want to do the work to escalate an issue.

Be polite and present the facts and follow it up with a letter as well. Document as much as you can with pictures, etc.

I would do the same thing with your dealer. Get them to push the issue with Thor so you are attaching the problem from two sides.

If Thor won't due the right thing, try working with your dealer. Maybe they will split the costs with you or they will cover parts while you cover the labor.

All that being said..... water intrusion is a constant battle with these rigs and water can do a lot of damage. On my coaches I end up cleaning the roof soon after purchase and laying down Eternabond tape over all the Dicor and every seam, vent, ladder mount, etc. Eternabond will stop / prevent any leak permanently and limit the need to continually inspect the roof and constantly adding Dicor in places.

But you can't stop there. You need to look at all the vertical surfaces that could have an entry point..... water tank cover, furnace cover, slide moldings, ladder mounts, etc. You should inspect and replace sealant at least once or twice a year.

Then you need to inspect and protect your slide seals regularly as well with an appropriate conditioner and protector.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of maintenance with an RV to prevent water leaks.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Oregon
Posts: 93
THOR #17449
Remember the old saying the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Start making phone calls. maybe E-Mails to senior management. Do you have dates and who your talked with in the first place. Or just pay the fine and move on.
__________________
GTM41261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
Posts: 10
THOR #18321
Thanks everyone some good suggestions which I appreciate. I guess I am spoiled since the Hurricane is my fifth RV as we are veterans for many years. The others include a 34 foot Pace Arrow and three Coachmen Motorhomes. I must say that in all the years I have never ever had a leak. However my previous Motorhomes were 20 years ago and at that time there were no slide outs (which by the way I prefer).

Thanks for everyone's help.

Phil
__________________
alicephilhamilton@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,984
THOR #8860
The best of luck to you with this
!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
Posts: 200
THOR #13505
What leaked? The roof or the window?

2020 rigs you get 10 year on roof warrantee I recall?

Thor installed my wineguard, what a joke install, if It had not failed and I replaced, would of never know they were jacking up my roof with their crap screws and lame dicor sealing job!
__________________
Retired Squid who has a retired squid that drives him around in a RV!
macdaddy1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #10
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,747
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
What leaked? The roof or the window?

2020 rigs you get 10 year on roof warrantee I recall?

Thor installed my wineguard, what a joke install, if It had not failed and I replaced, would of never know they were jacking up my roof with their crap screws and lame dicor sealing job!
Check, the roof warranty may be membrane material only.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau
State: Arizona
Posts: 5
THOR #20670
Roof Leak

If the dealer refuses to be your advocate on this issue, I would not stop there. Only 90 days coverage for a leak is crazy. Every business has had to make adjustments in thier policies during this pandemic. I would contact the consumer advocates at both your local newspaper and local television stations. The dealer does not want negative press, so they may try a little harder to plead your case with the manufacturer.
__________________
Guy Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:21 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 2,799
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Lombardo View Post
If the dealer refuses to be your advocate on this issue, I would not stop there. Only 90 days coverage for a leak is crazy. Every business has had to make adjustments in thier policies during this pandemic. I would contact the consumer advocates at both your local newspaper and local television stations. The dealer does not want negative press, so they may try a little harder to plead your case with the manufacturer.


I have learned - the hard way - that if it is being used/ driven new leaks can develop every few months. They are not a manufacturing defect but rather a product of movement and flexing inherent in a large, boxy, lightweight structure and the generally dismal sealants currently available. It gives a clue why you need to inspect and address your seams and penetrations 3 or 4 times a year. In my opinion, of course. It was an expensive lesson.....
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
Posts: 21
THOR #2995
UNHAPPY WITH THOR ALSO. My water heater failed in the first year of ownership. The repair station told me to submit the claim with Thor and it took me 6 months and many phone calls, resending my documents to get paid back. Buy the Good Sam Extended Warranty. I have a 2015 Thor Chateau 31W. We have owned the camper for 5 years- something somewhere is leaking- water gets on the floor from under the kitchen sink after it rains. 5he full wall slide has been tracking badly and binds up for 3 years ( had it serviced twice ), now the Schwintech slide system is being replaced at a cost of $4500 at Camping World. The leveling system has failed - the “AUTO LEVELING” system has power, but shows Low Battery with 13.6 volts in the batteries. A $356 computer module.
The Residential Fridge is a bad choice unless you are camping where you have Electric Every night. I have changed the Inverter to a “Full Sine Wave Inverter”, added more batteries because the Fridge would drain the batteries in 4 hours and it makes a loud clunking noise whe the compressor starts. Camping World said it was the “Modified Sine Wave Inverter” and not enough Battery AMPs. Carl @ 303-884-5884
__________________
Carlmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 2,799
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlmatt View Post
The Residential Fridge is a bad choice unless you are camping where you have Electric Every night. I have changed the Inverter to a “Full Sine Wave Inverter”, added more batteries because the Fridge would drain the batteries in 4 hours and it makes a loud clunking noise whe the compressor starts. Camping World said it was the “Modified Sine Wave Inverter” and not enough Battery AMPs. Carl @ 303-884-5884

Sorry you’ve had so many issues. I don’t really think it’s a Thor thing so much as just the way things are. I’ll bet you’re glad you have that warranty for your slide issues even though it’s a huge hassle. I had a $1400 slide repair on my last coach (Fleetwood) and had not bought a warranty. DW pretty much insisted on one when we bout our latest machine.

I agree with you on the residential fridge. They weren’t built for life on the road and they have a voracious appetite for power. For most people the simplicity and low energy demands of an absorption fridge makes much more sense. We had that on our list of “musts” when we went shopping. It took us 4 tries to get the right coach for us!!
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
Posts: 262
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicephilhamilton@msn.com View Post
I purchased a 2020 Thor Hurricane 29M in October 2019 and after one weekend put it in storage. Then came the Covid 19 so that we finally managed to use the new RV locally around May/June. In September we were camping in the rain and noticed a lot of water in the passenger side floor...enough to wring out a beach towel. We placed a pan under the leak and a 12X12 pan collected an inch more of water. We called the Thor help line and they said they made record of the leak for warranty purposes and that if I couldn't get it to a dealer by the end of the warranty they would cover the leak. And so we dropped it off at Camping World in Chattanooga. We received a call that there was $60 to repair the leak and $1600 in damages as the leak had probably been there for a long time but finally made its way into the cabin. They also informed me that Thor refused the claim. I called the Thor consumer line and was told that leaks were only warranted for 90 days and was the customers full responsibility. I explained the fact that the unit hadn't been driven for the 90 days after delivery due to the virus and further that I had been told it was covered. Finally I argued that the damage had to have occurred over a period of time and that it took a while to work its way into the cabin. The customer care rep simply said I couldn't prove it and they would not cover the cost even though it could have been a mistake even at the factory level. I guess I have no one to appeal to at Thor but believe this is very poor customer service given all the circumstances

Unhappy with Thor
I would be upset too and you should let Tom Overman in C.S. know how wrong this is. I have ALWAYS gotten good service with Thor but I am the Master at letting others have my way. They should absolutely cover this and I would contact your state Attorney Generals office and file a grievance or even consult a local attorney!!!! DO NOT QUIT ON THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
__________________
knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
Posts: 262
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I would be upset too and you should let Tom Overman in C.S. know how wrong this is. I have ALWAYS gotten good service with Thor but I am the Master at letting others have my way. They should absolutely cover this and I would contact your state Attorney Generals office and file a grievance or even consult a local attorney!!!! DO NOT QUIT ON THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Here's a fix that I have seen, not done but I bought a roll just incase. It's called "Eterna Bond" Roof Seal. I got the white 4" by 50' roll and it is the bomb. Most all on-line RV stores sell it. It's a better product than the TPO membrane they use on there roves. I'd get on top of your RV if you can't get it fixed and use it everywhere there's a seam, vent or vent cover, AC and along the sides where the roof turns down. Make sure when you put it down it's exactly where you want it cause it sticks fast and you can't pull it off which is what you want. It's thick and lasts for YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,402
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Here's a fix that I have seen, not done but I bought a roll just incase. It's called "Eterna Bond" Roof Seal. I got the white 4" by 50' roll and it is the bomb. Most all on-line RV stores sell it. It's a better product than the TPO membrane they use on there roves. I'd get on top of your RV if you can't get it fixed and use it everywhere there's a seam, vent or vent cover, AC and along the sides where the roof turns down. Make sure when you put it down it's exactly where you want it cause it sticks fast and you can't pull it off which is what you want. It's thick and lasts for YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I get in a new coach, I clean the roof and then apply EternaBond tapes in various widths to every seam, joint, and fixture on the roof. No more checking the roof and adding Dicor every 3 - 6 months.

Once I discovered they only give you a 90-Day warranty on leaks, I was quick to learn it was because the roof requires a lot of regular inspection and maintenance with the Dicor.

Eternabond is expensive but well worth it. I never have to worry about roof leaks once it is applied. It is just a little work to remove if you need to replace a fan, etc.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:43 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
Posts: 10
THOR #18321
Well it seems that Thor does monitor issues in the forum for on October 30 I received the following:

Chris D. Phifer <cdphifer@tmcrv.com>
Fri 10/30/2020 4:02 PM
Good afternoon. You had sent in a post regarding leak issues that were not covered. I wanted to touch base with you to let you know that this is currently under review. I wonít be able to get back with you on this until the first of next week but that itís under review for consideration. I canít promise anything but I will be sending this to management regarding the leak issue in the front of the unit to see what management says. Have a great weekend!



Thank you,



Chris Phifer

Customer Service/Dealer Tech Support

Thor Motor Coach

606 Nelsons Parkway

Wakarusa, IN 46573

P.O. Box 1486

Elkhart, IN 46515

Dealer: (877)500-1020 l Retail: (877)855-2867 l Fax: (574)294-3618

www.thormotorcoach.com

As of today, November 16 I have not received any follow up although I did respond that I had to pick the RV up. The leak was not in the roof it was on the passenger side under the window where a covering strip was not properly sealed. According to CW the water probably leaked for some time but it took many rains before it actually appeared in the cabin. It destroyed the passenger side speaker but the wood behind should be OK. I hope that at sometime I will receive a follow up from Thor.
__________________
alicephilhamilton@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
Posts: 10
THOR #18321
Finally received the following response today:

Chris D. Phifer <cdphifer@tmcrv.com>
Wed 11/18/2020 10:29 AM
Good morning Phil and Alice. Thank you for the update. My apologies for the delay. After further review, it has been determined that this is sealant maintenance not covered after 6 months from purchase. I do apologize but TMC will not participate with this issue.



Thank you,



Chris Phifer

Customer Service/Dealer Tech Support

While I could hire a forensic who could easily prove that the leak was going on perhaps even before the RV was purchased and took many rains to show up the amount of money involved isn't worth it. While my last request was only to replace the dead speaker on the passenger side which would have at least been a compromise, Thor refuses. This after a one of their reps several months ago told us not to worry that they would make a compromise since this occurred during the Covid crisis. So much for that. It seems that customer loyalty (this is our second Thor product in three years) means nothing and compromise is out of the question. Sad.
__________________
alicephilhamilton@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,227
THOR #3610
[QUOTE=knucklehead;26291 or even consult a local attorney!!!! DO NOT QUIT ON THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

This would/should your absolutely last choice!
The biggest benefactor in this scenario WILL be your lawyer!!!!
Thor most likely has a room full of lawyers that can stall this issue til you're too old to rv anymore while you're paying your lawyer his hourly rate.
You'd be money ahead to pay for the repairs or trade off the rv than to go the lawyer route.
__________________

__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×