Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 04:08 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike turner View Post
I've tried getting wiring diagrams from thor with no luck. How does anyone else get them?

I called the Thor Customer Service number and asked for them. I spent about an hour on the phone while he sent me absolutely everything he could think of. Before we hung up the phone I had 13 or 14 emails containing schematics and instructions specific for my VIN.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:33 AM   #42

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: California
THOR #7103
Dash Air Conditioner

When we were 2,000+ miles from our house we attempted to repair the dash air conditioning when it became intermittent. After a couple of days of tracing wires, replacing fuses, etc., we took it to Ford. The Ford technician could not find anything wrong and could not duplicate the problem. I called a Thor authorized service facility and was told it would be a first for Thor to work on dash A/C - they don't do chassis work. Feeling caught between the two, we just came home.

The A/C has been working, but because it was intermittent on our drive home we knew we still needed a resolution.

We found a post on this forum that said there were fuses "under the driver’s seat." For the life of us we could not find anything "under the driver’s seat." It was when we took another look at Ed Felker’s manual that we found that the fuses are in the storage compartment "under the driver's seat." OHHHHH . . . what a difference those few words made!

We started wiggling wires and testing. We found that a pin in one of the connectors was pushed part way out (see pic attached). We pulled on the wire and the pin came right out of the connector. We straightened the clip that would hold pin in place, re-inserted the pin, and plugged the connector in – everything works.

It was not straight forward, but at last we found the problem! Whoo Hoo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180819_092543277_HDR.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	12344  
Old 08-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #43

Model: four winds 31W
State: Virginia
THOR #9584
Send a message via Yahoo to caution
Diy

First RV/MH and I long determined that if I had to bring it back to dealer or CW for every issues I wouldn't own an RV.
Fixed so far:
1. Bad electrical - Bathroom GFI wouldn't reset. Replaced GFI, not change. Discovered outside outlet not sealed properly and full of water. Resealed. OK now.
2. Drawer below fridge: Sliding improperly. Took apart, discovered slide ball bearings all over floor. Took apart, put new slide in and reinforced the entire draw, slide bracing, etc. Drawers are all stapled. Took all big drawers out and put screws in to strengthen. Realigned slides, all working better now.
3. BIG ISSUE! RV only came with Thor manual and no manuals for all the systems. After much research on line, not through Thor, now have a binder 3 inches thick with manuals for all systems.

Several other issues, all minor, that if I had to bring back to dealer it would have taken forever. You get the idea.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #44

State: California
THOR #10354
DIY repairs

I do all of the repairs myself and have had very good experiences with Thor for supplying parts. e.g. new radio and harness, batteries, LED headlight strip, tire inflation valve extensions.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #45
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
Like most people I have a 3" binder full of Thor drawings and other information. I also own the 2018 F53/F59 Ford factory maintenance DVD.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #46

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #2441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
I do all of the repairs myself and have had very good experiences with Thor for supplying parts. e.g. new radio and harness, batteries, LED headlight strip, tire inflation valve extensions.

I too have performed all the repairs including pulling the slide out to align it correctly, welding broken welds, replacing the awning, Microwave and many other items, rewiring, correcting, adjusting and so on.

After 3 years I have this RV to the state it should have been when first delivered to me.

During the warranty period Thor drop shipped the parts (many of them) to my home, free shipping. I am very thankful for this arrangement as I did not have to take to the local Thor Dealer whose techs were often clueless on what to fix and how.

It would have been nice not to have spent many many hours of my time to correct the RV. Too bad Thor would not reimburse us for our time.

One positive aspect of this scenario is I now can fix just about anything on this RV on the road if the need arises (have all drawing plus my own creations) and I also have the comfort to know that what I fixed is done well and correctly.

My wife does not share this optimistic view. She wanted to sell six months after we purchased it as it was a very stressful first 6 months discovering what a disaster we had purchased.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #47

State: Texas
THOR #8636
Part of the Thor business plan is to be so backed up and so slow on repairs that owners do their own repairs. I've saved Thor thousands because we can't sit and wait weeks for an appointment, then weeks for repair approval and more weeks for the actual work to be completed. It's a very sad state of affairs!
Old 08-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #48
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnieHouTx View Post
Part of the Thor business plan is to be so backed up and so slow on repairs that owners do their own repairs. I've saved Thor thousands because we can't sit and wait weeks for an appointment, then weeks for repair approval and more weeks for the actual work to be completed. It's a very sad state of affairs!
Ah but that isn't Thor's business plan: That would be the dealers. In our experience Thor has always been responsive (within 24 hours of phone calls for information and parts shipped within a few days).

Many times when a dealer says they are waiting for parts from Thor a simple phone call to Thor reveals that the dealer hasn't even ordered anything from Thor nor contacted Them.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #49

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
JamieGeek, I find that true of my CW as well. I told them 3 times to order a part for me (should be covered under warrantee). Its been a month now. No part. Its ridiculous. I guess I should just tell them I will pay cash for it out of my own pocket but its just a trim piece so I can wait on it to see what happens.

I wish Thor had an on line parts site.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:52 PM   #50

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I keep reading on this forum that Thor is real responsive with sending parts. I have asked three times for simple things and they keep referring me to Camping World. When does this majical support begin? If it weren't for Amazon, eBay and my mechanical abilities I would never get to use my coach. I have personally fixed 13 of the 15 things discovered broken or faulty on the PDI walk thru or my camping trips. Every trip seems to add to the list. This last week, I found a cabinet door support shock thingie wedged under the slide causing a small tear in the floor covering. While I love my coach, Thor produces one of the shoddiest products in the RV world. And Camping World is useless as to customer support.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:06 AM   #51

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ah but that isn't Thor's business plan: That would be the dealers. In our experience Thor has always been responsive (within 24 hours of phone calls for information and parts shipped within a few days).

Many times when a dealer says they are waiting for parts from Thor a simple phone call to Thor reveals that the dealer hasn't even ordered anything from Thor nor contacted Them.
When I did take my RV to the dealer for repair, on the initial visit they usually had Thor's authorization for the repair and had ordered the parts within a hour or so of arrival.
For non-warranty work- Pensacola and the local area have at least 3 local RV repair shops (not dealers) that have good reputations.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:36 AM   #52
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
When I did take my RV to the dealer for repair, on the initial visit they usually had Thor's authorization for the repair and had ordered the parts within a hour or so of arrival.
For non-warranty work- Pensacola and the local area have at least 3 local RV repair shops (not dealers) that have good reputations.
You, sir, have a good dealer...an aberration.

RV Repair shops don't really count since they usually don't do warranty work and 99% of the bad comments are about warranty work.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:00 AM   #53

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #12340
A new owner of a 2016 axis from Lazy Days in Tampa I called on a Thursday for the install of the Safe T bar. Appt was made for the next day and was called by 1pm that it was done. I can't complain. I have an old leak somewhere up front and made an appt for Oct 1 (we are traveling til then). I have no complaints on the costs or the service so far. We purchased used and they have fixed anything we asked for in short order.