Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Seems there is a rash of dash related power problems lately with this line and NOTHING coming in the way of assistance from Thor. I'm retired and have the luxury of jumping and running whenever I wish. If I had this model with these problems, I would head straight to Thor's plant tomorrow morning and bust through some doors. Something is seriously wrong "up front" and no one wants to help. Wouldn't it be neat to see all you guys caravan up there and shut down the plant, blocking loading docks and the entrance to the facility until someone came out and got involved!!

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #22

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Dippy...how did they get Thor authorization for warranty work from a service company that doesn't sell Thor products? Did you initiate that?
I think they have some authorization number that they give Thor when contacting them. I heard them give a authorization number to Atwood when they ordered a relocation kit for my furnace. It was out of the Thor warranty but not out of the Atwood warranty. I'm sure it's the same process when they contact Thor.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We found a place called "Dr. RV", in Bloomingburg, NY
We'll give them a try with the whole winterization process in Mid-October, and see how it goes...
I spoke with these folks yesterday: They come to you, and winterize your RV on site.
This is just too cool!

They aren't an authorized Thor repair center; so they don't tackle warranty work. But if you're paying: they're spinning the wrenches!
It sounds pretty promising...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #24

THOR #11130
I feel getting the job done right the first time far outweighs getting it done under warranty. Having someone come to you is a luxury. With the previous TT I purchased 7 miles from home, one of the techs (who didn't live far from me) came over several times on his way home just to see how things were going. The first year he came by to winterize (which I don't do anymore) and checked everything out while there. As stated earlier...when you purchase an RV, you also adopt the responsibility of keeping it up and running on your own. If you have a serious issue and can get it resolved with warranty assistance in a reasonable time frame...good for you. My best advice to someone purchasing an RV...spend the first day or two crawling throughout the camper, open hatches, inspect all the plumbing, wiring and familiarize yourself with where everything is and how it works while you have no issues. Crawl underneath and get to know your camper like you know your kids. When something does go wrong its much easier to quickly isolate the issue and know what is happening in the area of the problem. Buy spare parts for the things that "move" the most and things that you can't live without (spare water pump and plumbing repair kit). It's a great lifestyle and knowing how to repair most everything sure will reduce the stress when something pops.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree... Be thorough!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1533904242
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Die Hard.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	12155  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Winterizing is easy peazy, just buy the pink stuff and do it yourself (or use your compressor if you're more inclined to blow out the lines).

Search the site here on "winterizing" or download Ed's manual there is a whole chapter on it in there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #27

THOR #11130
Never done it...always afraid I'd miss something. I think this year I'll blow everything out just in case we want to use it to run from the cold. Not much of a harsh winter here in ATL unless it gets below 20 for more than three days. I left furnace going last year on TT set at 45, turning it off when temps were above freezing. Easy to do when right next to the house. Used about 90# of propane. Never had an issue and we had a pretty bad winter.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Never done it...always afraid I'd miss something. I think this year I'll blow everything out just in case we want to use it to run from the cold. Not much of a harsh winter here in ATL unless it gets below 20 for more than three days. I left furnace going last year on TT set at 45, turning it off when temps were above freezing. Easy to do when right next to the house. Used about 90# of propane. Never had an issue and we had a pretty bad winter.
I've always winterized myself: All of our TT's, the 5er, now the Axis. Before that my brother and I used to make some extra $$ winterizing boats.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Hi Jamie,
I'd be too nervous about forgetting a line, and having a real mess in the Spring...
"Peace of Mind": can be quite valuable!

As Harry Callahan once said:

Old 08-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #30

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
We have taken RVs back to the dealer in the first year of ownership for issues plus I have fixed some items myself. Generally speaking, considering the 3 different makes we have experience with, warranty repairs at most dealerships leave a lot to be desired.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Hi Jamie,
I'd be too nervous about forgetting a line, and having a real mess in the Spring...
"Peace of Mind": can be quite valuable!

A relative had the same thought: since it was their first RV they'd let the dealer unwinterize (dewinterize? whatever)--they purchased it last winter.

We met them camping for their inaugural run. Thought they had a full tank of fresh water (assuming dealer did everything correctly)...

Nope: Tank was empty (they just filled the tank and out the open drain valve it went), system still had pink stuff in there and the bypass valves were still set for winter--dealer did nothing. In 3 minutes I had him ready to go at the campground and after a quick fill up he had fresh water LOL.

Sometimes the dealer has larger limitations than you do!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #32

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
Being in the south, I just do the quick winterizing. I empty the tanks, leave the low point drains open, open all the faucets, hook up the air compressor and blow out the lines. Leave the faucets open (don't forget the outdoor shower) and just pour the pink stuff in all the drains, make sure it gets into the Black and Grey tanks.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Sometimes the dealer has larger limitations than you do!
While I agree with you: the Dealership also has Products and Completed Operations Liability coverage...
When they're here: I'll be watching... and learning!
Old 08-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #34

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
It would have to be a near catastrophic failure before I would go back to any dealer. Several on here have had pre-approved parts shipped to them from Thor for DIY repairs under warranty. The drama and waiting lists at the dealers is more than I wish to deal with. Part of buying an RV is knowing how to fix an RV...and if you don't, someone on this forum will be able to help you.
Well Stated!!!
Old 08-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #35

Model: Thor 29M Hurricane
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7934
I've been back for numerous repairs required under warranty. I've been in to have an arm replaced on my canopy that I broke. The cost was horrendous. I have gotten Thor to send me a new radio which was up in the cabin. It was no longer under warranty maybe a month out. I got my dealer to apply for a work order under warranty and they got it approved. I brought them the radio to install it and it ended up being a mess because they put it in and it was the wrong radio and it blew out a number of circuits and fuses. It was there for three weeks. When I got it home and tested everything out the DVD switch box up in the cabinet did not work. They would not replace it and Thor would not warranty it. They wanted $180 Plus for it I got one on Amazon for 50 bucks.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #36

Model: 37gt Challenger
State: Arkansas
THOR #12432
Agree would have to be catastrophic for me to take to dealer. I actually have never been and have had gas class A's since 2000 ranging from 2005 windsport to 2014 challenger GT. I go to truck repair for engine and frame and learn/repair everything else.

Just had my leveler motor fail. Dealer $1500, found a rebuild shop in CA, $265 and bolted right in. I think if we went FT I may consider some level of warranty. Just was quoted 4000/4 years ( coach only, $500 deductible) from wholesale warranties. There are so many forums and videos on how to's these days I feel better if I learn the coach myself and work through the issue.

My Recommendation is:
Learn/repair as much as you can handle
Use a truck repair shop for engine/frame like brakes, transmission, engine etc
Small business owned RV repair for other you cannot handle
Catastrophic example = slide alignment, RV hydraulics
Old 08-18-2018, 11:00 PM   #37

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Warranty repairs Dealer vs owner

I have a 2018 THOR Siesta 24SS. I have contacted THOR directly twice for warranty parts which they promptly sent out to me directly. They have been very good at listening to my requests for the warranty parts (minor issues) and sending them out quickly. If it was a major issue, I would take it back to my dealer. The dealer fixed a sewage issue and a few minor issues after I made an appointment and left it with them for 3 weeks.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:39 AM   #38

Model: RW28
THOR #12200
Dealer or DIY

Definitely DIY. We've had Tents, Pop-ups, Travel Trailers, and Motorhomes, I would much rather do the work myself rather than spend the time and money at a dealer. For Chassis issues it goes to a Ford Dealer. We have a Class C MH on a F-450 Chassis, most Ford Service Departments work on them, at least I know the one we use in Florida will and the one we used in Tacoma, WA did.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:32 AM   #39

Model: windsport
State: Arizona
THOR #11948
I've tried getting wiring diagrams from thor with no luck. How does anyone else get them?
Old 08-19-2018, 04:06 AM   #40

State: Alabama
THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike turner View Post
I've tried getting wiring diagrams from thor with no luck. How does anyone else get them?

I asked Thor yesterday for wiring diagrams and they emailed them to me while I was on the phone with them. All they needed was the last 8 of my VIN.